Private Drone Surveillance

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Re: Private Drone Surveillance

Post by jlwilliams »

londonhunter wrote:Hi from Sunny england

We have the same issues here

we build a jammer with 3 megawatts aronud the frequencies of these amateur aircraft and BINGO everything comes down

one does not have to be on for long just 10 second burst and they will lose control

unless it is on military frequencies and encrypted

HAVE FUN with the pigeons
I like this.

If one is being surveilled or harassed by RC aircraft, this is a much better solution than shooting at them. Fighting them via radio jamming has the advantage of not being loud and clearly identifyable. People see you shoot a gun. People often have a preconceived aversion to guns and the people who use guns. Radio waves are far more discreet and likely more consistently effective. No video of the 'shooter' to play on TV, no legal issue of what direction did he shoot. No missed shots with the attendant issues of where the errant projectiles do go. Just a crash.

We will see more of this RC plane mounted surveillance from public and private snoopers. A couple years ago I read about these platforms in a different context. A local individual mostly known for his commentary cartoons (Don Bosquet) has a new persuit; RC aircraft photography. The article talked about how he is running great business selling aerial pictures of all sorts of stuff. Selling a million dollar plus waterfront property? It's worth it to have nice pics. Running an RC up to take some shots of the real estate (or a construction site for an invesment pitch, whatever) is affordable compared to hiring a helicopter and a photographer. Being me, my mind ran immediately to the less savory aplications. PIs can and will do stuff with this technology, and it won't be pretty.

I know that building inspectors use satelite imagery to bag people for un permitted construcion. What was once the perview of alphabet spy agencies has trickled down to town halls collecting fees. With the proliferation of low cost, on demand aerial surveillance we can expect every nosy douche with any agenda to use it to screw people. Maybe building a jammer like our new British friend describes is like buying a new gun to keep in the safe; just in case. A different sort of weapon for a different sort of threat.
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackson »

a drone can be sent in to film your actions on your own property but you cant take a cop,s picture.its only the beginning.
BoyceNoun

Post by BoyceNoun »

we build a jammer with 3 megawatts aronud the frequencies of these amateur aircraft and BINGO everything comes down

one does not have to be on for long just 10 second burst and they will lose control

What kind of jammer you build? phone jammer or gps jammer? Also, are there any other private surveillance?
Last edited by BoyceNoun on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

I wonder what state this was. Im wondering because all someone would have to say is that the drone was harassing their group and they felt threatened.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Encryption doesn't prevent jamming, just eavesdropping and spoofing.
You could always jam the gps signal and unless it can detect the issue and fall back on inertial guidance, it's screwed.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

LeftEyeMike wrote:RC aviation is another of my hobbies. This wont soon be a problem, the FAA is working on rules regarding the flight of private drones. Basically if the aircraft is being flown out of direct visual contact of the operator, they will need to be licensed. Other rules are under proposal that would affect, any craft used for commercial or non-hobby purposes...
There are already rules in place.

I've had a couple of demos from a boiler inspection company. They have started using drones to do internal inspections for power utility boilers (imagine being inside a 250' tall furnace, and you get the picture). They can do a pretty good inspection without the need to deslag the boiler, install scaffolding, etc. They also plan to use this for smoke stack internal & external inspection, transmission line inspections, etc.

They told me the FAA had shut them down for anything "outside". Launching and flying inside a boiler is fine. Launching from the inside of a smoke stack is fine. But if they had broken the plane at the top of the stack, they would have been in violation.

They said the FAA regulates "hobby" stuff differently. If they were to take their drone out to a field and fly it recreationally, it's just fine. As soon as they start using it for "commercial / non-hobby" purposes, it falls under a different set of rules. They eventually got things worked out, but there was some licensing and other hoops to jump through.

While the animal rights group usage of the drones was likely not "commercial" use, it could likely be argued it was not "recreational" use either. Might be an angle to pursue.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I wonder what insurance must or should be carried to fly a drone.It may not weigh 10lbs but even a few ounces can cause damage or death with a impact.For now I will keep my falcon that likes to hunt in its air space and my BBQ going to cook what he kills. :mrgreen:
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

An AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership gives you $1M liability coverage. Most R/C clubs require this membership to join up.

ETA: I *think* that only covers you with models under 10 lbs(?).
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

rockman96 wrote:An AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership gives you $1M liability coverage. Most R/C clubs require this membership to join up.

ETA: I *think* that only covers you with models under 10 lbs(?).
If you fly beyond line-of-sight, you're outside of the scope of AMA. (Read: They don't like hobby UAVs.)
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

i almost shot down a pelican playing skeet a few years ago at my local gun range near the bay.The darn thing just happened to fly low right over the range right as the clay went flying.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Another strategy.

Reminiscent of the 1950s to 1960s MAD Comic
strip 'Spy Versus SPY' [ more reality in that humor ]
why not get your own drone, along with some other buddies, armed with that
stringy foam spray that kids slime each other with.

One is not viscous or wanting to destroy property, just
good sophomoric fun. Aerial combat games in 3-D.

Like the beginnings of WW I when Sopwith Camel pilots and the
Germans went from giving each other the finger to shooting
with pistols to French fighter Roland Garros synchronizing
MG bullets between propeller gaps.

Name the opponents's drones 'Fokker's' [ you supply the jokes ] and say you were reliving WW I and
the Red Baron, Charlie Brown to get kids to learn history.

In the vein of the venerable South Boston Motto, which Mayor Curley and
the Kennedy's made famous:
Do Not Get Mad, Get Even. :) :)

SPLAT!!!!!!
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

This is my solution to unwanted UAV's. You could post a air turbulence warning. http://youtu.be/GteGbZeKsOI
http://youtu.be/QrgTtZXuj4w
Don't get Mad get even indeed.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895