Act of Valor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

LEON54
Silent Operator

Act of Valor

Post by LEON54 »

Off topic, but a must see for anyone!
Awesome movie
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: Act of Valor

Post by delta9mda »

saw it last night. i say go see it. i may see it again. i say go see it. did i say go see it already?

wife was crying at the end but im not giving anything away.
NP
dbrown
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dbrown »

I enjoyed it as well. Go see it
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Good movie not great movie, I did not find the threat they were fighting against credible. Since they are not actors the acting was not smooth, I am ok with that, of course they had to Hollywood it up for the cameras.

Two houses over from me lives a family who's son was one of the 16 seal's killed in the Helo crash his name was on the list at the end.

Worth seeing, emotion runs high like any war movie.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
DorikinGTSt
Silent But Deadly

Post by DorikinGTSt »

David Hineline wrote:Good movie not great movie, I did not find the threat they were fighting against credible.
Let me get this straight PAL, you mean you don't believe that there is Al CIA'da under every rock? You don't think we have to fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here (in case THEY ever decide it makes more sense to kill a white guy on the other side of the planet instead of down the street, learn to read, get a hold of a map, and a plane ticket, and passport, visa, and lug an unexploded 500lb. bomb and a Nokia onto a plane)?!?!!?

You mean you actually know the FACT that I am more likely to die of a bee-sting than an act of terrorism?

Then why the hell am I paying to have brown people assassinated if they are no threat?!?

Does the GOVERNMENT know you don't cower in fear every day? You must be MAD!!!!!

Do you own a firearm SIR?!? You could be a threat to multi-national corporate, er, US... yeah, US INTERESTS across the globe, WE CANNOT HAVE THAT!
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

No I do not think that 16 explosive jackets full of glass marbles is a serious threat worthy of the effort they went to attempt to get them into the US to blow up a handfull of people. There was nothing in those explosive jackets you could not make from the local hardware store already in the US.

When they exploded they could at best clear out one smallish room.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Movie was good for a made for tv movie.
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

So, is this movie better or worse than ones that feature professional wrestlers as actors?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

GTFord1 wrote:So, is this movie better or worse than ones that feature professional wrestlers as actors?
Inherently the wrestling movies feature better actors. :)
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

chrismartin wrote:
GTFord1 wrote:So, is this movie better or worse than ones that feature professional wrestlers as actors?
Heh.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

there is nothing wrong with the movie or the way the seals "acted". you want acting then watch arnold and stallone etc.

the vest idea was not a huge threat as it could have been but it is possible (maybe they didnt want to give out some ideas of other nasty things they may have stopped already?).

great movie with a story too. for the haters i think ill go see it again.
NP
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I haven't seen the movie but I heard the Seals were used more as props than actors, more like walk-ons. Although I'm sure consultation from there battle experience was invaluable.

I've seen a couple trailers which tend to support other things I've read that the camera work is shaky, choppy and spatially disjointed. If it is I'm sure that's what the director was going for, trying to convey the "feel" of battle. I may see it eventually but I'm not in a hurry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

delta9mda wrote:you want acting then watch arnold and stallone etc.
Yeah.
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

chrismartin wrote:
Zing!
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

Man, I am old. I have not been to a movie in ages. I might just go see this one.
Now to go get a loan to see the movie....
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

I liked it, acting was as expected. I'm assuming he was shooting subs out of the suppressed sniper rifle at the beginning :lol:
Keep calm, and suppress on
JDrin

Post by JDrin »

saw it about 4 hours ago. I would call it a more tactically proficient movie than 98% of others. some Hollywood tech for viewing pleasure, not overdone, no superpowers, they needed to reload, no magic bullets, well done.

Having a personal story line to identify with the team is necessary , but is not the focus of this film like Jarhead.

Wife got mad that I was hurting her hand.

2 up. I liked it. recommend.

I am not known here yet. I reference my experiences from Mil and Gov't work.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

see, told you haters. :mrgreen:
NP
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

ChimeraPrecision wrote:I liked it, acting was as expected. I'm assuming he was shooting subs out of the suppressed sniper rifle at the beginning :lol:
my thought exactly . . . hollywood quiet for real :mrgreen:
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

I liked the movie. My son, who is going off to the Navy on 3-13, liked it also. The SWCC boat scenes were especially interesting as my son had earlier expressed an interest in that part of the Navy. The seven month wait has given him a lot of time to research assignment options. I considered it a good recruiting film much like Top Gun was back in the mid 80's, which is how this film was originally planned, according to a DOD response. I remember coming out of the theater in Barcelona, Spain, where Top Gun was playing, and the teenagers were all talking about how they all wanted to be in the US Navy. I'm sure this film will have the same impact.

My only issue was the use of red lasers. I thought the military only had the IR lasers visible via NVG's. Was it a movie only thing or does the military actually have red lasers?
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Stout wrote:I liked the movie. My son, who is going off to the Navy on 3-13, liked it also. The SWCC boat scenes were especially interesting as my son had earlier expressed an interest in that part of the Navy. The seven month wait has given him a lot of time to research assignment options. I considered it a good recruiting film much like Top Gun was back in the mid 80's, which is how this film was originally planned, according to a DOD response. I remember coming out of the theater in Barcelona, Spain, where Top Gun was playing, and the teenagers were all talking about how they all wanted to be in the US Navy. I'm sure this film will have the same impact.

My only issue was the use of red lasers. I thought the military only had the IR lasers visible via NVG's. Was it a movie only thing or does the military actually have red lasers?
In addition to red we also have and use green lasers.
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

Yes the PEQ-15 has a Visible Aiming Laser that is red.
JDrin

Post by JDrin »

the PEQ-15 is what was mounted on there m-4's.

it has multiple selection of IR laser / IR flood in different powers
and an option for a visible 5mw red.

in comes in handy during day ops when you enter a building and/or dawn dusk.

if you have all your NVG stuff on the IR is great. if going through a lot of light transitions or a light source saturated area that would flash your NV the red is nice.

as for the move: no, you shouldn't leave your red on all the time like that (can, but shouldn't). the PEQ-15 has a pressure pad switch. I think that was for the continuity of thought for the viewer.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

JDrin wrote:the PEQ-15 is what was mounted on there m-4's.

it has multiple selection of IR laser / IR flood in different powers
and an option for a visible 5mw red.

in comes in handy during day ops when you enter a building and/or dawn dusk.

if you have all your NVG stuff on the IR is great. if going through a lot of light transitions or a light source saturated area that would flash your NV the red is nice.

as for the move: no, you shouldn't leave your red on all the time like that (can, but shouldn't). the PEQ-15 has a pressure pad switch. I think that was for the continuity of thought for the viewer.
I'm not .mil but I do build lasers in my free time. 5mw would produce a visible dot NOT a visible beam. 200mw is about minimum for seeing a red beam at night. below is a picture of my 500mw 405nm laser

Keep calm, and suppress on
JDrin

Post by JDrin »

you are correct.
in the absence of smoke/dusty room, you can not see the beam of the PEQ-15 red laser

Dimensions: 4.6” L x 2.8”W x 1.6”H
Weight: 7.5 oz. w/Batteries
LED Output: >6 Hours in Dual High
Lithium Battery Power: 6V from One (123)
Waterproof: 6m for one hour
Visible Aim Laser:
- Output 4.0 mW<(mine said 5mw)
- Beam Divergence 0.5 mrad
- Wavelength 605-665 nm
- Range >25m

IR Aim Laser:
- Output Power LOW 600 μW
- Output Power HIGH 25mW
- Beam Divergence 0.5 mrad
- Wavelength 820-850 nm
- Range >600m (LOW), 2000m (HIGH)