What .308 Can for 5.56 and 300 Blackout?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Which can?

AAC 762-SD
41%
Liberty Freedom
13%
Thompson Machine Thirty
3%
Other (specify)
44%

Total votes: 32

EagleKeeper

What .308 Can for 5.56 and 300 Blackout?

Post by EagleKeeper »

According to Major Malfunction (who is a very busy person, too busy to take my money it seems) the 762-SD comes out ahead in his 300 Blackout testing, but the results are so close (2 db differences between loudest and quietest with 10 shot average at the ear) that it seems that all of them are about the same. However, he did not test the Liberty Freedom or Thompson Machine Thirty. Would it be safe to assume these two cans would be in the same range as those tested? If so it comes down to features, and obviously the lightest can is the best and $$$ also plays a factor. If you had $1k to spend what would you get?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: What .308 Can for 5.56 and 300 Blackout?

Post by Bendersquint »

EagleKeeper wrote:According to Major Malfunction (who is a very busy person, too busy to take my money it seems) the 762-SD comes out ahead in his 300 Blackout testing, but the results are so close (2 db differences between loudest and quietest with 10 shot average at the ear) that it seems that all of them are about the same. However, he did not test the Liberty Freedom or Thompson Machine Thirty. Would it be safe to assume these two cans would be in the same range as those tested? If so it comes down to features, and obviously the lightest can is the best and $$$ also plays a factor. If you had $1k to spend what would you get?
Not too busy to take your money, he deals with dealers only.

Unfortunately you can not assume anything between different companies or even different silencers within the same company.

I have heard and spoken with Dave at Liberty and his Freedom is a top performer.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

762-SD has been discontinued, although you might still find one at a dealer somewhere. 762-SDN-6 is the way to go for your application.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

700PSS wrote:762-SD has been discontinued, although you might still find one at a dealer somewhere. 762-SDN-6 is the way to go for your application.
Are those 1K or sub?
JDrin

Post by JDrin »

I have the SDN-6 in the mail for use on .308, 5.56, and 300BLK.

my deciding factors are:
it will be shared on 3 (maybe more) host, I feel the mounts simplify the swap.
longevity of life, the internals being HD inconel erosion resistant.
Its a bit shorter.
I'm prior mil, the can says "front toward enemy" apparently I need to be reminded of this.
it looks really cool, the chicks dig it.

I got a smoke-n deal and outstanding support from Scott at Silenced America.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Bendersquint wrote:
700PSS wrote:762-SD has been discontinued, although you might still find one at a dealer somewhere. 762-SDN-6 is the way to go for your application.
Are those 1K or sub?
Depends on where you buy it from. Was well under $1K for me.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

I ordered an Elite Iron Bravo 1 for use on my 300 BLK, but it will be months before I can tell you if it works as well as the dealer said. :D

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I'd go Freedom/Victory hands down..Its hard to really see whats going on in that core but I can tell you its fancy!! :D Big loops on one side..Spooky quiet and on .223 simply amazing. My SOT's gunsmith is buying a Victory after shooting mine in his bullet trap in his 8 x 15 shop..Fella doing a title 1 transfer thought they were doing subsonics..(no crack that close)

I just had them start a Victory Magnum for my 7mm Mag..This opened up a whole other kind of shooting for me..Just grabbed and AR-10 for it last week as well.

I need to find out what an 8'' blackout barrel meters without a can to compare to Dave's numbers (Or does it even matter? complete burn I think on 8 inches..)..He used my 16 inch upper and then they were gonna cut it down and meter again but the numbers were so good and it shoots so good I told them just to let it go..I may do a short upper but honestly don't see the point for that round right now..120db's on a 16''!!!

Right now I'm using the Mystic/Infiniti right now for my Blackout because 125db's isn't shabby and don't have my stamp yet on the Victory..great choice if your not gonna shoot full power 308..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vgxx15O ... ature=plcp
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
u52
Silent Operator

Post by u52 »

I would get the SDN-6. Or should I say, when I have the money.....I WILL get it! AAC is the s--t :D

Allen Arms has them in stock w/ Blackout for under $1K too.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I have the SDN-6 and like the size and use on all kinds of cal and hosts. A very nice can but I wonder about AAC these days with the big Corp bean counters and the mount changings pisses me off too!

For blackout subs I may use my 9 can for size weight.

I vote "other". :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Am using an SAS Ti Arbiter .30 cal can for 5.56, 6,8, 300 BLK, and .308 Win. Is doing a wonderful job for me. I wouldn't change the choice at all.

I do have a Form 4 request in for a 5.56 can for use on an 11.5" M16 where titanium isn't a good idea.
Hoop
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hoop »

Our FEMUR is rated to 300 win mag and works well on all sub calibers. 14 oz., 9"

However, we just developed a shorter version of the FEMUR that is 7". Sound is no different in both super and sub loads with a 300blk vs the 9" Femur. .308 has slightly louder poof vs. the longer version.

This shorter version can be used on .30 cal and below but was specifically developed for the 300blk. on the SBR AR15 platform.

It will be out soon.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

www.hooperordnance.com
elcapitan1
Silent Operator

Post by elcapitan1 »

Just got my SDN6 a couple weeks ago and I love it !

I've had two people ask me what the gun sounded like without the can.

Uh! Like a gun!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

IMO, if you don't already own any AAC cans, getting any 51T can right now is foolish. They've already shown a replacement for that mount.

Then again, the 90T cans and mounts are more expensive. But this is NFA, are you really trying to save money?
VanKamp
Silent But Deadly

Post by VanKamp »

N6 or hold out for 90 tooth SR7 if you're not in a hurry. If you think you won't have buyers remorse once people start flashing their shiny new 90 tooth SR7's around here, go with the N6.
EagleKeeper

Post by EagleKeeper »

Cool thanks for all the responses. I know the N-6 is the new hot thing on the block (right now) but according to Maj Malfunction it is one of the worst performing (from a db point, it definitely wins on weight length and looks!) for a SBR 300 Blackout. I don't have much info to go on, but this test shows it averaging 133 at the ear with a 136.5 FRP. http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... -300BLK-AR. So I really was thinking about the 762-SD due to its great performance on FRP and overall low db numbers. But I really don't have much info to go on, so thanks for all the feedback.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

Chondro wrote:I'd go Freedom/Victory hands down..Its hard to really see whats going on in that core but I can tell you its fancy!! :D Big loops on one side..Spooky quiet and on .223 simply amazing. My SOT's gunsmith is buying a Victory after shooting mine in his bullet trap in his 8 x 15 shop..Fella doing a title 1 transfer thought they were doing subsonics..(no crack that close)

I just had them start a Victory Magnum for my 7mm Mag..This opened up a whole other kind of shooting for me..Just grabbed and AR-10 for it last week as well.

I need to find out what an 8'' blackout barrel meters without a can to compare to Dave's numbers (Or does it even matter? complete burn I think on 8 inches..)..He used my 16 inch upper and then they were gonna cut it down and meter again but the numbers were so good and it shoots so good I told them just to let it go..I may do a short upper but honestly don't see the point for that round right now..120db's on a 16''!!!

Right now I'm using the Mystic/Infiniti right now for my Blackout because 125db's isn't shabby and don't have my stamp yet on the Victory..great choice if your not gonna shoot full power 308..
120db!!!!! I don't see anyone else claiming to get these #'s. Why isn't anyone making a big about this! The best I have heard is from AAC claiming 125-126db. That is a huge difference !
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

EagleKeeper wrote:Cool thanks for all the responses. I know the N-6 is the new hot thing on the block (right now) but according to Maj Malfunction it is one of the worst performing (from a db point, it definitely wins on weight length and looks!) for a SBR 300 Blackout. I don't have much info to go on, but this test shows it averaging 133 at the ear with a 136.5 FRP. http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... -300BLK-AR. So I really was thinking about the 762-SD due to its great performance on FRP and overall low db numbers. But I really don't have much info to go on, so thanks for all the feedback.
That is ONE test, ONE temp, ONE 8" barrel, ONE ammo, One tester, One testing device, ONE day. And it wasn't the worst. You need much more than that! :roll:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
EagleKeeper

Post by EagleKeeper »

Buzduk wrote:
Chondro wrote:I'd go Freedom/Victory hands down..Its hard to really see whats going on in that core but I can tell you its fancy!! :D Big loops on one side..Spooky quiet and on .223 simply amazing. My SOT's gunsmith is buying a Victory after shooting mine in his bullet trap in his 8 x 15 shop..Fella doing a title 1 transfer thought they were doing subsonics..(no crack that close)

120db!!!!! I don't see anyone else claiming to get these #'s. Why isn't anyone making a big about this! The best I have heard is from AAC claiming 125-126db. That is a huge difference !

I saw that on their website and I also find it unbelievable. Really need side by side testing on the same day, same platform, same ammo, etc before you can draw any major conclusions. Which is why I like Maj Malfunctions test, I just wish it was done with Liberty's cans as well.