Best/Quietest AR-15 Suppressor, Any price.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Best suppressor brand?

Liberty
10%
Silencer Co
17%
Ops Inc
7%
Yankee Hill
5%
AAC
42%
Surefire
8%
SWR
10%

Total votes: 59

quietkills

Best/Quietest AR-15 Suppressor, Any price.

Post by quietkills »

Hi my name is Dylan and I'm new to suppressors and silencer talk forums. I have a Daniel Defense AR-15 in 5.56/.233 caliber and I was just looking for the best or quietest suppressor available today. Some things I want on it:

-QUIET
-Quick Detach/Attach

Thanks for the help everybody!
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best/Quietest AR-15 Suppressor, Any price.

Post by tsands974 »

quietkills,

First off, welcome to the forum. Second, you need to realize that a "quiet" 5.56 AR platform is very relative. To me, my 10.5" suppressed 5.56 AR platform sound like an unsuppressed .22 lr, not quite hearing safe. That being said, there are many quality cans out there. Do some research of the companies you've listed in your poll, decide which aspects you are looking for in a can, and make your decision from there (ie. weight, length, supression, durability, etc). Also, if it's an option available to you, go to a dealer and test some of the models you are interested in.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

spr/m4
NP
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

quietkills wrote:Some things I want on it:

-QUIET...
Even suppressed 5.56 is not that quiet. If you haven't heard it, I suggest you do so you have a realistic expectation.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

delta9mda wrote:spr/m4
This or a custom integral
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Abiqua wrote:
quietkills wrote:Some things I want on it:

-QUIET...
Even suppressed 5.56 is not that quiet. If you haven't heard it, I suggest you do so you have a realistic expectation.
Not very quiet to the shooters ear but you can hear the diference when standing
20+ feet away.
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

Nfa talk has great free data on db reduction
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

/thread
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

renegade wrote:
/thread
The Ops Inc 12th model and the SPR-M4 will meter the same (about 131-132 dB). With the action noise, most people can't tell the difference between 131-136 or even higher. The ejection port and sonic crack are just that loud.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

You may gain some quietness with the SPR/M4 in that it might reduce port noise.... other than that.... outside of the shooter's position, they all sound the same to me.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Dylan,
Will this be your first suppressor ever? If so, I would suggest suppressing just about anything but the .223. Maybe a .22LR...or a 9mm. The .223 suppressed is kinda disappointing. If you're set on suppressing the .223, maybe get a Liberty Mystic so you can use it on a 9mm as well. Definitely shoot a suppressed .223 before you plunk down your hard earned cash.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

I have to agree with the other posts. 5.56 is not a good platform for your first suppressor. The sonic crack of the bullet is very loud, and nothing can be done about that other than shooting subs and then you might as well shoot .22LR.

If you absolutely have to get 5.56 can, do anything that you can to see/shoot one yourself before buying. They do reduce the sound a fair amount from a distance, so just be sure that your expectations are reasonable. None of them are really hearing safe for the shooter. I think that a good .22 can would be a much better choice for your first one.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

I hear a lot of people recommend that 'new' guys not get a 5.56 can for their first go-round. I understand the logic/reasoning. But, unsure that I completely agree. Yea, a 22lr or 9mm can with subs is going to be stupid quiet while centerfire rifle cans aren't exactly like movie whisper-silent. But how do people really not know this? Do folks just run out and buy a suppressor without any practical experience, never having shot or heard one? If so, why?

The first can I owned was a 5.56 rifle suppressor and it didn't disappoint me one little bit. An incredible improvement over unsuppressed. It ain't "silent" but no supersonic cartridge will ever be, it just won't. That's physics. No matter what can is on the end of your rifle. I went and shot/heard some different cans so I had reasonable expectations prior to my purchase. I simply wanted to hunt/shoot without hearing protection and that's exactly that I got. It's perfect for my needs. Your needs may be quite different though.

Ultimately, it's up to the buyer to beware. Do your homework and research first. Ask around. Get some practical experience. Go shoot some cans. Know what you're buying and why, before you jump in. Then you won't be disappointed.

p.s. there isn't a 'best' suppressor. It really depends on your application. Determine that first. The most 'quiet' may not be the 'best' for your needs.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
T_Tactical
Senior Silent Operator

Post by T_Tactical »

The reason people say that the 556 is loud is because there isn't a good suppressor on the market for it yet. Give Red Jacket some time and they will bring the dB level of the 556 down to about 110 dB. Hell they made the 50 BMG hearing safe at 118 dB so the 556 isn't a problem. :lol:
Confederate

Post by Confederate »

No suppressor is able to eliminate ballistic "crack" of supersonic bullet, but noise of report towards the shooter is usually not louder than snap of .22 rimfire rifle, shooting Hi-Velocity .22 LR cartridges. Using custom-loaded 5.56 x 45 mm subsonic rounds (muzzle velocity ca. 300 m/s or 1000 fps) the noise of the shot is not very much more audible than is the hammer click of a dry-fired rifle. The T8AR Scout Reflex Suppressor is available for the M16.
Gdavis24

Post by Gdavis24 »

No, red jacket absolutely did not get a .50 cal down to 118db. That is impossible with any supressor. The sonic crack of the round is louder than that. They had to have used subsonic .50 ammo or something. I watched that episode and the meter wasnt in the right place to take an accurate reading. There are certain places you have to set up the meter. Its something like one meter high and one meter left of the muzzle or something. I also watched a video of a guy that used subsinic 50 ammo using a suppressor and it was around 118 db, but i didn see where he had his meter set up.
Homer
Silent Operator

Post by Homer »

G'Day Fella's,

In my experience, for light weight (365Grams), 1 1/2" Dia and only 4 3/8" long, the all stainless steel S.F.I. "Silent Partner" TM, is the pick of them!
FYI, they are designed and made in Australia!!!

Unfortunately, I don't know how to post an image, so I'm unable to show you what they look like.

Doh!
Homer
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

deleted
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

+1 for SPR/M4
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
Timc

Post by Timc »

Can't say if it is the quietest or not but my Liberty Torch does a pretty darn good job!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQyWYQfx ... e=youtu.be
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

Timc wrote:Can't say if it is the quietest or not but my Liberty Torch does a pretty darn good job!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQyWYQfx ... e=youtu.be
+1 for the torch QA
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/