Great News!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Great News!

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

Great News! According to Red Jacket firearms and their measurements, they just suppressed a .50 cal rifle down to 118 dbs.... can't wait for some jackass to tell me my osprey is loud because it's not as quiet as a Red Jacket .50 cal can...
Don't be an internet tough guy...
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Re: Great News!

Post by dj_fatstyles »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID
ToyotaGuru
Silent Operator

Post by ToyotaGuru »

They are so good they had an unsuppressed 50bmg down to 137db :shock: :lol:
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

I really hope a flood destroys the facility, they are giving sportsmen a bad name
Keep calm, and suppress on
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

game changer.
NP
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

delta9mda wrote:game changer.
:) :)

Smells a bit too GAMY to me.
But I will be nice and suspend judgement.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Are they planning on putting 3 of these together and spinning them around for no apparent reason?
LP
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

That Gamey smell is his daughter, and her snaggly teeth.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

They where using the new Anguila Super Colibri 50 bmg round.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

BISHOP wrote:That Gamey smell is his daughter, and her snaggly teeth.
Hahahahahaha
shutrbkr
Silent Operator

Post by shutrbkr »

rogerme wrote:They where using the new Anguila Super Colibri 50 bmg round.
Now that there is funny!!!
....Because I'm that damn good!
gunnyragg

Post by gunnyragg »

As a FFL type 7 manufacturer with SOT, my wife and I watch SOG and have become increasingly skeptical of the BS on that show. The credibility factor of anything they say and do there is rapidly approaching zero.

A few shows back, the scene of them removing a de-milled mortar tube from a mortar Will had picked up "from a junkyard" was a hoot! Was I the only one that noticed the pipe wrench was on backwards?

This last show where the .50 unsuppressed was 137 -- while db wasn't actually mentioned with the reading of the number, but was certainly implied -- really tore it. Then the number 119 was applied to the "suppressed" version. Earlier in the show, Will had used the db word and said they planned to get below 120 db without losing any velocity or range. Then they proceed to heavily port the barrel and are seriously disappointed when the velocity dropped substantially. Well, DUH! Anyone should have known that would be the case.

I probably would have just had a private laugh about it and chalked it up to just unreal "reality" TV, until three guys came into the shop yesterday afternoon. They had seen the show and were interested in suppressors. I spent some time explaining that a full-power .50 unsuppressed is closer to 190 db than it is to 137 db. After I dispelled that BS, I proceeded to demo suppressors that I have built and a good time was had by all.

On the one hand, I guess I should thank Red Jacket, et al, for fostering interest in exotic weaponry and accessories. On the other hand some people actually believe this show is real and those of us who actually live reality have a hard time living up to the myths.

How about the "DIRECT IMPINGEMENT" AR from RJF? Until the relatively recent piston operated models, all AR's have been DI. The design actually goes back to at least 1942 with the Swedish AG42 battle rifle which spawned the Hakim and Rashid. I have no doubt the RFJ is a fine rifle, but where is the innovation?

Yes, Will, I can try this at home.
If a man can't think out of the box, they might as well bury him in it.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

gunnyragg wrote: The credibility factor of anything they say and do there is rapidly approaching zero.

Then they proceed to heavily port the barrel and are seriously disappointed when the velocity dropped substantially. Well, DUH! Anyone should have known that would be the case.

On the one hand, I guess I should thank Red Jacket, et al, for fostering interest in exotic weaponry and accessories. On the other hand some people actually believe this show is real and those of us who actually live reality have a hard time living up to the myths.
Approaching zero? They went negative IMHO within the first 5 shows.

LOL my wife was yelling at me " they can not hear you you know" while I was yelling at the tv saying BS it will drop like a stone if you port the barrel.

This the show has done but at what cost? I have been asked three times while out shooting is that one of those red jacket silencers? To them I reply hell no these are real suppressors.

I want some anti RJ t shirts. The rj logo with a circle and a line through it below in big letters "it is getting deep in here".. Anybody making those in 4 x long let me know.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

I just love how they act like it's an impossible task to build an AR15 and it's going to take days or weeks to accomplish the task.
Don't be an internet tough guy...
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Her tooth is fixed FYI...

The sound meter is at least better than the Karaoke machine set up they had before.. Regardless they had the mic in between the two and at about 3 meters and back 2. The dB was not a mil spec reading so the #s were not comparable..

They got what was it 18 dB reduction at the microphone. .. IIRC

I sold my Dad's 60MM mortar to Ira Sellars in Paris TN. .. he is a top notch guy.. I watched him in that episode and he looked embarrassed and "reserved" during the show. Since the show his web site is GONE.. the net sanitized of his business. WTF.. Does going on RJ cause you to have to disappear from all the internet searches and noise from the net?

Ira was one of the best people I have EVER done business with. A lot of thinks happened in the transaction on my end that went wrong I had no control of. His tolerance was beyond the call of duty.

That's the second person on RJ I knew. (I have a TROMIX Saga and dealt with Tony)

The design of the .50 silencer using the muzzle brake was a total joke. If you used the MB to center the barrel in the tube how were the gasses supposed to be deflected back into the body of the silencer for one. Worst monocore design I have seen... Soft AL for a core.

Do you remember the 10/22 SBR on the show that they put a .22 silencer on. It was the size of my Cyclone! then they shot a 2' (not ") group at 25' in their indoor range.. With big smiles on how wonderful it was! OMG I can shoot my P-22 10x better and quieter. :roll:

My bet 20dB reduction MAYBE 30 dB reduction tops. AN Element is 1/2 the size and gets 41dB reduction on a pistol barrel.

Then the rotary SAGA 12 g. "MiniGun" the centrifugal force would cause the heavy shotgun shells to compress the springs in the mags causing FTF. You really need to have the mags facing IN not OUT to work well.

Then there is the pricing. Out of the pall bark. For hand tool quality work I feel consistency is marginal. A SAGA conversion is one thing building a high quality firearm is another. A CNC was a huge improvement.. they should use a drill press not hand drill holes like in .50 cal M2 episode. Where they drill holes in the side plate balanced on a vise :shock:

Then Kris, the jerk, starts throwing the AR he was TRYING to assemble, on the bench in the range when he lost his temper. not once but a few times (then Vince took the blame for the damage to the rifle) It was Kris throwing the gun a few times when he could not get it to feed full auto.

They make Vince look like the bad guy when it was HIS FFL and he was doing all the work. Will is blinded by his daughter and will make bad decisions to make her happy. He should have fired Kris and not Vince.. Vince should have been in charge of the shop. Sent Kris off to gun smith school in Colorado as a wedding present.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

I like the show.

That said, my BS meter pegged on this episode.

The whole premise of the show was they were taking an untested gun / suppressor combo to a client at the range.

After a few shots on the sound meter they hand the gun to the client and have him hit something the size of an apple at 500 yards?

Uhhhh..... OK maybe they sighted it in and zeroed the gun, but then they shouldn't have built the whole episode as an untested gun / can combo.

Then I see the next episode its gonna be Vince versus Will.....like Jr vs Sr on American Chopper. Leftovers.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

JohnInNH wrote:Sent Kris off to gun smith school in Colorado as a wedding present.

I know more than Kris does. And I'm a seminary student....
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
u52
Silent Operator

Post by u52 »

This is good stuff!!
Kris acts like a 5 year old, no offense to any 5 year olds........
I stopped watching after Vince walked off and Kris kept ripping on him, what a true friend he was.

DISCOVERY- Bring back Vince and you might have better ratings. At least he wasn't fake about his emotions and had a frigging clue!

I do LOVE American Guns though. I am jealous as hell of Rich Wyatt......and also jealous of that Colt Defender riding on his daughters hip all day. MMMMM, would I like to be Paige's gun for a day :D :wink:
The Wyatt family has some class, great job!!! I plan on stopping into Gunsmoke next time I fly into Denver.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

u52 wrote:This is good stuff!!
Kris acts like a 5 year old, no offense to any 5 year olds........
I stopped watching after Vince walked off and Kris kept ripping on him, what a true friend he was.

DISCOVERY- Bring back Vince and you might have better ratings. At least he wasn't fake about his emotions and had a frigging clue!

I do LOVE American Guns though. I am jealous as hell of Rich Wyatt......and also jealous of that Colt Defender riding on his daughters hip all day. MMMMM, would I like to be Paige's gun for a day :D :wink:
The Wyatt family has some class, great job!!! I plan on stopping into Gunsmoke next time I fly into Denver.

Are you kidding? Google him.. He has/had a restraining order on him by the Arapaho PD IIRC. I can go on and on. The more your find out about him the more of a scum bag you realize he is. Check the Colorado shooters forum.

Putting his logo on peoples guns w/o telling them is SOP. He over charges by about 200% Talk to his ex wife.. The one he had before the one with the fake tits .. and the daughter and a pocket dog! VOMIT.

"Good Job" in his condescending voice like his kids and wife are 5 years old.

$4000 for a barrel swap, a new stock.. and a jewel trigger? WTF over.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

All the above posts express effectively my astonishment, repulsion,
disbelief, and ire at the way weapon's designers and sellers are
portrayed. BUT, like going to an Octagon Fight in a back alley
across the border there is a fascination at what new destruction
will occur.

Almost as good as hurling invectives at the TV when the most incompetent, biased, and
dishonest US Attorney General testifies and lies.
Some compensation, at least Red Jacket Kris is not in the Obama Regime ... so far.

As that sexy little temptress Scarlett O'Hara said at the end of "Gone With The Wind"

"Tomorrow is another day."

Reminder: 2012 elections will determine if we keep our freedoms. Contribute to DUMP THE CHUMPS
campaigns.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

American guns is just as much bull s--t as RJF.

I wouldn't give that arrogant bastard or his silicone wife a penny of my hard earned money.

I want both of them in a cage match with a tiger. a tiger i just fed redbull.
Keep calm, and suppress on
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

whoevers thinks SOG or American guns is a good show,,,,,,was dropped as baby. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
u52
Silent Operator

Post by u52 »

Emilio wrote:whoevers thinks SOG or American guns is a good show,,,,,,was dropped as baby. :mrgreen:

HAHAHA!!! Good one!!
I am that baby, I think thats why I like those fake boobs so much :mrgreen:

Seriously though, these guys have to be some real posers to get their own TV shows. Just like the guy who blows his boss, they get dirty and cheap so they can get a spot on the big screen. I would still like to be the gun on Paige's side though, LOL. :D