Silenced Spanish Destroyer 9x19

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Silenced Spanish Destroyer 9x19

Post by Garrett »

I had this Spanish Destroyer that I always thought would make a good suppressor host. So I shipped it off to Mike Klos and let him do his thing to it. He was originally going to turn down the breech end of the barrel to shorten the 9mm Bergmann chamber and ream it for a 9x19, then re-set the sights. But we decided a Green Mountain blank would work just as well, with less work. Add a set of tall sights and you're good to go.

I find the magazines don't always like to feed the shorter 9x19 ammo, unless I download to 3 rounds. Flat-nosed bullets especially don't like to feed (no real surprise there). I've ordered a couple of different types of 9mm 1911 mags that I was going to cut a notch for, as they should feed better.

Ammo used was some 147 gr. JHP handloads using N330, Fiocchi 158 gr. JHP, and 147 gr. Federal AE Flat Nose.

(and if I could figure out how to embed a video on this site, that would cool too.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywa7HQ3Nhu4

SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Re: Silenced Spanish Destroyer 9x19

Post by SilentMike »

Very Nice! You just have to love a silenced centerfire pistol caliber bolt action.

"Click------WHAP!"
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

I would give my left nut for one of those rifles.
(And dump my current 9mm host - AR pistol)
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

Awesome!

I shoot my ruger more than any other gun I own now.
gunnyragg

Post by gunnyragg »

We just sold a Destroyer Carbine to a fellow who asked about suppression. I told him it seemed like a candidate. Glad to see my opinion confirmed.
If a man can't think out of the box, they might as well bury him in it.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Interesting, thanks for vid.

I guess it depend on price and reliability to make me put my AR-9mm down for a single shot 9mm. :mrgreen: Neat to have though! :P
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

I've got one 1911 mag modded to fit the gun. I had ordered the wrong one initially. It's got a rib along the front of the mag, aligning the rounds at the back of the mag. However, it does have a small ramp built into the front of the mag body to keep the round from nose-diving, which was the problem I was having with the factory mags. I thought about returning it, but a couple of dry runs with the mag held in by hand pressure were encouraging. So I ended up notching it for the Destroyer's mag catch and then ordering a couple of the other style of 9mm mag, which has a spacer along the rear of the mag body.

As it turns out, this style works better than I'd expected. Too well in fact. RN and JHP bullets seem to feed well. Where the flat-nosed rounds were nose-diving before, now they are hitting the built-in ramp in the mag body and shooting straight up over the chamber and often getting trapped vertically between the barrel & bolt.

I'm thinking next time I shoot this gun, I'll have to compare it to a suppressed bolt-action 22LR. For that matter, I've got a .243 threaded for a can. It's kind of interesting when using Trailboss powder, shooting at subsonic velocities.

Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Here's another video. This time with a Bowers VERS-9S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Hr_6R-MdY
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Another Destroyer post to taunt me and my ability to not find one to integral.

Sigh...... :cry:
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Bendersquint wrote:Another Destroyer post to taunt me and my ability to not find one to integral.

I think the days of the $100 surplus Destroyers are gone. I think I paid just under $300 for mine (before having it worked on). There's one on gunbroker at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =303875921

I had started into my project before Ruger came out with the 77/357. To be honest, if I was to do it again I'd probably go with one of those. You have a few more bullet weight options with .38 Spl. / .357 Mag. And for a muzzle can it's just a matter of threading the barrel - no need to rechamber from 9mm Largo to 9x19.

But if you're doing an integral, that's probably less of a concern.

And anyone can build a suppressed Ruger. The Destroyer is a little more unique. :wink:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Garrett wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Another Destroyer post to taunt me and my ability to not find one to integral.

I think the days of the $100 surplus Destroyers are gone. I think I paid just under $300 for mine (before having it worked on). There's one on gunbroker at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =303875921

I had started into my project before Ruger came out with the 77/357. To be honest, if I was to do it again I'd probably go with one of those. You have a few more bullet weight options with .38 Spl. / .357 Mag. And for a muzzle can it's just a matter of threading the barrel - no need to rechamber from 9mm Largo to 9x19.

But if you're doing an integral, that's probably less of a concern.

And anyone can build a suppressed Ruger. The Destroyer is a little more unique. :wink:
For the buy it now price I can get a Ruger 77/357. I want a Destroyer though, may just have to build one myself if I can't find one for a reasonable price.
windchaser

Post by windchaser »

I had a friend of mine who had a Destroyer and he said that a modified P38 magazine would work. I saw the rifle and the magazine's he had modified but never shot it. Just saying.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

windchaser wrote:I had a friend of mine who had a Destroyer and he said that a modified P38 magazine would work.
I'm using some 9mm 1911 mags. They work very well.