Subsonic .22 lr on a hog?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic .22 lr on a hog?

Post by BLAKE2131 »

im using a custom TM operative thats a 1-9 on a 77/22

also most barrels are more expensive than the gun itself

also after shooting a few of the SSS i have to clean my chamber otherwise the regular 22lrs get stuck when fired
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

I let a friend of mine try it once at my place with Aquila 60gr subsonic through a Ruger 10/22 and I think an XXX can. The wild pig was in a trap. Three shots from 20 meters and he was still standing. I walked up with my 22 pistol and finished the job. I was very upset with my buddy until I skinned the animal and all three shots were dead on, into what should be brain cavity. I have no explanation for the almost immortal pig, but when I hit it with Remington Gold bulk pack, the demise was immediate and the sinuses exploded to indicate some sort of concussive effect which was not apparent with the Aguila.

The Aguila just seemed to punch holes. I've not tried it but the pig trap is currently set. I'll let you know soon enough but without the Aguila 60gr crap.
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

did you have a 1-9 twist bbl
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

He did have a special fast twist barrel just for shooting the heavy 22 bullets. I believe he got it from Aguila who were actually located here in Helotes, TX. That was about ten years ago or more. I don't recall the twist but the bullets seemed to shoot straight enough with no keyholing.

But that is not the point. The bullets went where they were aimed, they just didn't seem to do enough damage to kill the pig. Shot placement looked good but I did not boil the skull to examine the wounds. I also don't recall exit holes but I was not looking for any. For whatever reason, the 60gr 22 bullets just did not seem to do the job. Between the eyes and behind the ear at 20 meters and the pig just shook his head like I had thrown a rock at him. One 22 pistol round at 12 inches, which is in fact subsonic, and the pig is dead.

I just checked and Aguila is still located here in Helotes using the name Centurion. I drove over there a couple of years ago and did not see the building. Interesting.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Stout wrote:I let a friend of mine try it once at my place with Aquila 60gr subsonic through a Ruger 10/22 and I think an XXX can. The wild pig was in a trap. Three shots from 20 meters and he was still standing. I walked up with my 22 pistol and finished the job. I was very upset with my buddy until I skinned the animal and all three shots were dead on, into what should be brain cavity. I have no explanation for the almost immortal pig, but when I hit it with Remington Gold bulk pack, the demise was immediate and the sinuses exploded to indicate some sort of concussive effect which was not apparent with the Aguila.

The Aguila just seemed to punch holes. I've not tried it but the pig trap is currently set. I'll let you know soon enough but without the Aguila 60gr crap.
Pigs in traps turn into immortals as you found out. Their only weakness I've found are .357 mag and .45. Talk about major blood loss in a hurry. Also try to kill them next to the door of the trap so blood is only at the door area. Be sure to move your trap after you spill blood or animals will never come back.

But seriously though pigs in general should not be shot at with subsonic .22lr. I am very thankful the one I shot at died within about 15 seconds of kicking or else I would be very upset with myself.
LP
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

ghostdog662 wrote:
Stout wrote:I let a friend of mine try it once at my place with Aquila 60gr subsonic through a Ruger 10/22 and I think an XXX can. The wild pig was in a trap. Three shots from 20 meters and he was still standing. I walked up with my 22 pistol and finished the job. I was very upset with my buddy until I skinned the animal and all three shots were dead on, into what should be brain cavity. I have no explanation for the almost immortal pig, but when I hit it with Remington Gold bulk pack, the demise was immediate and the sinuses exploded to indicate some sort of concussive effect which was not apparent with the Aguila.

Pigs in traps turn into immortals as you found out. Their only weakness I've found are .357 mag and .45. Talk about major blood loss in a hurry. Also try to kill them next to the door of the trap so blood is only at the door area. Be sure to move your trap after you spill blood or animals will never come back.

But seriously though pigs in general should not be shot at with subsonic .22lr. I am very thankful the one I shot at died within about 15 seconds of kicking or else I would be very upset with myself.
There is such a thing as a "freak survival":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

I haven't moved the pig trap in twelve years and have shot maybe 50 pigs or so in the trap. They seem to like the blood. Or they just don't care.

You must consider that the 22lr standard velocity is subsonic out of a pistol and it kills em just fine. I actually calculate how much money I spend on corn, bullets, and processing per pound of pork. The cost of the 22lr bullet makes me giggle a bit when I do the math.

I did take one with a 45 ACP ball once. The bullet traveled through the skull, down the neck, and wound up lodged just above the right front hoof. Never had that happen with a 9mm.....
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Stout wrote:I haven't moved the pig trap in twelve years and have shot maybe 50 pigs or so in the trap. They seem to like the blood. Or they just don't care.

You must consider that the 22lr standard velocity is subsonic out of a pistol and it kills em just fine. I actually calculate how much money I spend on corn, bullets, and processing per pound of pork. The cost of the 22lr bullet makes me giggle a bit when I do the math.

I did take one with a 45 ACP ball once. The bullet traveled through the skull, down the neck, and wound up lodged just above the right front hoof. Never had that happen with a 9mm.....
Any pics of your trap or style? Mine's an all steel one.
LP
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

Here you go. It's made of 1" square tubing and heavy concrete wire. The back has a hinged door and the front has two spring loaded capture doors held open by a 2x4 between the tops of the doors with a wire going down to back of the trap. It's about 4'x4'x8'. Pig walks in, sees the corn at the back of the trap, says to himself "Wow! I love corn!", bumps wire which pulls board, and the doors slam shut. Then he thinks to himself "I am so f##ked.".

ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Nice trap Stout.

Mine is identical except for the door design.

I have several steel plates that are about 2" wide each on a swinging hinge. When you are ready to set the trap so they cannot escape you just slip a metal bar in a channel in front so the plates cannot swing to the front.

When you are done hunting you just remove the metal bar so the plates can swing both ways.

It looks like this.
Meant to put no bar / slid through

LP
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Have shot them with regular 22's in traps but learned to wait until they were facing the door. Shoot, open door, they kick their way right out. A lot easier than trying to pull 1 or 2 hundred pounds through a small hole...FYI
jb1968

Post by jb1968 »

Just wanted to throw this in as an example of the actual penetration you can get with sub sonics at 50 yard range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn-34hHJNDw
AkGun&ammo
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AkGun&ammo »

My "brother" in Texas, will shoot and leave a small piggy in the trap sometimes. Seems to really load up the trap with more boars. But does smell sometimes to high heck. So I have to believe that a little blood doesn't hurt anything for feral pigs.

His usual bait is corn soaked in beer....

Chris
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

jb1968 wrote:Just wanted to throw this in as an example of the actual penetration you can get with sub sonics at 50 yard range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn-34hHJNDw
Pig hide is much tougher than our mere skin.
LP
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

AkGun&ammo wrote:His usual bait is corn soaked in beer....
Pigs tend to wobble when they get drunk which can make them more difficult to shoot. LOL.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Stout wrote:
AkGun&ammo wrote:His usual bait is corn soaked in beer....
Pigs tend to wobble when they get drunk which can make them more difficult to shoot. LOL.
But what else are you going to do with all of that Lone Star beer?
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights