I should have listened to you guys!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jcorbett1979

I should have listened to you guys!

Post by jcorbett1979 »

Well, I wish I new then, what I know now. I am about to send off for my 4th transfer in less than 2 years. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have taken my time and got an attorney to draw me up a trust. I hate going through the process of individual transfers! I guess I am just committed now! Happy shooting guys!!!

Josh
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Re: I should have listened to you guys!

Post by m1garand30064 »

It is not too late to start.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Some dealers do the trust for free.

I even hear peoples (here) say trusts are a hassle! REALLY? :shock: :roll: all I did was sign it. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

Emilio wrote:I even hear peoples (here) say trusts are a hassle! REALLY? :shock: :roll: all I did was sign it. :D
Youre right! Trusts are the exact opposite. It's NOT going the trust route that's the hassle.
In fact, a good friend of mine is in the process of transferring all of his items from individual to a trust right now.
jcorbett1979 wrote:Well, I wish I new then, what I know now. I am about to send off for my 4th transfer in less than 2 years. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have taken my time and got an attorney to draw me up a trust. I hate going through the process of individual transfers! I guess I am just committed now! Happy shooting guys!!!
If you feel strongly about it I would start doing it now before you buy any new NFA stuff. As much as it sucks to pay the tax twice it's better to do it with four items than to do it later with a bunch more. Depending on your situation, $800 bucks isn't a huge price to pay to get it done.

My two cents.
jcorbett1979

Post by jcorbett1979 »

True! Its not too late! It just hurts paying again! I thought I was only going to get "just one"!!! I never understood the extent of the addiction!!!
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

Myself, like many others here, made our own trusts, and they work just fine. My transfer was approved last week. I'm not paying a lawyer to do it.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I don't understand? Why would someone ever feel compelled to pay again just to have something transferred from themselves as an individual into a personal trust?

All my stuff is individual. What consideration am I not giving?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I've always had a trust, but if I had not done it that way I wouldn't pay to change the NFA items I had over to a trust. What would be wrong with getting a trust and just do any future items on it?
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

First two transfers were in the late '80s. Sheriff was NFA friendly.

Got interested in cans ... new Sheriff ... not NFA friendly. Trust route necessary and makes good sense for succession planning anyway. Chose to do it with a lawyer. Worked for four transfers so far and a fifth pending. Not unhappy I did it as thoroughly as possible.
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

wildfowler wrote:I don't understand? Why would someone ever feel compelled to pay again just to have something transferred from themselves as an individual into a personal trust?

Could be for a number of reasons. Estate planning and multiple people possessing the assets are just a couple. I'm not saying that the trust route is necessary for everyone but for many people it is worth doing.

In my friend's case, he and his father both use the silencers and machine guns so holding the assets in a trust makes sense. Either one of them can possess the assets without the other being present.

Same thing with my situation. Having my wife as a grantor on the trust gives her the ability to possess any of the items without my presence. Simple example... I go out to the ranch on Thursday and realize that I left one of my silencers at home in the safe. My wife is driving out on Friday so I have her grab it before she heads out. I don't have to worry about her possessing an item that could get her in legal trouble. If/when we have children, they can easily be added. I also like the fact that I don't have to get CLEO signoff every time I decide to make an NFA purchase (also don't have to get photographs, fingerprints, etc...).

Again, many of these things may never apply to certain people but for others it does. In the latter case, the trust route makes life much easier.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

For me it will be primarily estate planning for the old transfers. Good that it is done while I am still around. Never hurts that the heir will be able to use without my presence too.

The kinda thing you think about as you get older. Is worth the few bucks to make things simple when I pass.
Joeyp

Post by Joeyp »

Can anyone of you guys upload or share a blank version of the trusts you wrote up? I'm awaiting my 3rd can and kind of wish I went that route too.....
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

Guys,

DO NOT WRITE YOUR OWN TRUST!

This is not advisable.

ATF is hammering people for this if you had not heard

Have an Attorney write and file this for you.
07/02 FFL-SOT
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

thoppe wrote:
wildfowler wrote:I don't understand? Why would someone ever feel compelled to pay again just to have something transferred from themselves as an individual into a personal trust?

Could be for a number of reasons. Estate planning and multiple people possessing the assets are just a couple. I'm not saying that the trust route is necessary for everyone but for many people it is worth doing.

In my friend's case, he and his father both use the silencers and machine guns so holding the assets in a trust makes sense. Either one of them can possess the assets without the other being present.

Same thing with my situation. Having my wife as a grantor on the trust gives her the ability to possess any of the items without my presence. Simple example... I go out to the ranch on Thursday and realize that I left one of my silencers at home in the safe. My wife is driving out on Friday so I have her grab it before she heads out. I don't have to worry about her possessing an item that could get her in legal trouble. If/when we have children, they can easily be added. I also like the fact that I don't have to get CLEO signoff every time I decide to make an NFA purchase (also don't have to get photographs, fingerprints, etc...).

Again, many of these things may never apply to certain people but for others it does. In the latter case, the trust route makes life much easier.
Wait, your wife knows the combo to your safe? WHOA! :shock:

You must have a real keeper there as I was under the impression that was a big no-no. :wink:
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

Machine Gun Matt wrote:Guys,

This is not advisable.

To clarify, there is nothing legally wrong with writing your own trust. Having a knowledgeable lawyer do it is purely a matter of CYA!
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

This is not advisable.

Uh, no, hadn't heard, and I read a lot of NFA boards. Can you actually provide any proof of this? People are getting approved with their own trusts every day.

I'm just going to assume this is the same baseless fearmongering of trusts that's existed for years, where no one can prove there's anyone who has been "hammered" for them. Usually these allegations are followed up by "I can make a trust for you for $600, visit my website!"
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

eric10mm wrote:

This is not advisable.

To clarify, there is nothing legally wrong with writing your own trust. Having a knowledgeable lawyer do it is purely a matter of CYA!
Well Covering Your Ass is the objective? This has been discussed at great length on a few of the boards. Im not going to argue the points, I have received a lot of good Intel. and I'm only trying to save You guys some major grief down the road. Here is just ONE of the links. Good luck..... :D

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2009/05/b ... firea.html
07/02 FFL-SOT
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

Machine Gun Matt wrote:
eric10mm wrote:

This is not advisable.

Guntrustlawyer.com. From almost three years ago.

thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

eric10mm wrote:
thoppe wrote:

Wait, your wife knows the combo to your safe? WHOA! :shock:

You must have a real keeper there as I was under the impression that was a big no-no. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: This was a hypothetical example (as I have yet to forget anything that would require her assistance). She is a keeper though and knows about most of the things that are in there. If she ever did open the safe (which she could really care less about doing), there's a small chance she might discover a few things that were never mentioned and mysteriously appeared :mrgreen:

Good thing all the receipts are hidden :wink:
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

Machine Gun Matt wrote:
eric10mm wrote:

This is not advisable.

Well Covering Your Ass is the objective? This has been discussed at great length on a few of the boards. Im not going to argue the points, I have received a lot of good Intel. and I'm only trying to save You guys some major grief down the road. Here is just ONE of the links. Good luck..... :D

Thanks for the unbiased source.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
heliguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by heliguy »

I did my 3rd this year over the last 2-3 years (.22 can, .45 can, SBR). Would have been nice to do the trust, but in TX it's been a pain free process with the LE's here. My issue is transferring them as part of my will. My brothers live in Illinois...