How Hot Can .223 / 5.56 Suppressors Get?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Munk
Senior Silent Operator

How Hot Can .223 / 5.56 Suppressors Get?

Post by Munk »

I am building a 10.5" SBR and am going to suppress it. One idea I have been tossing around in my head is having a hand guard that partially covers the suppressor. At the same time, I want to keep the weight down, and so have been considering getting a carbon fiber free float. So naturally I thought "what if I used a carbon fiber hand guard to partially cover my suppressor?" I got a quote from a manufacturer of said carbon fiber FF who said it was rated to 475F. So, practically speaking, what sort of temperatures can we expect to see when shooting semi-auto 5.56 through a can on this type of build? For the most part I won't be doing mag dumps, but if I wanted to, would a CF FF hand guard turn to mush or burst into flames?
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Re: How Hot Can .223 / 5.56 Suppressors Get?

Post by PAIN »

Think of a catalytic converter for your car.
They glow at night with a beta mag dump. Shooting slowly, (like target shooting) they won't change color, but the mirage will get so bad you can't see the target with any time of accuracy.

They get hot, but if you allow them to cool between mags, you can manage the heat they put out.
NRA Benefactor Member
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

Do you have idea what temp they can get to in order to change color like that?

I mean, 475F is pretty good for carbon fiber...but I have also heard that a suppressor will increase by about 7 degree for each round fired (not factoring in cool time). If I go out on a 100 degree day, for example, that means I could theoretically shoot 50 rounds in rapid fire before I reached critical temperature. Ideally, I would like to stay a good margin below this, which means maybe 30 rounds. That's not a whole lot... unless this heat-increase starts to level off at a certain temperature (which it must do at some point).

If suppressors can get to 600, 800, or even 1000 degrees with semi auto fire, I will want to stay away from doing this hand guard overlap thing. I don't plan on doing multiple mag dumps mind you, but I'd like my rifle to be able to handle it if I did. I don't want something that is going to overheat after a single 30rd mag dump, you know?

I just don't have anything concrete to go off of at this point, so its all just theoretical.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Munk wrote:Do you have idea what temp they can get to in order to change color like that?

I mean, 475F is pretty good for carbon fiber...but I have also heard that a suppressor will increase by about 7 degree for each round fired (not factoring in cool time). If I go out on a 100 degree day, for example, that means I could theoretically shoot 50 rounds in rapid fire before I reached critical temperature. Ideally, I would like to stay a good margin below this, which means maybe 30 rounds. That's not a whole lot... unless this heat-increase starts to level off at a certain temperature (which it must do at some point).

If suppressors can get to 600, 800, or even 1000 degrees with semi auto fire, I will want to stay away from doing this hand guard overlap thing. I don't plan on doing multiple mag dumps mind you, but I'd like my rifle to be able to handle it if I did. I don't want something that is going to overheat after a single 30rd mag dump, you know?

I just don't have anything concrete to go off of at this point, so its all just theoretical.
Suppressors can easily get hotter than 475 degrees. I have had mine change colors before while shooting and have melted handguards as well.
crazy-mp
Silent Operator

Post by crazy-mp »

Bendersquint wrote:
Suppressors can easily get hotter than 475 degrees. I have had mine change colors before while shooting and have melted handguards as well.
I wonder if anybody at the Silencers are legal shoot will let me try that :D
- - - Show Me Guns - - -
------Lebanon MO------
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

crazy-mp wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
All depends how gast you shoot... but you should have no problem at all getting a rifle can above 475 degrees.

Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

If your worried about heat send it to RJ they do this water cooling thing with barrels I bet they could make you a suppressor with a water cooling system as well. :lol: :lol:

If you fire 30 rounds fast or semi fast your not gonna wanna touch it. If I dump a 30 rd mag on fa you can cook a meal on it.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

Well I guess that answers my question :lol: Ill stay away from doing the overlap thing with a CF FF. Thank you!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

900 F with 2-3 mag dumps. 1600 F if you are having a contest to see how hot you can get it.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

JasonM wrote:
crazy-mp wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
All depends how gast you shoot... but you should have no problem at all getting a rifle can above 475 degrees.

Now that`s BAD ASS right there!!!!
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

silencertalk wrote:900 F with 2-3 mag dumps. 1600 F if you are having a contest to see how hot you can get it.
:lol: Best answer ever.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Yes, if you are trying, you can get them really hot:

Kick Ass Design
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Kick Ass Design
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Kick Ass Design
crazy-mp
Silent Operator

Post by crazy-mp »

All I can say about the night lights
- - - Show Me Guns - - -
------Lebanon MO------
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

That's ghetto!
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

what's ghetto :?
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

What a perfect place to light a cigar from.
LP
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

ghostdog662 wrote:What a perfect place to light a cigar from.

Not really a good idea. There is allot or radiant heat off them when they are hot. I tried this once myself will not be doing it again..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

rogerme wrote:

Not really a good idea. There is allot or radiant heat off them when they are hot. I tried this once myself will not be doing it again..
Noted, but I don't think I would be able to help myself.
LP
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

rogerme wrote:
All that means is that you need a bigger cigar

ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Munk wrote:
rogerme wrote:
All that means is that you need a bigger cigar

Last edited by ghostdog662 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LP
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

Here's a color chart for mild steel. Stainless colors are along the same lines but just a bit higher temp to get the same color. I don't know what inconel or titanium would look like at the same tempuratures. Aluminum just turns white and melts at much lower temps although it seems to take longer to reach the critical temperature due to better heat dissipation. Which means the aluminum should heat up slower and cool down faster.

http://www.smex.net.au/Reference/SteelColours.htm

I's say if you are getting any color to your can at all, it's too much for the CF you mentioned.

Although, that cool dude in Corpus Christi is making CF cans that people really seem to love so... Cough, cough! Kidding..
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

Yeah i've been reading that topic too :shock:

Thanks for the color chart!
abinok

Post by abinok »

I've got a upper on the way from loki that will have a 8" 300 blk barrel, and a 15" cf handgaurd. Someday, when my 762 titanium phantom stamp shows up, it should be pretty cool.
But then again, I'm not a mag dump kinda guy anymore.