Silencer built with hand tools?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

d65

Silencer built with hand tools?

Post by d65 »

Newbie here. Although I am a ffl07 and SOT I am wondering whether I could build a silencer or intergally silenced barrel with hand tools, dremel, and drill press. Is it possible? Also, no welder except for a $30 stick welder which I don't know how to use.

Regards,

d65
Have a Great Day or Not! The Choice is always Yours!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Silencer built with hand tools?

Post by Bendersquint »

d65 wrote:Newbie here. Although I am a ffl07 and SOT I am wondering whether I could build a silencer or intergally silenced barrel with hand tools, dremel, and drill press. Is it possible? Also, no welder except for a $30 stick welder which I don't know how to use.

Regards,

d65
If you are an 07/02 why on earth would you want to build something from hand tools or even ask about that(especially if you are an 07/02)?

Or are you saying that you are a licensed NFA firearms manufacturer and don't have a machine shop?
d65

Post by d65 »

Bendersquint wrote:
d65 wrote:Newbie here. Although I am a ffl07 and SOT I am wondering whether I could build a silencer or intergally silenced barrel with hand tools, dremel, and drill press. Is it possible? Also, no welder except for a $30 stick welder which I don't know how to use.

Regards,

d65
If you are an 07/02 why on earth would you want to build something from hand tools or even ask about that(especially if you are an 07/02)?

Or are you saying that you are a licensed NFA firearms manufacturer and don't have a machine shop?
That would be it. No machine shop. Had to sell it off piece by piece do to financial difficulties. :oops:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

d65 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Regards,

d65

That would be it. No machine shop. Had to sell it off piece by piece do to financial difficulties. :oops:
Yet you maintain your manufacturers licenses without the ability to manufacturer?

Why don't you just buy one since you can't make one?
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

I agree with Bender but to answer your question Yes a supperssor can be built with standard hand tools and in some cases without any tools at all the problems is how well it will perform and last Example would be a plastic coke bottle no tools needed wont be very effective and surely wont last long but will certianly suppress. That said you could build using freeze plugs or other readyly avalible items such as fender washers your biggest problem is going to be threading to attach end caps and barrel attachment you could Pin the end caps Not recomended and you could use Taps and dies to thread the end from attachment also not recomemded. What I'm trying to say here is your only limited to your imagination here nessesity is the mother of all invention you can do most anything with just standard tooling However you will get the job done with propper tooling in less time and safely and your creations will last longer provided you build with with that in mind. Funny thing is before I got into machining I used to turn my drill press on its side and use it like a lathe even funnier is I could get good accurate turnings from it. When I bought my first lathe I found that I could get precse turnings there in lays the difference. If you had Machining equipment in the past you surely know what Im talking about. You also will know that while suppressors dont need precission internals they do however need fairly precision fitment to a barrel and its more importantly its bore. I think you would be better served to purchase one atleast untill you can aquire propper tooling to insure your safety as well as others.

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

For the sake of doing it sure. During war time people have built very good machine guns with scrap metal and gusto. The Israelis used to buy lipstick tubes to make there ammo out of. Many American firearms where handmade ( at least thew prototypes) and people still do. I know of one guy who built his ar from a 80% with all hand tools and fit and finish is top quality.

So can you sure. Can you get good even great results sure. If you simply wish to do it for yourself or to see if you can then more power to ya.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
d65

Post by d65 »

Okay .it has been forever since I have been on here due to your alls quality responses. I now have a grizzly mini mill and HF mini lathe incoming. With these and your expertise on this site is it practical to build a silencer for myself. NOT FOR SALE at t.his stage? Ideally I would like to build an integrally suppressed 10/22 along with a .223 can.

TIA
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

d65 wrote:Okay .it has been forever since I have been on here due to your alls quality responses. I now have a grizzly mini mill and HF mini lathe incoming. With these and your expertise on this site is it practical to build a silencer for myself. NOT FOR SALE at t.his stage? Ideally I would like to build an integrally suppressed 10/22 along with a .223 can.

TIA

Dang!

I was really hoping to see what the Khyber Pass school of 'smithing was going to turn out.

The mini mill - now your just another American F1 hack.

Good luck though
d65

Post by d65 »

.300WinMag wrote:
d65 wrote:Okay .it has been forever since I have been on here due to your alls quality responses. I now have a grizzly mini mill and HF mini lathe incoming. With these and your expertise on this site is it practical to build a silencer for myself. NOT FOR SALE at t.his stage? Ideally I would like to build an integrally suppressed 10/22 along with a .223 can.

TIA

Dang!

I was really hoping to see what the Khyber Pass school of 'smithing was going to turn out.

Good luck though
As a friend of a lot of Afgan vets including some who didn't return home , I'll take it you meant your Khyber Pass comment as a joke. If not , then I guess this board is not for me. :( Look up d65 on several of the gun boards and you will find I am a welcome and contributing member there. I mean no offense and will suffer none on me or those I care about!

Regards
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

d65 wrote:
.300WinMag wrote:

TIA

Dang!

Good luck though
As a friend of a lot of Afgan vets including some who didn't return home , I'll take it you meant your Khyber Pass comment as a joke. If not , then I guess this board is not for me. :( Look up d65 on several of the gun boards and you will find I am a welcome and contributing member there. I mean no offense and will suffer none on me or those I care about!

Regards

The Khyber pass school of smithing was referring to how they make guns by hand with crude tools that vaguely resemble modern firearms.

http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-t ... f-pakistan
07/02 behind enemy lines
d65

Post by d65 »

Can we start this conversation over? Seems to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I am here to learn from others and offer advice where I can.

Regards
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Actually it seems you chose to take offense where none was intended.

Take it however you want - I don't care.
GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GHEN »

d65 wrote:Can we start this conversation over? Seems to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I am here to learn from others and offer advice where I can.

Regards
We do have a silencer smithing section of this forum that might point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

GHEN
d65

Post by d65 »

GHEN wrote:
d65 wrote:Can we start this conversation over? Seems to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I am here to learn from others and offer advice where I can.

Regards
We do have a silencer smithing section of this forum that might point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

GHEN
Thank you :)
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

Khyber pass AK has become the new term for frankenAKs ad well as an AKM with AK74 furniture.

Its used jokingly and doent mean anything insulting frankly it is quite awe inspiring the fact they can build a functioning AK from scrap metal with simple hand tools that actually look like real AKs.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

.300WinMag wrote:
Dang!

Good luck though
No offense? I'd never, ever make fun of another man's tools. Not everyone can afford large machine tools.

I've also seen men with a mini-lathe and mill make objects worthy of a museum.
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

Regards,

d65
It is possible to do so with much less. This one is not integral but for the price its a good deal depending on how you look at it.
Go to wal mart and collect a: hi temp glue gun (the big one), a princles can (any flavor you like) and 5 20 oz cokes from the machine outside. Eat the chips and drink the cokes. Make baffles out of the cokes and glue them in the princles can. Voila! Reference: Princles silencer (youtube). :lol:
d65

Post by d65 »

3 weelin geezer wrote:

Regards,

d65
It is possible to do so with much less. This one is not integral but for the price its a good deal depending on how you look at it.
Go to wal mart and collect a: hi temp glue gun (the big one), a princles can (any flavor you like) and 5 20 oz cokes from the machine outside. Eat the chips and drink the cokes. Make baffles out of the cokes and glue them in the princles can. Voila! Reference: Princles silencer (youtube). :lol:
Hey they were out of coke cans. Will Diet Coke cans make for a slimmer silencer? :lol:
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Quietest suppressor I've ever heard. I call it the tooless taco.

You just need reeeally tall sights.

If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

d65 wrote: Hey they were out of coke cans. Will Diet Coke cans make for a slimmer silencer? :lol:

No, Aluminum is too expensive. You want to use the 20 oz plastic bottles. Remember, he wants to make this as easy to build with hand tools (cheap) as possible.

Besides, I didn't know they started making big coke cans. All the ones I have seen are only 12oz.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

3 weelin geezer wrote: No, Aluminum is too expensive. You want to use the 20 oz plastic bottles. Remember, he wants to make this as easy to build with hand tools (cheap) as possible.
For cheap and easy, ditch the expensive pringles can and just use a pop bottle and some duct tape. :)
3 weelin geezer wrote: Besides, I didn't know they started making big coke cans. All the ones I have seen are only 12oz.
I can't say about Coke. But these come in "Regular" and "Serious Addict" size! :D

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I Hate to jump into the fray, but d65 asked a legitimate ?.
Some have answered helpfully, sadly others have demeaned him, yet others injected humor to lighter the mood.
Yes, there are several flashlight handle, 1 1/2" PVC, Pringles/plastic bottle-type builds on the Net.
1 poster pointed out that the Smithing Forum is the appropriate place for this discussion. In fact, many Threads cover this topic there.
Since you ask about 10/22 and .223 builds, you want 1"OD tube for 10/22, and my choice for centerfire rifle charges is a D-cell MagLight handle. You can buy them direct from a Distributor or the Factory.

I took .300WinMag's "I was really hoping to see what the Khyber Pass school of 'smithing was going to turn out.
The mini mill - now your just another American F1 hack." to mean that Indiginous Peoples can make incredible items from scraps and primative tools.
The VietCong handmade 1911 .45 replicas in Tunnels 30' underground in Candlelight using metal files and picks. They also made SMGs using basic sheetmetal shaping forms and tools.
The CIA published manuals for "Freedom Fighters" to produce Field Expedient Weapons including: handgrenades, non-magnetic land mines, 75mm Recoilless Rifles, 100mm mortars, etc.
Next, my use of slang is admittedly poor. It seems to me that by "hack" he meant either:
1.An expedient, temporary solution, meant to be replaced with a more elegant solution at a later date.
-or- 2.A person, often a journalist, hired to do routine work; an overworked man; a drudge.
-or- 3.One who is professionally successful despite producing mediocre work. (Usually applied to persons in a creative field.)
Any of these 3 could work in context. My guess would be the 1st.

The only problem that I see is that FFL 7/02s are required to state under penalty of perjury that they intend to transact commerce rather than build for personal use. Thankfully, d65 added "is it practical to build a silencer for myself. NOT FOR SALE at t.his stage?" to his post. This means he is making a prototype (with intent to produce commercial unit later.)

Hope to see you on the Smithing Section d65! (Is your name short for aiming for a 65dB unit?)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
d65

Post by d65 »

Thanks for the post. Yes it was for a prototype. Since my first post I have acquired a vintage Atlas 10x22 inch lathe. This will help along with the mill. I am a science teacher in my main employment so am a life long learner! :o I came here hoping to learn from those who have been successful and those who have not. My main online family is WeaponsGuild. Builders Helping Builders. I hope this site is similar!
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

d65 wrote:Thanks for the post. Yes it was for a prototype. Since my first post I have acquired a vintage Atlas 10x22 inch lathe. This will help along with the mill. I am a science teacher in my main employment so am a life long learner! :o I came here hoping to learn from those who have been successful and those who have not. My main online family is WeaponsGuild. Builders Helping Builders. I hope this site is similar!
There are some very nice folks here, and some real asshats, having a thick skin and understanding that you take the bad with the good will make your time here much happier.

The silencersmithing forum should provide you with plenty of reading material, ideas, and food for thought. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
d65

Post by d65 »

Tony M. wrote:
d65 wrote:Thanks for the post. Yes it was for a prototype. Since my first post I have acquired a vintage Atlas 10x22 inch lathe. This will help along with the mill. I am a science teacher in my main employment so am a life long learner! :o I came here hoping to learn from those who have been successful and those who have not. My main online family is WeaponsGuild. Builders Helping Builders. I hope this site is similar!
There are some very nice folks here, and some real asshats, having a thick skin and understanding that you take the bad with the good will make your time here much happier.

The silencersmithing forum should provide you with plenty of reading material, ideas, and food for thought. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Thanks!