Threading problem w/ Spectre and 17

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

Threading problem w/ Spectre and 17

Post by BlakeJ »

I just had my Savage 17 HMR chopped and threaded and I can't get my Spectre to thread on. The can goes on my other two .22 hosts just fine still, and the weird thing is i can take the thread protector cap for the 17 and thread it on the other .22 hosts fine, and vice versa (i can take the .22 caps and thread it on the 17 just fine). it's not making sense. i can get about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on it and it tightens up. i don't want to put to much torque on it, i don't want to strip anything. any suggestions? do i need to chase the threads on the 17? help! i wanna shoot this thing!
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Re: Threading problem w/ Spectre and 17

Post by J Krammes »

Tolerance stacking. The threads on the barrel are probably on the high side of spec, and the threads on the mount may be a bit on the small side. Chasing the barrel may work, but I would have the smith who did the thread job look at it.
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Re: Threading problem w/ Spectre and 17

Post by epicdoom »

agree with JK depending on what major dia the threads were cut from could be the issue use your thread protector from the 17 see it fits your other hosts looser wobly and is you tread protectors off other hosts a tighter fit to your 17 less wobly. All in all if you have the correct measuring equipment that would be better to use but this method may be enough to give you a look in the rite area. who ever did the threading should be willing to spec it for you and give you the figures.

Good Luck
Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi