Barrel shroud and a short barrel. Not an SBR?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Barrel shroud and a short barrel. Not an SBR?

Post by gunningbadger »

Recently came across the tac-sol barrel for the 10/22 that has a cut down barrel with a shroud permanently attached to make up the 16". Anybody do this with any other hosts? I'm thinking either 9mm AR or kel tec sub2k
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barrel shroud and a short barrel. Not an SBR?

Post by doubloon »

I have the SBX, I like it.

No it is not a SBR, a permanent barrel extension defines the length of the barrel even if the base barrel is 1" long and the extension is 15". If the extension is not permanently attached it will be a SBR or SBS if the base barrel is less than the required minimum length.

I had one of these worked up by a local gunsmith, he took way too long to do it, didn't really completely understand what I was asking for, did it wrong, bullets were basically exploding inside the adapter he built ... the adapter that was not required, some of the exploding bullets put shrapnel in the back of my hand that was placed on the fore grip BEHIND the extension ... he finally got it more or less running right after more than a year of f#@%ing around with it but I still have trouble trusting it.

I still like the idea so maybe I'll get another one done some day ... by a different smith.

click for BIGGER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

gunningbadger wrote:Recently came across the tac-sol barrel for the 10/22 that has a cut down barrel with a shroud permanently attached to make up the 16". Anybody do this with any other hosts? I'm thinking either 9mm AR or kel tec sub2k
Been done on an AR15/9mm. There was a thread over on arfcom, but I can't find it. It was within the past year. I believe the work was done by ADCO.
kscoggins

Post by kscoggins »

Is this still a legal way of not having an SBR?

It's not the $200, it's the inconvenience of not taking from State to State.

I live 20 minutes from Alabama, and have property to hunt, friends to shoot with etc.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

kscoggins wrote:Is this still a legal way of not having an SBR?

It's not the $200, it's the inconvenience of not taking from State to State.

I live 20 minutes from Alabama, and have property to hunt, friends to shoot with etc.
So long as the shroud is permanently affixed per ATF specs and it is over the 16" length when finished then it is legal.

You can still take it across lines(as an SBR) just file your 5320.20 once a year and you are covered.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Just out of curiosity sake... Has anyone ever seen that tube must be enclosed? What if it was only 1/2 a tube? What if it was a bayonet?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

este wrote:Just out of curiosity sake... Has anyone ever seen that tube must be enclosed? What if it was only 1/2 a tube? What if it was a bayonet?
Doesn't matter what the shape of the extension is, just so long as it is permanent to the barrel and measures over 16".

A 6" bayonet on a 10" barrel is legal to make a 16" barrel
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I've heard people say the tube has to be vented/slotted but not enclosed. I doubt fully enclosed would be an issue unless the muzzle of the extension was threaded and somebody wanted to make a stink over it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

doubloon wrote:I've heard people say the tube has to be vented/slotted but not enclosed. I doubt fully enclosed would be an issue unless the muzzle of the extension was threaded and somebody wanted to make a stink over it.
It can only be a tube, vented or not doesn't matter. No cap on the tube as that could reduce the report of the gun.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Bendersquint wrote: Doesn't matter what the shape of the extension is, just so long as it is permanent to the barrel and measures over 16".
Bendersquint wrote: It can only be a tube, vented or not doesn't matter. No cap on the tube as that could reduce the report of the gun.
??

These two posts seem to contradict each other.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Garrett wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: Doesn't matter what the shape of the extension is, just so long as it is permanent to the barrel and measures over 16".
Bendersquint wrote: It can only be a tube, vented or not doesn't matter. No cap on the tube as that could reduce the report of the gun.
??

It doesn't contradict if you read the comment as a response to the quoted post.
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

Garrett wrote:
??

I see what your confusion is: When he said, "It can only be a tube" he didn't mean it HAS to be a tube, he meant you can't design the tube in a way that would reduce the report, because that would be an unregistered silencer.
0331: "Accuracy by volume."
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I like the permanent bayonet idea.

I wander if welding a piece of 7" steel to the chamber end of a 9" barrel, so the extension runs backwards toward the stock would technically be kosher, kinda like a mid chamber barrel? :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

strobro32 wrote:I like the permanent bayonet idea.

I wander if welding a piece of 7" steel to the chamber end of a 9" barrel, so the extension runs backwards toward the stock would technically be kosher, kinda like a mid chamber barrel? :)
Measuring starts from the bolt face towards the muzzle.
bryceban

Post by bryceban »

I've always wanted to find someone who could make a shroud for my Savage MKII .22LR FV-SR. Cut the bbl back and rethread then weld on a bbl shroud so it would make the 16" minimum and leave me about 1" of my Sparrow suppressor sticking out. Seems like there would be a good amount of demand if anyone would specialize in it. I know I only run subs in this gun anyways and by the time I SBR it and pay a smith to chop and re-thread I could just have this done, not to mention I could still sell the gun later down the road just like a regular rifle i.e not own it for life...

Anyone know of a willing and competent machinest/smith?
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

M&P 15-22
http://youtu.be/UKpfdf3bcRU

My colt AR-15 9mm