Time from Manufacturer to Dealer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Time from Manufacturer to Dealer

Post by OJB4 »

I had a dealer order two .22 silencers on March 8, 2012 (paid for them). He hasn't received either of them from the manufacturer yet. Is this wait time normal for a dealer to get a can in? I know this isn't an impatient mans game, but 6 weeks seems kind of long for a dealer to get a can in.

This is my first purchase and I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if maybe the dealer I went to isn't the fastest in the area.

Any input, advice, or dealer recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

I don't mind traveling a bit if I'm able to speed the process up in the "manufacturer to dealer" leg of the painfully long journey. Especially since I plan to start the process on a few more silencers in the next two weeks or so. I need at least one for every caliber I own (which is all but a .50 BMG)....but I have a feeling that that's gonna be in the safe in the near future too!!!

Thanks from South Louisiana!
I've gotta stop this habit.
patwa

Re: Time from Manufacturer to Dealer

Post by patwa »

A friend and I got ours from a Lafayette dealer as well, maybe the same one. Our wait was VERY long. I had told the dealer I wanted a specific can, and they had to order it. I had actually forgotten about it, and was thinking about getting another can when the paper work showed up in the mail one day. Now that I think about it, I did not have to pay for it till I got the paperwork, so you may not have to wait as long since they already took your money.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

OJB4 wrote:I had a dealer order two .22 silencers on March 8, 2012 (paid for them). He hasn't received either of them from the manufacturer yet. Is this wait time normal for a dealer to get a can in? I know this isn't an impatient mans game, but 6 weeks seems kind of long for a dealer to get a can in.

This is my first purchase and I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if maybe the dealer I went to isn't the fastest in the area.

Any input, advice, or dealer recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

I don't mind traveling a bit if I'm able to speed the process up in the "manufacturer to dealer" leg of the painfully long journey. Especially since I plan to start the process on a few more silencers in the next two weeks or so. I need at least one for every caliber I own (which is all but a .50 BMG)....but I have a feeling that that's gonna be in the safe in the near future too!!!

Thanks from South Louisiana!
You are right its not an impatient mans game, take a step back and look at the timeline. From the time you paid the dealer the dealer has to get in touch with the manufacturer/distributor and place the order(this could take a couple days with trade shows, shoots, ATF inspections, backlog etc..), then the manufacturer has to submit the forms to the ATF, this process from when you paid to forms going in to the ATF takes around 1-3 weeks from my experience for larger manufacturers(some only submit Form3's on a certain day of the week and some mail them in batches) and a couple days for us smaller manufacturers. Don't forget to count holidays etc...

What you should be asking your dealer is to find out from the manufacturer when the Form3 was submitted THEN look at the calendar and take a random guess at the dates.

A form3 from the manufacturer to your dealer is on the manufacturer, the dealer is just waiting for it. Depending on the manufacturer will determine the time it will take. Some manufacturers will Form3 a can that exists only as a registered tube only to take 5 months to complete it once the Form3 is approved.

You don't have a fast or a slow dealer, at this point he is waiting and thats it, the ball is in the manufacturers court.

If the can was completed sitting at the manufacturer and once the Form3 is submitted it can take between 4 and 8 weeks to get the Form3 approved and mailed back to the manufacturer. Depending on the size of the manufacturer will determine how long it takes them to get that processed and into the mail to your dealer. Now you have to wait on the post office or UPS/FEDEX for delivery. Then the dealer has to draw up paperwork, schedule a meet with you and then its in your court.

PM the name of the manufacturer and I will let you know if they are an offender when it comes to selling cans without them being ready to ship.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

patwa wrote:A friend and I got ours from a Lafayette dealer as well, maybe the same one. Our wait was VERY long. I had told the dealer I wanted a specific can, and they had to order it. I had actually forgotten about it, and was thinking about getting another can when the paper work showed up in the mail one day. Now that I think about it, I did not have to pay for it till I got the paperwork, so you may not have to wait as long since they already took your money.
Why would the wait be any shorter if they took his money already? Just means you are out the cash up front... unless I am missing something or the SOT has it on hand.
patwa

Post by patwa »

Bendersquint wrote:
patwa wrote:A friend and I got ours from a Lafayette dealer as well, maybe the same one. Our wait was VERY long. I had told the dealer I wanted a specific can, and they had to order it. I had actually forgotten about it, and was thinking about getting another can when the paper work showed up in the mail one day. Now that I think about it, I did not have to pay for it till I got the paperwork, so you may not have to wait as long since they already took your money.
Why would the wait be any shorter if they took his money already? Just means you are out the cash up front... unless I am missing something or the SOT has it on hand.
I did not know how things worked. After reading your first post, I have a better understanding. I was letting OP know of my experience in Lafayette, and making a w.a.g. about paying up front.
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

I'm in Lafayette as well. The quickest and easiest way is to find a dealer that has the can you are looking for in stock. Derek Howard in Walker LA is a good dude and he usually has some stuff in stock. That's who I have used on my last 3 transfers/purchases. His company is called Big Boy Armament.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

lafsnguy wrote:I'm in Lafayette as well. The quickest and easiest way is to find a dealer that has the can you are looking for in stock. Derek Howard in Walker LA is a good dude and he usually has some stuff in stock. That's who I have used on my last 3 transfers/purchases. His company is called Big Boy Armament.

Thanks for the info. I've only found 2 dealers close enough for me to use. 3 with your guy. I'll look him up and see what he's got in stock.
I've gotta stop this habit.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

OJB4 wrote:
lafsnguy wrote:I'm in Lafayette as well. The quickest and easiest way is to find a dealer that has the can you are looking for in stock. Derek Howard in Walker LA is a good dude and he usually has some stuff in stock. That's who I have used on my last 3 transfers/purchases. His company is called Big Boy Armament.

Thanks for the info. I've only found 2 dealers close enough for me to use. 3 with your guy. I'll look him up and see what he's got in stock.
Derek is a good guy, I have three cans pending with him right now. I also use Landry guns with morganza and hes great as well. I dont know who you are using but just remember you havent waited long at all for a can thats not in stock. 9 times out of 10 you have to wait for it to be made and ive heard of form 3 taking 8 weeks recently. Plus the stuff bender mentioned. That being said I know Derek has some silencerco sparrows in stock and I beleive some Tirants and Ospreys. He also had some cyclones and a sdn6 in stock last I checked a month or so ago.
Captains1911
Silent Operator

Post by Captains1911 »

I've been waiting on my dealer to get my YHM Phantom 7.62 Ti since February 10, and he still has no real idea of when he might receive it. This is after he told me it should take about a month, and I paid full price for it up front. I also paid full price for a Sparrow over 3 weeks ago, also of which he does not have in hand. However, his prices are the best I have found. Inpatients and NFA gear do not mix, just sit back and relax.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Ordered a can that was made and ready to ship. Up front it was 4 to 6 weeks. Has been 8 and he is still waiting on paperwork so it can be sent to dealer. Then I will have to wait 10 to 11 months to get my paperwork back. I am getting too old to wait on these things. But it does give you something to look forward to.