.22LR sub sonic ammo questions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

fastline
Silent Operator

.22LR sub sonic ammo questions

Post by fastline »

I have been using the Remington subs for years. I usually don't use them past 30yds but was recently doing some group testing and not very impressed. I shot 4 at 65yds and two are touching each other, and two are near touching but nearly 1" low and left. Obviously there are many other considerations here but I wanted to ask from experienced long range .22 shooters, what are the options for quality subsonic ammo?
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Re: .22LR sub sonic ammo questions

Post by glocker17 »

In my experience you can only get better, no matter which you pick. CCI subs are popular, I shoot lots of Eley and RWS and use Winchester Subs for hunting.
fastline
Silent Operator

Post by fastline »

IE, Remington subs are about as junk as they get?

I have a box of Eley but they are VERY over priced and gummy and foul my gun quickly. Seem to be dipped in parafin.
kimbershot
Silent Operator

Post by kimbershot »

i have shot subs and std. cci--they were both accurate and it i could tell no difference in sound (stds. were cheaper).
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Wolf match expensive but ive never had a gun that wouldnt group well with them.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

CCI Standards and Aguila Match ammo grouped about the same for me (which was very good for me), both are right around the same price as well, and quiet...dead quiet out of the Savage MkII FVSR w/ Sparrow and dead accurate at 50yds.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

CCI standard is THE best for the money. I also use wolf match & SMK but I get at $12 Brick at the time and down to one case. :cry:

I no like or trust any Remington 22 ammo to date.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I like CCI subsonics the best.
But our local Scheels had 500rd bricks of Remington subs on sale for $25.
Could not pass up buying a few for the kids to shoot off.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

I pick up the CCI SV at the local Dick's, $25/brick. Stays subsonic in the 16" barrel on my rifle. I really like the SK Jagd Standard Plus (same ammo as the Wolf, both made by Lapua) as it is extremely clean and smells good, but it's twice the price of the CCI.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

CCI SV's is all you need for a 16 inch barrel or less. They'll stay subsonic and are impressively accurate.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Flipz wrote:CCI SV's is all you need for a 16 inch barrel or less. They'll stay subsonic and are impressively accurate.
+1, haven't needed anything else.
Rrdstarr

Post by Rrdstarr »

Any one try any of the Eley Subsonic Hollowpoints? I use them in The UK.
No longer residing in the US of A.
Retired US Army Special Forces
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

CCI Subs all the way.
I had a problem with the Rem subs not working in my P-22 for the longest time, but the CCIs never had a problem.
What the problem was is that the P-22 was too dirty for the Remingtons. After givng the P-22 a thourough cleaning they worked fine, but that alone put me off to Remington.

What pisses me off is that places that sell the whole line of CCI 22 ammo never has the subsonics, but they will have the Remington subs., this includes the local Cabela's.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

Rrdstarr wrote:Any one try any of the Eley Subsonic Hollowpoints? I use them in The UK.
That's what I've been shooting in my back yard lately (un-silenced, still waiting). No real complaints, although I still haven't dragged out the long tape yet to set up targets beyond 30yd. I think I read they're made by Remington, so I was a bit hesitant (I've had tons of problems with Remington ammo in the past few years), but they were on deep discount so I bought 500 just to see.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
Rrdstarr

Post by Rrdstarr »

The two lots of 5,000 that I have are all the Eley made, before Remington bought them out. I also use RWS when I can find it. Hence to say it is expensive ammo for the casual plinker!

I have used Eley 10X in the past in my 1913 Anchutz rifle. Best ammo I have used till Eley Benchrest came along!
No longer residing in the US of A.
Retired US Army Special Forces
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

I've never had an issue with Remington Subsonic in my 10/22 rifle. They have always grouped very well through the Clerck fluted barrel and Spectre. The Uzi SMG and the pistols all get Federal Automatch because it's still subsonic through them. The old Mosquito was finicky but seemed to like them the best. And the price was right.
Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shamrock-MP »

Remington Subsonic are HORRIBLE!
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Ok, first off - each 22 rimfire has it's own preferences, you have to buy a box of everything you can find sub-sonic and shoot for groups to know what your gun does best with. Having said that, I have some Remington subsonic's and they chronographed all over the place (bang, pop, bang, blam, pop, bang - you get the idea).

My guns have different preferences
My Romanian 1969 training rifle loves cheap Russian "Junior" which my 10/22 hates.
My Ruger 10/22 prefer's Aguila SE HP
My Ruger Mk 2 prefer's CCI std velocity
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shamrock-MP »

Inconsistency is why it is horrible. The label should read "contains some subsonic rounds".
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Same experience with all the ammunitions mentioned above, including Winchester.

Always having bought ammunition by the 'flat bed delivery' method ( :) ) knowing
since the Teddy Kennedys of the 1960's promised to eventually starve ammunition supplies
I still have bricks of 1960s Remington. Surprisingly for warm up they, for the most part,
still fire out the 1965 M41 but require taking a tooth brush and Gun Cleaner to un-muck
things.

Having retired the original M41 barrel to the display case I shot only through my Ray Brandes
Bully Barrel with measurable tightening of my groups, aided by a 1 MOA red dot sight.

When shooting at range against better shooters, most especially my son, I stick to the
most consistent CCI SV. No 'Remington-Surprise!' duds. Consistent. Cleaner.

This reply allows me again to shamelessly express boundless admiration, gratitude, and best wishes
to Ray Brandes for his Bully Barrel.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

I forgot to mention that I shoot the older ammunition
out of my Reising M65 training rifle, with a 4X scope and bi-pod on it.
It allows me to relive my youth shooting .303 Enfield Sniper and Garand ...
but with the blessed elimination of the shoulder screaming 'I am going
to make you sorry when you try to move your arm tomorrow, Dummy!'! :)
nutpn

Post by nutpn »

I like Lapua pistol king and SK pistol match ammo at around 985 fps its quiet, freakin awesome. cost a lil bit, but my kids enjoy shooting it, my store finally ran out of it last week, well the Lapua, but they still had the SK pistol match which is built by Lapua and probably the same item, anyway grab you a box and try it.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

.22 LR Aguila Sniper SubSonic 60 Grain ( ~950 fps ) runs beautifully through a Bully Barrel.
Then, of course, the barrel has a 1:8 twist that eats them up.

Has any one used the Aguila in longer twist barrels?
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

I had two boxes of Remington and it was just painful through one of my 22's. Finally had to finish those off in the MKIII which eats ANYTHING and still I had one dud per box of 100.

CCI SVs are hands down the best 22s I've ever tried and this was before I had my first suppressor. I use to have a nice 22 target pistol and SV would easily match Eley Match and CCI's own Green Tag for 1/3 the price accuracy wise.

Add to it that SV is subsonic out of everything, cycles any 22 action I've tried it with, has hardly any "recoil", is clean and consistent and really you don't have to shop around. Unless you're whacking furry little creatures CCI's SV is the perfect 22 ammo.

Of course I backordered a healthy supply of them before posting this ;)