Osprey .45 or Ti-Rant .45?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Osprey .45 or Ti-Rant .45?

Post by mbogo »

I've got Form 4s for two cans in process and as long as they're going to take, figure I might as well get started on my next purchase.

I want something that I can use on my .45, .40, and 9mm handguns; I know that dedicated cans are the way to go, but for now I'd like something that I can move from gun to gun.

For those of you who have shot or owned both, what do you see as each suppressor's strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks,
mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Re: Osprey .45 or Ti-Rant .45?

Post by strobro32 »

The Osprey doesn't roll off the table. :)

Their CS is excellent too.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

I know people will argue all day about whether or not you need to clean a pistol can but I guess it's just the OCD side of me that says I do. I picked up the Ti-Rant 9 over the Osprey 9 for this reason and just recently did the same thing with the Ti-Rant 45 over the Osprey. I have no complaints about either of the choices. Except maybe no three lug mount for the Ti-Rant (not released as of yet).
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Both are awesome. The two best 45 pistol cans by far.

I personally prefer the Ti-RANT simply because it is user serviceable.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

+1 on TiRant 45, unless you care about length the T45 on my M&P 9mm using subs is the quietest combo I own (better than prodigy/p22). I know people talk about not needing to clean, but after only a few hundred rounds, I have quite a bit of powder caked on my baffles. I can imagine what it would look like after 1k or so...
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

I love my tirant. It can be taken apart easily and its deceivingly light. Osprey just dont look like silencers to me. I like that silencer look. Oh, also, my tirant is freaky quiet... I havnt heard an osprey tho, so i cant give a comparison on sound.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Do the reasonable thing and buy both. :mrgreen:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
elcapitan1
Silent Operator

Post by elcapitan1 »

At least shoot them both before you make up your mind. I was set on the tyrant ,even had the form 4 filled out, but I was able to shoot them both and decided to go with the Osprey instead.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Fireman1291 wrote:Do the reasonable thing and buy both. :mrgreen:

good idea! That's what I plan on doing if I can get past how ugly the Osprey is. I know some like/love it, but I can't convince myself to even think it looks OK. Just my opinion. If I can make myself like it then I'll be ordering it.
I've gotta stop this habit.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

I am leaning toward the Osprey because it does not require higher sights.

Noise reduction seems to be a bit better with the Osprey, and it can be 'dipped'.

mbogo
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I go take down and cleaning.

Waiting for SWR to make one like the Octane-9. :mrgreen: (even 22lr was easy to clean in it! :shock: )
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

Buy both.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

mbogo wrote:I am leaning toward the Osprey because it does not require higher sights.

Noise reduction seems to be a bit better with the Osprey, and it can be 'dipped'.

mbogo
I'm not sure what you mean, because you are wrong on all of these.

1. Osprey needs tall sights on most hosts - Glocks, M&P, etc

2. Sound is the same objectively, but the metered tests I've seen the Ti-RANT comes out ahead slightly. ex - http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... -M-amp-P-9

3. Neither the Ti-RANT or the Osprey can be dipped.
Kick Ass Design
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

JasonM wrote:
mbogo wrote:I am leaning toward the Osprey because it does not require higher sights.

mbogo
I'm not sure what you mean, because you are wrong on all of these.

1. Osprey needs tall sights on most hosts - Glocks, M&P, etc

2. Sound is the same objectively, but the metered tests I've seen the Ti-RANT comes out ahead slightly. ex - http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... -M-amp-P-9

3. Neither the Ti-RANT or the Osprey can be dipped.
Thank you, Jason, but my research had different results.

1. From the SilerncerCo web site :
The Osprey is an eccentric silencer, which means that the bore does not run down the middle of the tube. Because of this eccentric design, most of the baffles and internal volume is beneath the centerline of the bore and out of the way of the gun’s sights, thus leaving the shooter the ability to use factory sights with little or no sight or target obstruction.
2. The results you linked to are for 9mm units. According to http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... amp-K-HK45, the Osprey .45 comes out ahead in noise reduction.

3. From the SilencerCo manual for the Osprey:
Maintenance and Cleaning
Because the Osprey has such a substantial amount of internal volume, there is no need to regularly clean the baffles. When you do
want to clean the baffles, soak the silencer in a hydrocarbon-based solvent such as WD-40 and certain mineral spirits and/or lacquer
thinners. Then, remove the Osprey and blow out the internals with pressurized air, shake all the liquid out, and let dry.
mbogo
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

mbogo wrote:...mbogo
Let me first be clear, these are easily the 2 best 45 pistol cans you can get, you can't go wrong with either.

1. the key in the text you quoted is "Little or no obstruction".
Standard sights on Glock, M&P, HK, most factory 1911's are still obstructed. It's not the end of the world, but it is the case.

2. Oops, you're right about the 9 and 45, sorry.
This is the 45, it shows the horserace between these cans- http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... amp-K-HK45

3. Some clarification here. There is a "Dip" that actually does clean/dissolve/remove lead and carbon buildup. You can't use this with aluminum. That's what I thought you mean when you say you can dip the can.

Soaking in WD40, Laquer thinner, Kroil, anything aluminum-safe does nothing to remove carbon and lead buildup- ask Bendersquint on here.
Kick Ass Design
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Additionally, on the cleaning-
will it take a long long long time to ever fill up an Osprey? of course. Is it even posssible? who knows.
It will be especially bad if you shoot .22 or open base, or even lead bullets. Will Silencerco take care of you if you have problems? definitely!

That bit you quoted from the manual is exactly what every sealed-can manufacturer has in their manual. Truth is that any solvent that will actually dissolve deposits will also dissolve the baffles and tube. Again, is it important to you? That's a decision only you can make.
Kick Ass Design
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

They don't clear standard sights on most guns and also it depend on ammo which one sounds the best to the ear.

There was good vid comparing the two side by side (same hosts) with different ammo then they voted, it was mixed voting depending on ammo.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Emilio wrote: ......
Waiting for SWR to make one like the Octane-9. :mrgreen: (even 22lr was easy to clean in it! :shock: )
I had the same idea...but I couldn't wait. Check cashed today on the Ti-Rant 45.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

.45 Osprey sounds very good on a G17

That said I intend to get an Octane HD so I can use it on an MP5 clone

Good luck
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

Here is my pistol with standard novaks

You could mount new sights like the Springfield, but it's really not needed.

NRA Benefactor Member
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

Glock is sort of worst case for sight Obscuration with an Osprey. while it wont clear the sights of every pistol, typically (such as with the glock) the fron sight will largely come flush with the top of the can. The osprey then looks sort of like the rib on a shotgun in the sight picture
More importantly the Osprey will largely not obscure the target..Eliminating the need to "Look through" the silencer as people so often say. With the focus on the front sight and a six o'clock hold, the sights often remain totally usable and the target is the blurry shape over the sight that it is supposed to be.
The Osprey certainly has less Combined sight and Target Obscuration than any other centerfire handgun can out there. People often neglect the target obscuration aspect, I feel it is far more important than the sight obscuration.

You wont go wrong with either can. They are both the best there is.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Thanks, all.

Being able to use the sights is important to me; I did not want to have to get 'suppressor sights' or paint a white stripe down the length of the can like John Clark in "Without Remorse". :wink:

mbogo
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JasonM wrote: Soaking in WD40, Laquer thinner, Kroil, anything aluminum-safe does nothing to remove carbon and lead buildup- ask Bendersquint on here.
You are absolutely correct JASON, if anything cleaning/soaking encourages more buildup.

More often than not a can that has been cleaned/soaked has more buildup than the untouched cans. I believe it is because the customer doesn't get 75%+ of the junk OUT OF THE CAN, it builds up in corners and is soft, when it is fired it compacts and becomes harder, when it dries its ridiculously hard.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Bendersquint wrote:
JasonM wrote: Soaking in WD40, Laquer thinner, Kroil, anything aluminum-safe does nothing to remove carbon and lead buildup- ask Bendersquint on here.
You are absolutely correct JASON, if anything cleaning/soaking encourages more buildup.

More often than not a can that has been cleaned/soaked has more buildup than the untouched cans. I believe it is because the customer doesn't get 75%+ of the junk OUT OF THE CAN, it builds up in corners and is soft, when it is fired it compacts and becomes harder, when it dries its ridiculously hard.

I was going to use SLIP 2000 Carbon Killer as the dipping solution(after I confirm with Silencerco or AAC that it will not attack the can or its components). According to the MSDS, it has the following ingredients:
CARBON KILLER
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

=============================================================================
Ingredients/Identity Information
Proprietary: NO
Ingredient: CYCLOHEXENE, 1-METHYL-4-(1-METHYLTHENYL)-, (D-LIMONENE)
Ingredient Sequence Number: 01
Percent: 15-20
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: GW6360000
CAS Number: 5989-27-5
OSHA PEL: NOT ESTABLISHED
ACGIH TLV: NOT ESTABLISHED
Other Recommended Limit: None Specified
-------------------------------------
Ingredient: WATER
Ingredient Sequence Number: 02
Percent: 35-40
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: ZC0110000
CAS Number: 7732-18-5
Ingredient: MONOETHANOLAMINE
Ingredient Sequence Number: 03
Percent: 5-10
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: KJ5775000
CAS Number: 141-43-5
------------------------------------------

IIRC from other threads, suggestions were to soak the can, drain as much of the solution out of the can, then use compressed air to clear the remainder out.

How would I clean the can so that at least 90% of the junk is removed (I won't be shooting lead or exposed base bullets)?

mbogo
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

mbogo wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

I was going to use SLIP 2000 Carbon Killer as the dipping solution(after I confirm with Silencerco or AAC that it will not attack the can or its components). According to the MSDS, it has the following ingredients:
CARBON KILLER
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

Ingredients/Identity Information
Ingredient: CYCLOHEXENE, 1-METHYL-4-(1-METHYLTHENYL)-, (D-LIMONENE)
Ingredient Sequence Number: 01
Percent: 15-20
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: GW6360000
CAS Number: 5989-27-5
Ingredient: WATER
Ingredient Sequence Number: 02
Percent: 35-40
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: ZC0110000
CAS Number: 7732-18-5
Ingredient: MONOETHANOLAMINE
Ingredient Sequence Number: 03
Percent: 5-10
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: KJ5775000
CAS Number: 141-43-5
------------------------------------------

IIRC from other threads, suggestions were to soak the can, drain as much of the solution out of the can, then use compressed air to clear the remainder out.

How would I clean the can so that at least 90% of the junk is removed (I won't be shooting lead or exposed base bullets)?

mbogo
SLIPP 2000 will not harm aluminum, I have used it in the past on raw aluminum with no harm to it.

The suggestions from other threads are for cans that are not serviceable. My comments are for those that are not serviceable that we convert to serviceable. Its always scary to find that someone had been soaking it before sending it in, just means its going to be more intensive a conversion.

How do you clean a can so you get at least 90% of the junk out? Have it jailbroken. The only solution out there.

The problem is that most of the soaking agents WILL soften the junk inside, however unless you are able to SCRAPE it with a tool its nothing but a shy softer now and when you shoot it it will become even harder than it was before. Compressed air will do nothing, if you do see junk come out its just on the surface.

Think of it like a firearm, you don't just wet the bore of your barrel, you scrub the bore with a brush thats how you remove the carbon, the liquid just softens it, how is a silencer any different? You need to be able to scrub it.

The Osprey is not immune to this buildup it is rare to see it cause a problem because of the immense volume inside.