What about putting Robar NP3+ inside a can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

KevinCa316

What about putting Robar NP3+ inside a can?

Post by KevinCa316 »

My understanding is with that finish your firearm will simply wipe clean and it no longer requires lube because it's so slick. The easy clean up of the can interests me, but what interests me more is given the amount of natural lubrication with the finish, would it essentially be a constantly wet can? Has anyone ever tried this? Has any R&D ever been conducted?
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Re: What about putting Robar NP3+ inside a can?

Post by wolf »

Wet means wet 8)

like wet =something is liquid

that something can then evaporate

evaporation demand huge amounts of heat/energy . thats the trick in a wet can

i can not say if or not the finish might help cleaning

Teflon is slick as hell , but i can still make some food stick to the pan if a do my worst :lol: especially if the pan is hot 8)
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I thought about having a suppressor coated with nickel boron....just for cleanup and Increasing the durability. I'm still not sure that it would be worth it.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

dtom29 wrote:I thought about having a suppressor coated with nickel boron....just for cleanup and Increasing the durability. I'm still not sure that it would be worth it.
Think of this too, love NB on AR parts, just wish it was black. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

My understanding is with that finish your firearm will simply wipe clean and it no longer requires lube because it's so slick
Not entirely true. I have several firearms coated by ROBAR using their NP3 and while a few of them clean up quickly one (a 500 S&W Magnum whose cylinder was coated) won't clean for s--t. Cylinder face and sides require as much elbow grease as an uncoated cylinder.

That identified, a recent post along these lines (coating silencer internals with NP3) poster lawbob stated that ROBAR will not coat suppressors (internally or externally).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83993&p=762313&hilit=robar#p762313
KevinCa316

Post by KevinCa316 »

ATCDoktor wrote:
My understanding is with that finish your firearm will simply wipe clean and it no longer requires lube because it's so slick
Not entirely true. I have several firearms coated by ROBAR using their NP3 and while a few of them clean up quickly one (a 500 S&W Magnum whose cylinder was coated) won't clean for s--t. Cylinder face and sides require as much elbow grease as an uncoated cylinder.

That identified, a recent post along these lines (coating silencer internals with NP3) poster lawbob stated that ROBAR will not coat suppressors (internally or externally).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83993&p=762313&hilit=robar#p762313

Was it NP3 or NP3 Plus? There's quite a difference
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Was it NP3 or NP3 Plus? There's quite a difference
My guns are coated with NP3 (not their NP3 plus).

Is the difference in NP3 and NP3 plus that noticeable in your guns?

I'm assuming you have guns coated in both as you seem to be extremely familiar with the differences between the two finishes and sound like you have practical experience.

CZ 75 coated in 2003

Smith & wesson Model 29-3 coated in 2003

Smith & Wesson Model 500 Coated in 2008

Reference coating a suppressor with any of ROBARS products, I just spoke to Shannon at ROBAR and she said she couldnt see any reason why they couldn't coat one.

If you have one (a supressor) you want coated I'd say have it done, anything (reference coating the baffles) that will make cleaning easier would be a plus.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Emilio wrote:
dtom29 wrote:I thought about having a suppressor coated with nickel boron....just for cleanup and Increasing the durability. I'm still not sure that it would be worth it.
Think of this too, love NB on AR parts, just wish it was black. :D
Agree, all these coatings are too "bright"......
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

dtom29 wrote:
Agree, all these coatings are too "bright"......
Even if bright it good to see another old pre B CZ-75 with even more rare grips. :P

I call them "Black widow" grips. :mrgreen:

ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Emilio wrote:
Even if bright it good to see another old pre B CZ-75 with even more rare grips.
I bought that Pre model B in 1984 from the Rod and Gun Club at Karl Schurz Kaserne in Bremerhaven West Germany (the Model 29-3 as well).

The CZ's finish was damaged when I had it shipped home in 1986 and I had a local guy re blue it. Never like the re blue so I had ROBAR do their thing in 2003.

That NP3 is so slick that if the slide has a hint of oil on it you can't rack rack it. Your hand will slip right off.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

KevinCa316 wrote: Has any R&D ever been conducted?
Yes and it was found to not be worth it, the expense was ridiculous and there was no benefit in the cleaning.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

ATCDoktor wrote:Emilio wrote:
Even if bright it good to see another old pre B CZ-75 with even more rare grips.
I bought that Pre model B in 1984 from the Rod and Gun Club at Karl Schurz Kaserne in Bremerhaven West Germany (the Model 29-3 as well).

The CZ's finish was damaged when I had it shipped home in 1986 and I had a local guy re blue it. Never like the re blue so I had ROBAR do their thing in 2003.

That NP3 is so slick that if the slide has a hint of oil on it you can't rack rack it. Your hand will slip right off.
Was yours original a `tropen`` model ??
they where not blued , but hat a lacquer layer , this was to prevent the steel to rust in tropical conditions

the new ones are also painted ,,But in a matte finish, a very tough one
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

It is the old finish before they changed. I find it in a store for $285 with matching mag. My other Pre B is a transition model and has the tough powder coat type finish.

Amigo also buy a Pre b in Germany when in the army.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Was yours original a `tropen`` model ??
Mine was the tropen model with the Black Laquer finish.

The original finish on top of the slide got scraped badly during shipping and rolled the finish off in a wide swath from the ejection port to the front sight. I had a gunsmith shop in New Mexico strip it off and blue it in 1987 or 87.

I left it blued for about 15 years and had the NP3 finish applied in '03.
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Post by Glock35 »

the mp5/40 cleans up very good after NP3. The bolt was left oem & powder sticks to it like glue when shooting w silencer

exterior coating didn't hold up for anything; I dont baby it either though