new guy questions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

davisn4

new guy questions

Post by davisn4 »

Hey guys I'm sure this is stupid but what is the difference between "wet" and "dry"(innuendo jokes appreciated) suppressors? How does one "wet"(again with the jokes) their suppressor? And finally does anyone have experience with the YHM Wraith on their .22 platform?
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Re: new guy questions

Post by OJB4 »

I've gotta stop this habit.
davisn4

Post by davisn4 »

Great resource!! thank you very much for the link!!! how does the coolant stay in the suppressor?
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Well, I'm only 2 months into my first purchase and haven't even sent out the form 4's yet so I'm not the best person to answer that with anything other than....."it depends"

I'm thinking water would come out pretty easily after the gun moving around a bit. There are other substances that you can use which are kind of thick and don't run like water.....somebody will let you know exactly what (I haven't researched that much...don't plan on shooting mine wet...yet)

I do know that anytime you shoot something wet it only lasts for several rounds. Maybe a couple mags at most. Somebody with better experience will be able to give you a much better answer. Different wetting agents will likely last for different numbers of rounds. Probably depends on what ammo you use also.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

wet only makes a mess, make sure you have take apart can for cleaning and the favorite cheap stuff is wire pulling gel found at hardware store.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
davisn4

Post by davisn4 »

i have heard a lot about ultrasound gel as well.... is it easy as lightly coating the baffles?
Last edited by davisn4 on Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

davisn4 wrote:i have heard a lot about ultrasonic gel as well.... is it easy as lightly coating the baffles?

IF it is good to use I might be able to get that for pretty cheap since I run a pharmacy. Wonder how messy THAT is though??? Sure was slimy and messy when my wife had the ultrasound of our son......I think I"ll prolly just keep mine dry.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Wire pulling gel from Lowes or Home Depot. Be sure you get the water based stuff:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... s-sellers/
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

If you are going to shoot it wet it best be take apart either from the factory or we will jailbreak it for you.

Wet cans buildup gunk alot faster than when shooting dry, you need to be able to clean it out afterwards.

For most wet medias you just squirt a little in the mount end and shake it around to coat the baffles, then check the bore to be sure none is blocking the path of the bullet.

Most medias only last a mag or 2 if that, depending on the caliber will determine how fast it burns off.

As far as dirty? OH YEAH! It will spray everywhere forward of the muzzle and rear of the rifle/pistol(usually your face).

Depending on how cheap you get ultrasound gel I would use that or wire pulling gel.

We have some new product inbound for testing that sounds like it could replace these nasty medias and make it more enjoyable to shoot wet.......time will tell once we start testing it.