8" 300 Blackout - Muzzle Brake or Flash Hider?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

KSmoker

8" 300 Blackout - Muzzle Brake or Flash Hider?

Post by KSmoker »

While I patiently await my Form 1 for my 300 Blackout SBR I'm contemplating Muzzle devices. This will be an 8" Noveske barrel with an AAC SDN6. Do I need a Muzzle Brake for this to protect the Suppressor baffles? I'll be shooting Sub and Super rounds probably 80/20 mix. If the Flash hider is sufficient will it have the Blackout "ring" to it? That doesn't seem bad on 223 but would be annoying on a subsonic gun. If anyone has actual experience with this setup I'd appreciate your feedback.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Re: 8" 300 Blackout - Muzzle Brake or Flash Hider?

Post by m1garand30064 »

The flash hider will ring. Get the break if that is a problem.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

My 16" does not ring, neither my bullpup 556. They vary. You can also make each prong a different length for no ring.

300BLK is easier on suppressors with short barrels than 223 so you can use any mount.

I rather have a GOOD FH than a loud break with flash. I test at night and the FH works GREAT! (like Vortex) The breaks no!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Emilio wrote:My 16" does not ring, neither my bullpup 556. They vary. You can also make each prong a different length for no ring.

300BLK is easier on suppressors with short barrels than 223 so you can use any mount.

I rather have a GOOD FH than a loud break with flash. I test at night and the FH works GREAT! (like Vortex) The breaks no!
I'm with Emilio on this one.

And versus 5.56 (for example), 300 BLK is much gentler on the baffles. I'd run a flash hider, because it is much more pleasant when shooting unsuppressed.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
BC98

Post by BC98 »

I'm a masochist: I actually enjoy shooting muzzle brakes on short barrels. I vote brake.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

BC98 wrote:I'm a masochist: I actually enjoy shooting muzzle brakes on short barrels. I vote brake.
That is another way to look at it.
Kick Ass Design
BC98

Post by BC98 »

JasonM wrote:
BC98 wrote:I'm a masochist: I actually enjoy shooting muzzle brakes on short barrels. I vote brake.
That is another way to look at it.
I used to work for ATK's Advanced Weapon Division and if safety regs would have permitted it, I would have stood next to the 30mm Bushmaster (same rounds as the A-10) when it fired. My boss knew I was a little crazy...

Enough thread derailment.

In terms of a (rational) reason for my choice, I prefer the reduction in recoil and muzzle climb as I like to shoot fast. Having little recovery time between shots is more important to me than reduction in flash. Plus, suppressors are not currently allowed in MN so I can't use a can for a flash suppressor.
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

Thanks guys. I was mostly wanting to avoid any ringing first and foremost but the 7.62 brakes are OOS everywhere. These are toys so I don't plan on shooting them a whole lot at night. The only gun for that might see dusk shooting will get a flash hider (coyote gun). Also call me weird or a wimp but once I started shooting brakes on 223s (3-gun rifle) I became addicted to them. I kinda like the concussion as it clears out shooters around me at the range plus the gun just doesn't move.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

KSmoker wrote:Thanks guys. I was mostly wanting to avoid any ringing first and foremost but the 7.62 brakes are OOS everywhere. These are toys so I don't plan on shooting them a whole lot at night. The only gun for that might see dusk shooting will get a flash hider (coyote gun). Also call me weird or a wimp but once I started shooting brakes on 223s (3-gun rifle) I became addicted to them. I kinda like the concussion as it clears out shooters around me at the range plus the gun just doesn't move.
Another option to consider is the BRAKEOUT- it's the combo comp/hider... no ring, a lot of brake and compensation. It's also $50 cheaper than the full brake for some reason. Noveske should have them in stock for sale.
Kick Ass Design
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

JasonM wrote:
Emilio wrote:My 16" does not ring, neither my bullpup 556. They vary. You can also make each prong a different length for no ring.

And versus 5.56 (for example), 300 BLK is much gentler on the baffles. I'd run a flash hider, because it is much more pleasant when shooting unsuppressed.
and why are you shooting unsuppressed? :wink:
NP
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

delta9mda wrote:
JasonM wrote:

and why are you shooting unsuppressed? :wink:
Because I'm jaded and don't get any thrills from shooting suppressed anymore. 8)
Kick Ass Design
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I do not have the same can as you do ... but I use a flash hider with the 300 BLK and a brake on a .308 Win and a 6,8. The arrangement works well.

The 300 BLK does not ring, and my can is titanium and I understand they are prone to ringing.