Gov hiring contractors to pick up nfa pace?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gov hiring contractors to pick up nfa pace?

Post by 57fairlane »

continuity wrote:
Prince Yamato wrote:... Can't they just look up my name on a computer and say, 'ok, he's clean' ?"
Not to be the wet blanket but, while you were clean the last time, you may have stepped in some s--t since....
Are the examiners not doing what a computer would do anyways?

Do you mean to tell me that the examiners are hand searching through your records?

You are implying that a computer cannot be "up-to-date"
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

ToyotaGuru wrote:Would be nice if they were running at 6 months. Right now I have one at over 7 months :( . I hope the extra help does speed things up soon. I have 4 forms pending right now.
What state do you live in. I'm in Florida and have Lamberger.

From what I've seen on NFA Tracker he's running right at 6 months. Last September I got a stamp 106 days from pending that he signed off on.
ToyotaGuru
Silent Operator

Post by ToyotaGuru »

I'm in Missouri and have Bowers. His times have been all over he place lately, its like he picks a box of forms at random in his office. I got one back from him in March that was a couple of days over 6 months door to door. The one I am waiting on now was sent in 20 days after the last one. Have another one that is 32 days after that. Called and checked on both last Thursday and still pending on both.
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

WooD wrote:
ToyotaGuru wrote:Would be nice if they were running at 6 months. Right now I have one at over 7 months :( . I hope the extra help does speed things up soon. I have 4 forms pending right now.

From what I've seen on NFA Tracker he's running right at 6 months. Last September I got a stamp 106 days from pending that he signed off on.
Back in January Lamberger was running 6mo door to door; now he's about 7-7.5 months door to door.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

m1garand30064 wrote:A better solution would be to move suppressors to an instant background check, allow the tax to be paid to the retailer, and let the customer walk out the door with it at the point of purchase.
If we tied their paycheck to the wait time, I'm sure they'd come up with a solution very much like this.
rogerme wrote:A better solution is end the NFA all together and just buy what you want without the gov being involved at all.
Indeed, but I don't think the ATF can do that on its own. Gotta lean on congress for that one... Or perhaps the court system, but the NFA has been upheld by the courts before.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
jta

Post by jta »

WooD wrote:

I'm in FL and have Lamberger too. The last one of his posted on nfatracker was pending 192 days. I was hoping to have mine before my birthday but that will only be 190 days. I'm not holding my breath. :oops:
atilliar
Silent Operator

Post by atilliar »

rogerme wrote:
m1garand30064 wrote:
A better solution would be to move suppressors to an instant background check, allow the tax to be paid to the retailer, and let the customer walk out the door with it at the point of purchase.
A better solution is end the NFA all together and just buy what you want without the gov being involved at all.
+1
"What worries me is not the younger generation's rebelliousness in petty matters, but their tameness in great matters." Albert Jay Nock
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Next I suppose they'll want a blood sample, urine sample and hair sample just to cover all possible aspects of a persons life. And if that urine sample showed that you drank even one beer you'll then be put into "problem status" until you show proof of enrollment in an AA program.
I've gotta stop this habit.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

OJB4 wrote:Next I suppose they'll want a blood sample, urine sample and hair sample just to cover all possible aspects of a persons life. And if that urine sample showed that you drank even one beer you'll then be put into "problem status" until you show proof of enrollment in an AA program.
Thats not even funny, dont give them any great new ideas :(

Im still waiting for the transfer from silencerco to my dealer (2 months already)... its gonna take forever it seems. My dealer (I live in Florida) told me to expect 50% more hold time due to current sales driving nfa backload. I'd like to at least be able to say i've filed the form 4 but i cannot even do that yet. At least i am getting exactly what i wanted, and not accepting the picked over stock the dealer currently has.
Blackhorse Scout
sha-ul
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sha-ul »

m1garand30064 wrote:A better solution would be to move suppressors to an instant background check, allow the tax to be paid to the retailer, and let the customer walk out the door with it at the point of purchase.
Agreed, given the current political climate,which would rule out repealing the NFA, To me the best compromise of efficiency& security would be to either convert the tax stamp to an excise tax payable at the point of sale for Suppressors,SRB&SBS, and AOW for sale to those 21 or older (If you can buy a handgun over the counter why not a rifle with a 14" barrel? )
Or if they want to stay with a tax stamp so you have proof of purchase, Why not do what many states have done with their fishing/hunting licenses, have a dedicated printer that prints off the govt paper,& now you have a printed tax stamp. :wink:
Politically it would be difficult to sell FA over the counter, but the now radically less burdened examiners could process FA, and DD more quickly.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

rcn11thacr wrote:
OJB4 wrote:Next I suppose they'll want a blood sample, urine sample and hair sample just to cover all possible aspects of a persons life. And if that urine sample showed that you drank even one beer you'll then be put into "problem status" until you show proof of enrollment in an AA program.
Thats not even funny, dont give them any great new ideas :(

Im still waiting for the transfer from silencerco to my dealer (2 months already)... its gonna take forever it seems. My dealer (I live in Florida) told me to expect 50% more hold time due to current sales driving nfa backload. I'd like to at least be able to say i've filed the form 4 but i cannot even do that yet. At least i am getting exactly what i wanted, and not accepting the picked over stock the dealer currently has.

You're right.....I prolly shouldn't have given them any ideas. Y'all are all gonna ban me if anything on that post ends up in the revised rulebook huh?

My bad fellas....... :(
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

You're right.....I prolly shouldn't have given them any ideas. Y'all are all gonna ban me if anything on that post ends up in the revised rulebook huh?

Yep. You keep it up an we will have to divide the spoils from your toybox, while they drag your sorry carcass from the local swamp... :P
Blackhorse Scout
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

rcn11thacr wrote:

Yep. You keep it up an we will have to divide the spoils from your toybox, while they drag your sorry carcass from the local swamp... :P

HAHAHA.....it would be the least I could do for being the source of everybody's frustration. :lol:
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Just be sure to let me know before y'all kill me so I can amend my trust to put y'alls name in it! :)
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

OJB4 wrote:Just be sure to let me know before y'all kill me so I can amend my trust to put y'alls name in it! :)
LOL. Wouldnt want to break any laws during the commission of a felony murder by illegally gaining accessing to class 3 items.
Blackhorse Scout
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

It would just be common se----. Never mind. Wasted thought on the government. Mine started out 4 to 6 weeks and now is on 13 just to the dealer. I am just wanting to get it by my next birthday!
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

hunter2 wrote:It would just be common se----. Never mind. Wasted thought on the government. Mine started out 4 to 6 weeks and now is on 13 just to the dealer. I am just wanting to get it by my next birthday!

Good luck....common sense and the government NEVER to hand in hand. Unless you're referring to a "Lack Of" in the sentence. Ha Ha.

I was hoping the ones I bought at the beginning of March would be in my hands by Thanksgiving. Still no approval for the dealer transfer so maybe Christmas????
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

OJB4 wrote:
hunter2 wrote:It would just be common se----. Never mind. Wasted thought on the government. Mine started out 4 to 6 weeks and now is on 13 just to the dealer. I am just wanting to get it by my next birthday!

Good luck....common sense and the government NEVER to hand in hand. Unless you're referring to a "Lack Of" in the sentence. Ha Ha.

I was hoping the ones I bought at the beginning of March would be in my hands by Thanksgiving. Still no approval for the dealer transfer so maybe Christmas????
With the current pace/trending, I'm expecting my April 3rd pending to be back by March 2013. If you're still waiting on a transfer to dealer, I wouldn't expect it to be in your hands before Q2'13 at the least.

This is one of the few times in my life where I'm *REALLY* hoping I'm wrong and totally over-estimated.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

sillycon wrote:
OJB4 wrote:

With the current pace/trending, I'm expecting my April 3rd pending to be back by March 2013. If you're still waiting on a transfer to dealer, I wouldn't expect it to be in your hands before Q2'13 at the least.

This is one of the few times in my life where I'm *REALLY* hoping I'm wrong and totally over-estimated.

You and me both!
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Blaubart wrote:I don't know why this is so hard to fix. There's an easy solution to the problem and wait times could probably be brought down to 1 week without hiring any new employees.

1. Inform everyone in the NFA division that the processing time for paychecks will be pinned to the processing time for NFA goodies.

2. Sit back and watch the problem fix itself overnight.

And that right there explains why gov't will ALWAYS be inefficient.

ZERO incentive to improve efficiency.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....