Krinker Plinker (Almost)

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Krinker Plinker (Almost)

Post by LavaRed »

So I finally decided to take the plunge away from the classical, and to bring my old war-beaten East German underfolder into the 21st. Century.

This is her Before:

This is her Now:

NCStar Operating cover with Picattiny rail, Tapco Aluminium Quad Picattiny vented handguards, nice, solid forward grip that's also a bipod (forgot the brand, but it's not one of the cheap ones), NCStar holographi sight with 4 optional reticles in both red and green, US-made black pistol grip to match the furniture, Bulgarian Waffle mags in both 30 and 40 rounds, and last but not least, a real-deal Russian Krinker Plinker muzzle brake.
Oh, and an old universal arms 4x32 scope with Weaver rings, but I'll replace it with another Tasco 3-9x40 IR on UTG QD rings in the near future.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Re: Krinker Plinker (Almost)

Post by epicdoom »

Lava that looks awesome. I been throwing around the idea to install rails on my AK mines a side folder and I hate it I did install a top cover with rail and it had some cycling issues so I removed it and bought the side mount, that one is fantastic and has a high level of repeatibility. I have a tapco furnature set on it but would rather have rails. I want the AR style stock and full rail system for mine. Love the Grip pod.

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Lava, again you hit it out of the ball park! Masterful!

Out of curiosity, which U-Boot did that naval cap on the back shelf
come out of?

Many thanks for graciously showing.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

@ Historian: Sadly I'm afraid to say it is not an original. I got it off of eBay years ago where it was listed as having been a movie-prop. It does have a charging bull pinned to the side, so I suppose it was meant to represent either U-47's, or some other boat of the 7th. Flotilla. But its a good copy, and most importantly it fits me perfectly :D .

@ Epicdoom: Cycling issues can be caused by the top cover being too tight against the bolt top. That can be remedied by bending the cover with pliers slightly at the front and the back where the locking screws are. Hope that helps.
Last edited by LavaRed on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

Lava TY for the advice I gave it to a friend to mess with on his AK and I bought the side mount. I figured it was something binding and didnt want to play with it when its easier to just put the side scope mount on. I had the same issue with my SKS it took some filing to get that cover fitting good and cycling correctly. I like shooting the SKS more then the AK but the AK can be some great fun
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

epicdoom wrote:Lava TY for the advice I gave it to a friend to mess with on his AK and I bought the side mount. I figured it was something binding and didnt want to play with it when its easier to just put the side scope mount on. I had the same issue with my SKS it took some filing to get that cover fitting good and cycling correctly. I like shooting the SKS more then the AK but the AK can be some great fun
Mine had the same issue with hand-cycling when first installed, so I tried this and the issue went away. It did not reappear when test-firing.

Another thing that produces jamming is the handguards. If tightnened too much or in the wrong position, they can exert pressure on the gas-tube, which binds up the piston. It's tricky to get right but it can be done.
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

I found a complete kit for the AK to dress it up like I want now just need the OK from the little woman to order it.
I have a question on the NCstar stuff I see a good number of folks at the range using that brand. Do you have much exp. with that brand I'm curious if it would hold up it's certianly priced rite. I spent a good bit for the Eotech holo on my M4 would have been nice to spend less for something that would hold up just as well.
My AK shot great till I installed that upper rail Ill pass the info on to my friend for when he installs it on his AK. its been a year since I gave it to him lol. I gotta install stuff the same day I get it, Went to visit Engage Armament Couple weeks ago Great folks down there BTW. I Bought a quad for the AR Got home went straight the the gun safe and grabed the AR and threw that quad on.

Joe
Semper Fi
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

epicdoom wrote:I found a complete kit for the AK to dress it up like I want now just need the OK from the little woman to order it.
I have a question on the NCstar stuff I see a good number of folks at the range using that brand. Do you have much exp. with that brand I'm curious if it would hold up it's certianly priced rite. I spent a good bit for the Eotech holo on my M4 would have been nice to spend less for something that would hold up just as well.
My AK shot great till I installed that upper rail Ill pass the info on to my friend for when he installs it on his AK. its been a year since I gave it to him lol. I gotta install stuff the same day I get it, Went to visit Engage Armament Couple weeks ago Great folks down there BTW. I Bought a quad for the AR Got home went straight the the gun safe and grabed the AR and threw that quad on.

Joe
They've worked so far, but I haven't tested them extensively. I just recently bought those two, and I bought them for the price, simply.
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

I can't stop puking..Please make it stop.

There is a guy on Gunsnet called Printerman that would have wet undies over that abortion.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

Thank god I'm not the only one..... Ncstar? really?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Lava... please tell me that your dead-panning this one.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

That AK would be worth $25,000+ if it was in the US and transferable. I can't get to liking it. Can you get a cheap Romanian or something to play dress up with?
piglatinhater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by piglatinhater »

Why was the metal scrubbed clean of its finish?
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

@piglatinhater: This weapon was actually in combat with the local guerrillas in the 80's, and then captured by someone in the army, and then used in combat by him before it came in my possession. When I got it it was rather rough and painted black. I only stripped the paint away and lightly refinished it without blasting it or anything, the idea being to make it look respectable without it looking new.

@robpiat: Not really. I'm not really looking for more AK's because the ammo is incredibly scarce and incredibly expensive here. I did save all of the original furniture however.

@Libertarian_Geek: I did need a good, handy, modern home defense rifle, and this one was the best available choice to modernise within my collection. That being said, I do confess I'd rather her in her original furniture, especially as she's an all matching example with all-original furniture.

Given the whole difficulty of finding ammo situation, I'd much rather have an M4 carbine to modernise as 5.56NATO is far more plentiful here, but AR-15 platform rifles are not.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Seriously a dust cover mounted scope? Those shitty irons will be way better than a scope mounted that way. At least put a beryl mount on it you want to use a scope.
LP
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

I gotta' say lava, that it started as a good, handy home defense rifle. I don't think that you modernized it, but instead made it cludgy. The cheekweld of an underfolder with that high scope mount (not to mention a scope mount only supported on the top-metal will be inconsistent) is going to be horrible. Plus unnecessary rails with rail covers over most of them is another departure from "handy". How much weight did you add?

Sorry, but I honestly thought that you were joking at first.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:I gotta' say lava, that it started as a good, handy home defense rifle. I don't think that you modernized it, but instead made it cludgy. The cheekweld of an underfolder with that high scope mount (not to mention a scope mount only supported on the top-metal will be inconsistent) is going to be horrible. Plus unnecessary rails with rail covers over most of them is another departure from "handy". How much weight did you add?

Sorry, but I honestly thought that you were joking at first.
Well, I do admit that it went up to around 8 or 10 lbs.

I guess I can still put the old furniture back.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

By general acclaim, I have decided that I will return the rifle to it's original configuration and furniture.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Lava.....You have redeemed yourself with many here! :D
beanfield33

Post by beanfield33 »

Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

That's more along the lines of what I think of as a handy home defense AK ^ . (And Lava's has a giggle switch)
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:That's more along the lines of what I think of as a handy home defense AK ^ . (And Lava's has a giggle switch)
Lol, after yesterday that phrase has a whole new meaning for me.

I needed to test the new 30rd. magazine I got for my FAL. I had a very bad crick in the neck from sleeping in a bad position. So I flick the switch from safe all the way to full auto (doing this never gets old, it's like foreplay, seriously). I pull the trigger just a second and 5 rounds spray downrange. Perfect. No jam after two rounds as usually foretold. So I pull the trigger and dump the rest of the mag, struggling against the barbaric muzzle rise. By the time the bolt locked back I couldn't hear a thing. And, most importantly, the crick in the neck had completely gone away. Better than the best massage. I couldn't help but giggling like an idiot for the rest of the day.

Now if only I could acquire a crate full of ammo. As it is I have almost run out of every rifle round available. I'm well below 200 for most of them.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Sorry Lava but I thinking AK's should look like AK's.

Put it back! :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!