Is Tornado Technologies out of business?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

davester

Is Tornado Technologies out of business?

Post by davester »

Sent them a customer's Hi-Point carbine many months ago and they won't return calls or answer emails. I know they were moving to a bigger facility, but their customer service has been terrible on this transaction. They have done good work on several other customer's guns in past.

Dave Gilmore
JDG enterprise
Leawood, Ks
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Is Tornado Technologies out of business?

Post by Bendersquint »

davester wrote:Sent them a customer's Hi-Point carbine many months ago and they won't return calls or answer emails. I know they were moving to a bigger facility, but their customer service has been terrible on this transaction. They have done good work on several other customer's guns in past.

Dave Gilmore
JDG enterprise
Leawood, Ks
Did you call them ahead of time or just blindly send the customer rifle for threading?

If you had spoken to them you would have known(unless Mike isn't telling people anymore) that they are close to a YEAR turnaround for an easy project, yes a YEAR.

Been that way for well over a year now.

I send all my customers elsewhere once Mike told me that.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

My GSG 5 took 17 months......
davester

Post by davester »

Finally heard back from them today. Yes they are still in business. They said they would get right on the work since it was far overdue. I got a kick out of the line from the gent from North Carolina above. Don't know how long you've been in this business, but I'm 60 now and I don't do anything "blindly". We are SOT's and thread barrels but not Hi-Point products (nor do we sell them). I'm a Class III dealer and try not to shoot from the hip on these forums. Good way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Thank you.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I have used them in the past when turn around was quicker.
Anything in the firearms industry is HOT, but what PROJECT caused them to get soooooo backlogged?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

davester wrote:Finally heard back from them today. Yes they are still in business. They said they would get right on the work since it was far overdue. I got a kick out of the line from the gent from North Carolina above. Don't know how long you've been in this business, but I'm 60 now and I don't do anything "blindly". We are SOT's and thread barrels but not Hi-Point products (nor do we sell them). I'm a Class III dealer and try not to shoot from the hip on these forums. Good way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Thank you.
You would be surprised(or maybe not) if you saw the things that we deal with from other SOT's and individuals all done blindly.

We hear very often from people that blindly send things out expecting the same day turnaround on services.
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

I hope not, I just sent them four rifles to thread. Called them and they said they weren't threading rifles for three more weeks but they let me mail it in to get in line for when they start. I hope it's not a year! A few months would'nt bother me as my cans are due in November, but I hope I get them back before December.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

It has said on there websight they are not accepting any rifles to be threaded.. so how are you guys still sending them stuff?

I really do not want to wait I just want a good job that AAC will back any suggestions? I have an Rem 700 LTR that i want to get threaded
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2935.png[/img][/url]
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

there is a guy here locally in okc, dustin gaunder. he is on here as well, he prob has a 2 week turnaround on stuff. max. unless stuff changed. major would probb vouch for him as well. "class 3 designs".

goin to TT tech for me is like tellin an immigrant that never owned a car to get a ferrari. sure its top o the line, but why wait, and a ford does the same thing.
its quiet time!
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Blaster7Romeo wrote:It has said on there websight they are not accepting any rifles to be threaded.. so how are you guys still sending them stuff?

I really do not want to wait I just want a good job that AAC will back any suggestions? I have an Rem 700 LTR that i want to get threaded
Gemtech did a great job on my Remington......just sayin
Quick turn around too.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

dtom29 wrote:Gemtech did a great job on my Remington......just sayin
Quick turn around too.

Same here, excellent job too.
abinok

Post by abinok »

saltydecimator wrote:there is a guy here locally in okc, dustin gaunder. he is on here as well, he prob has a 2 week turnaround on stuff. max. unless stuff changed. major would probb vouch for him as well. "class 3 designs".

goin to TT tech for me is like tellin an immigrant that never owned a car to get a ferrari. sure its top o the line, but why wait, and a ford does the same thing.
Ill vouch for him.
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

The reason I went with TT for the 4 guns I sent them was they were the only ones who I found would take them (mossberg plinkster, marlin 60, Winchester 70 and an m1 carbine) with the barrel still in the reciever. I don't have the skill tools or time to remove them.

Is it really a full year or is that an exaggeration? 4-5 months I don't mind, but a year would suck! Does anyone have personal knowledge of the situation at there currently?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jnitti1014 wrote:The reason I went with TT for the 4 guns I sent them was they were the only ones who I found would take them (mossberg plinkster, marlin 60, Winchester 70 and an m1 carbine) with the barrel still in the reciever. I don't have the skill tools or time to remove them.

Is it really a full year or is that an exaggeration? 4-5 months I don't mind, but a year would suck! Does anyone have personal knowledge of the situation at there currently?
Not an exaggeration at all. I have a few customers that got their rifles back after a mere 13 months!

They stopped taking thread jobs for awhile in hopes of getting caught up or down to reasonable turnarounds.
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

Thanks bender, Thats what I'm hoping for, that they are getting caught up and will be back to a reasonable amount of time when they start back up again, which I was told will be about a month from now. I was t doubting that there were people who they took a full year on, just looking to see if they were actively taking steps to prevent that in the future.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

BTW I saw that TT is now selling threaded barrels on ebay. Since their recent policy change I can not believe all the gun stuff that has been listed.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Kramer wrote:BTW I saw that TT is now selling threaded barrels on ebay. Since their recent policy change I can not believe all the gun stuff that has been listed.
What policy change?
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Bendersquint wrote:
Kramer wrote:BTW I saw that TT is now selling threaded barrels on ebay. Since their recent policy change I can not believe all the gun stuff that has been listed.
What policy change?
Ebay now allows some gun stuff.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Abiqua wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
What policy change?
Ebay now allows some gun stuff.
Do you have a link to that since I have had gun parts pulled. I was never made aware of any policy changes.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Double tap.
Last edited by Abiqua on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Bendersquint wrote:Do you have a link to that since I have had gun parts pulled. I was never made aware of any policy changes.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/fir ... nives.html

Click on firearms.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

I can't believe anyone is still sending them thread jobs.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

renegade wrote:I can't believe anyone is still sending them thread jobs.
I can't either. I'd thread my barrels with a fucking file before I'd send them anything.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

rockman96 wrote:
I can't either. I'd thread my barrels with a fucking file before I'd send them anything.
What did they do wrong?
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

laxguy59 wrote:
rockman96 wrote:
What did they do wrong?
Their work is top notch, it's the long wait that is the problem.