Possible Dealer Issue - 7/10 Update in OP

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cardboardkiller
Senior Silent Operator

Possible Dealer Issue - 7/10 Update in OP

Post by cardboardkiller »

Back in March, I paid for/ordered a Tirant 9 at a local shop that I have done a fair bit of business with who gave me fair prices, not screaming deals, but good prices and they are 5 minutes from my house. I was told then that everyone they dealt with was out of stock on Tirant 9's and it would be a couple of months before they got one. No big deal even though I really hate buying stuff that isn't in stock.

I find out today there's been some kind of blow up between the two owners and that my can was never ordered. I went by there today to get a refund and the owner that was there told me to call the other owner, as he didn't handle the class III stuff. I called the other guy a few times and I've received no answer. I'm afraid they're going to close the shop and I'm going to be out my money. To make matters worse, I have to fly out tomorrow for work and I'll be gone for a week and a half or maybe 3 weeks.

When I get home, if we can't come to any kind of resolution (refund or I see my can in someone's hands) I'm off to small claims court and filing a police report.

Should I or can I contact the ATF also? No "firearm" ever changed hands, so I'm not sure if this is something they would deal with.

Any other suggestions other than getting my ball peen hammer out and making a housecall?

*UPDATE: The other owner called me today and he assured me that he would have my money when I got home. He also said, he could've sworn that the can was ordered and that I had already submitted my form 4. I have no idea how much faith I have in either of these statements. he also told me he is shutting the shop down.

Also, another party with former interests in the business, who was one of their class III suppliers had also talked to the other owner and informed him of my situation again and the other owner agreed to make good on my refund. Again, I'm still a bit skeptical.

This third party informed me that my can had been placed on hold with another distributor 3 times since I ordered it, but the order was never completed.

I paid by check, but I do have a receipt with the business name on it as well as the check number.

I'm beat as I've slept about 3 hours in the last 36 hours. I flew part of the way to my destination and drove to my mother's house so I could stop and see her since she just got out of the hospital today after being in there exactly a month from falling and breaking her leg in 3 places. Then I drove the rest of the way to the city where I'm working about 3 hours away from her. So this may not make just a whole lot of sense.

7/10 - I met up with one of the owners, Jack, afterI flew home Sunday and received a full cash refund. He's liquidating all the accessory inventory to pay return everyone's money. I'm relieved to say the least.
Last edited by cardboardkiller on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Branded for life.
WC
Silent But Deadly

Re: Possible Dealer Issue

Post by WC »

I'd call the ATF and see what they have to say. You entered into a good faith transaction in which the dealer agreed to acquire a Class 3 item in exchange for the money you paid at the front end of the deal. I'd want the ATF to breathe down somebody's neck if they screwed me around on a C3 item. If the ATF doesn't come thru, you definitely have a Small Claims case.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

WC wrote:I'd call the ATF and see what they have to say. You entered into a good faith transaction in which the dealer agreed to acquire a Class 3 item in exchange for the money you paid at the front end of the deal. I'd want the ATF to breathe down somebody's neck if they screwed me around on a C3 item. If the ATF doesn't come thru, you definitely have a Small Claims case.
Unfortunately the ATF is only the licensing authority and nothing else.

Small claims court is the only option, ATF only cares that everything is done by the books and they get their licensing fees.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

If they are partner's in a business he does not just get to say talk to Bob, that was Bob's deal, Get money refund or if they are broke, accept store credit and take something off the shelf you can carry out. As if they are no longer in love that place is going to get worse before it gets better. For a handfull of hundred dollars it is not worth your time in court and they know it.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

Typical retarded C3 dealers. I have no idea why they are almost all complete idiots.

My buddy here in AZ has an AAC mini sitting tied up as evidence. The dealer is in jail for some machine gun violations. The prosecuter (some broad) won't release anything yet.

Rule #1 when dealing with C3 scum. ONLY plunk down money for an item that you can put your hands on. That hedges against most of the pitfalls you face when dealing with these fucking imbeciles.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

Do your homework next time and see if there really is no TiRant 9's in stock. I know my dealer had plenty in March and you'd be waiting on the form 4 by now. I would never give a dealer money for a can they do not have in stock.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
cardboardkiller
Senior Silent Operator

m1garand30064 wrote:Do your homework next time and see if there really is no TiRant 9's in stock. I know my dealer had plenty in March and you'd be waiting on the form 4 by now. I would never give a dealer money for a can they do not have in stock.
I had no reason not to trust these guys from the previous dealings I've had with them.

Also, I don't have time to make call after call or send out a ton of emails. I've spent less than 5 weeks home this year and a 12 hour day is almost a short day for me. I'm on round trip flight number 14 right now, I was in Chile week before last if that gives you any indication of how far I travel for work. Chile made 19 countries I've worked in in the last 7 years and I've been to some of them at least twice.

For some of the security paperwork I have to fill out, I have to put every country I've been to and the dates. I usually end up having to write on the back of the paper.

Also, bump for update.
Branded for life.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Re: Possible Dealer Issue - Update in OP

Post by David Hineline »

FYI any dealer doing transfers for $50 is a hobby dealer, never surprises me when they shut down as they find out they can not make a living. Go with a real dealer next time.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

David Hineline wrote:FYI any dealer doing transfers for $50 is a hobby dealer, never surprises me when they shut down as they find out they can not make a living. Go with a real dealer next time.
What difference does how much they charge for a transfer matter?
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rogerme wrote:
David Hineline wrote:FYI any dealer doing transfers for $50 is a hobby dealer, never surprises me when they shut down as they find out they can not make a living. Go with a real dealer next time.
What difference does how much they charge for a transfer matter?
I know plenty of dealers that charge $50 a transfer and they aren't hobby dealers. Now if that is ALL you do is transfers you won't make a penny, but any good businessmen knows to augment with stuff like sales but that goes wtihout saying.

My experience is that hobby dealers generally charge alot more for transfers because of how few they do a year, gotta make their money!
cardboardkiller
Senior Silent Operator

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with my situation, but ok.
Branded for life.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

cardboardkiller wrote:
m1garand30064 wrote:Do your homework next time and see if there really is no TiRant 9's in stock. I know my dealer had plenty in March and you'd be waiting on the form 4 by now. I would never give a dealer money for a can they do not have in stock.
I had no reason not to trust these guys from the previous dealings I've had with them.

Also, I don't have time to make call after call or send out a ton of emails. I've spent less than 5 weeks home this year and a 12 hour day is almost a short day for me. I'm on round trip flight number 14 right now, I was in Chile week before last if that gives you any indication of how far I travel for work. Chile made 19 countries I've worked in in the last 7 years and I've been to some of them at least twice.

For some of the security paperwork I have to fill out, I have to put every country I've been to and the dates. I usually end up having to write on the back of the paper.

Also, bump for update.
It's not a trust issue between you and your dealer. The issue is waiting on the manufacturer to actually make the can. I've heard stories of people paying for a can from a dealer who in turn placed the order with a manufacturer, and they ended up waiting a year for the can to show up at the store. Understand that manufacturers do production runs of certain cans at certain times, and they are not making everything they offer all the time. If you want can X but they are making can Y, then plan on tooling up to make cans Z, A, and B, you could be waiting a REALLY long time before can X comes up in the production cycle.

You'll save yourself a lot of time and headache by seeking out a can that is already in a dealer's hand and doing a form 3 transfer. Dont have a lot of time? Just make a post on this website asking for dealers that have the silencer you want in stock. There are enough on here that one will respond. It'll save yourself A LOT of time and headache.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

m1garand30064 wrote:
cardboardkiller wrote:

Also, bump for update.
It's not a trust issue between you and your dealer. The issue is waiting on the manufacturer to actually make the can. I've heard stories of people paying for a can from a dealer who in turn placed the order with a manufacturer, and they ended up waiting a year for the can to show up at the store. Understand that manufacturers do production runs of certain cans at certain times, and they are not making everything they offer all the time. If you want can X but they are making can Y, then plan on tooling up to make cans Z, A, and B, you could be waiting a REALLY long time before can X comes up in the production cycle.

You'll save yourself a lot of time and headache by seeking out a can that is already in a dealer's hand and doing a form 3 transfer. Dont have a lot of time? Just make a post on this website asking for dealers that have the silencer you want in stock. There are enough on here that one will respond. It'll save yourself A LOT of time and headache.
This sounds just like the several hundred of the SureFire P22 22lr can that was sold the beginning of last year and have yet to have a single one made..... :shock:
cardboardkiller
Senior Silent Operator

m1garand30064 wrote:
cardboardkiller wrote:

Also, bump for update.

I know about the production schedules, I've been on both ends of them as far as cans are concerned. This would have been my 5th can and 9th stamp. I'm not new at the NFA game by any means. I don't mind waiting as long as forward progress is being made.

My first SBR took almost year because it took him a month or so to get it, it took me 3 months or so to get the paperwork and get it filled out, three months for stamp to come back and 3 months for me to get back in the state and close enough to him to drive and get it picked up.

The dealers I've found on the Internet that had cans in stock were far too proud of them. I don't pay retail. One of my cans I paid retail price for, but it included the stamp, state tax and transfer fee. I had to special order it since I did email and call dealers all over and none of them had a Cyclone in 18X1 for my TRG.

My 6.8 M42K was also a special order. I couldn't find a dealer who had one in the country, only a few had ever seen one and some didn't even know AAC made them.

Not everything can be just ordered from someone else. I try to support the local guys as much as I can too.
Branded for life.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Bendersquint wrote:
This sounds just like the several hundred of the SureFire P22 22lr can that was sold the beginning of last year and have yet to have a single one made..... :shock:
I asked my guy to get me one the first time I seen one. Lucky for me I am a good customer so I do not have to pay upfront though I do lots of times. He also does not charge me for transfers as he says I am already renting space in his safe with whatever I have pending LOL...
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
cardboardkiller
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Possible Dealer Issue - 7/11 Update in OP

Bump for update.
Branded for life.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Possible Dealer Issue - 7/10 Update in OP

Post by Bendersquint »

Sorry the outcome wasn't a product but glad to hear that they didn't stiff you.