PMR 30 Threaded Barrel

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

PMR 30 Threaded Barrel

Post by Tango2249 »

I just received from Kel-Tec the threaded PMR 30 barrel that I ordered. No where on their website does it say that the use of a suppressor is NOT recommended. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on these barrels. I was planning on using this barrel with a Spectre...

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Re: PMR 30 Threaded Barrel

Post by OJB4 »

I've been looking for a PMR 30 for months now. Where did you find yours?

Thanks
I've gotta stop this habit.
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

Let us know how that works, I have heard that due to the way the PMR 30 operates that the blow back of soot and gasses is a bit extreme.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

OJB4 wrote:I've been looking for a PMR 30 for months now. Where did you find yours?

Thanks
I ordered it directly from Kel-Tec.

http://keltecweapons.com/product/pmr-30 ... h-reducer/
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

The barrel doesn't have a shoulder.

That barrel is not suitable to be installing a suppressor on it unless your suppressor shoulders on the crown of the barrel.

Spectre doesn't shoulder in that way.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

When you ordered from Keltec was there a backorder?

You were joking about the website though, right? Cause the bold red print kinda gave away that you're not supposed to use a silencer on the PMR 30
I've gotta stop this habit.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Did you miss the picture YOU uploaded?

It says right on there not recommended. Just because it isn't on their website doesn't mean the included information when you purchased the part is not valid.

:shock:
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Bendersquint wrote:Did you miss the picture YOU uploaded?

It says right on there not recommended. Just because it isn't on their website doesn't mean the included information when you purchased the part is not valid.

NO...I did not miss the picture that I uploaded. I took the pictures of the package that the barrel came in myself after I received it. There are NO pictures or descriptions on the website. Thanks for the smart ass comments though... :roll:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tango2249 wrote:

NO...I did not miss the picture that I uploaded. I took the pictures of the package that the barrel came in myself after I received it. There are NO pictures or descriptions on the website. Thanks for the smart ass comments though... :roll:
You are right its not on the wensite but the documentation says it clearly.

The way i interpreted your post was that since the website doesn't say NO then its fine and here's the threaded barrel silencer ready. Apologize for misreading your words.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Tango2249 wrote:

You are right its not on the wensite but the documentation says it clearly.

The way i interpreted your post was that since the website doesn't say NO then its fine and here's the threaded barrel silencer ready. Apologize for misreading your words.
No problem....I didn't see the package until AFTER I received it from Kel-Tec. They have no pictures or description of the barrel on their website which pisses me off. I probably should have contacted them before ordering the barrel. I'll contact them about returning the barrel.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

Is the "not suitable for suppressors" due to the fact that the slide may not function correctly with the new weight? or is it due to it not having a shoulder? I'm sure with some creativity it can be done, early reports of testing said it would require a very light can.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Wow, long threads, no shoulder! What are they thinking? Maybe they can sell extended barrels for threading.

I would send this back. :x Sorry amigo! I like to see one in action!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Emilio wrote:Wow, long threads, no shoulder! What are they thinking? Maybe they can sell extended barrels for threading.

I would send this back. :x Sorry amigo! I like to see one in action!
I'm definitely going to send it back since there is no shoulder on it. It would have been a fun gun to shoot with a suppressor...
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Post by ronin111 »

The RMR should be easier since the barrel is fixed. That is if they ever release them.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

ronin111 wrote:The RMR should be easier since the barrel is fixed. That is if they ever release them.
It wont be if it uses the same pencil dick barrel.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

IF you screw on a right machined nut , THEN the can , then use the nut (Unscrew) to tighten up things , it should be good IF the threads are done right
another possibility is a piece that screws on first and act like a shoulder
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wolf wrote:IF you screw on a right machined nut , THEN the can , then use the nut (Unscrew) to tighten up things , it should be good IF the threads are done right
Good point. That could work but could be risky try.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

maybe Thompson Machine can tell us how they did theirs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5EiY5ntXYw
a guy on Ktog is claiming to attempt it and is using a thread adapter to bring it to 1/28, he hasn't reported back yet
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

laxguy59 wrote:maybe Thompson Machine can tell us how they did theirs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5EiY5ntXYw
a guy on Ktog is claiming to attempt it and is using a thread adapter to bring it to 1/28, he hasn't reported back yet
Do you have the link to that thread?
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread ... 866&page=3

member is Wyldman, he intends to use a Gemtech adapter. Claims to be a qualified engineer.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Bendersquint wrote:The barrel doesn't have a shoulder.

That barrel is not suitable to be installing a suppressor on it unless your suppressor shoulders on the crown of the barrel.

Would using this 3/8-24 to 1/2-28 adapter provide the shoulder needed to attach a Spectre to the threaded Kel-Tec barrel?

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/3-8-24 ... er-8p5.htm
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tango2249 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:The barrel doesn't have a shoulder.

Would using this 3/8-24 to 1/2-28 adapter provide the shoulder needed to attach a Spectre to the threaded Kel-Tec barrel?

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/3-8-24 ... er-8p5.htm
No because the adapter needs something to shoulder on and that barrel has no shoulder.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Bendersquint wrote:
wolf wrote:IF you screw on a right machined nut , THEN the can , then use the nut (Unscrew) to tighten up things , it should be good IF the threads are done right
For that kind of install I would be more inclined to try it with a 9mm can just for the added clearance.

What an utterly disappointing fail from KelTec, a threaded barrel that is only tacti-cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

doubloon wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
For that kind of install I would be more inclined to try it with a 9mm can just for the added clearance.

What an utterly disappointing fail from KelTec, a threaded barrel that is only tacti-cool.
If the design doesn't allow for it what are you going to do?
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Bendersquint wrote:
If the design doesn't allow for it what are you going to do?
make an adapter that indexes on the muzzle?