Is there a way to check progress of a suppressor transfer...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bunker168
Silent Operator

Is there a way to check progress of a suppressor transfer...

Post by bunker168 »

Just curious, is there a way to check the progress of dealer to dealer transfer for my suppressor order?

I called the out of state NFA dealer where I got the suppressor but not returning my call.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is there a way to check progress of a suppressor transfe

Post by 66427vette »

Your dealer can call. They can search by serial number or your dealers name. They will not talk to you about the form3 status though.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

66427vette wrote:Your dealer can call. They can search by serial number or your dealers name. They will not talk to you about the form3 status though.
Nope since it doesn't involve the consumer at all, it is privileged information ya know.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I'm still new to this, but so far I've found that it's best to forget you even purchased a silencer and just hope one day you get a call. I purchased two that needed to be ordered from the manufacturer on march 8th and the Liberty Kodiak just made it to the dealer about a week ago or so (I've actually forgotten when he received it already) and I'm still awaiting the AAC Element 2 to arrive at his shop. Even the Kodiak still doesn't have a form 4 filled out.....I just try to pretend that nothing is available for me and it seems to help the time pass more quickly (even though it'll actually take me longer to get things approved)

One day......who knows when though. This is my first real lesson in patience. I've never been good at waiting for things that I want....the ATF has officially put me in my place......haha. It'll make finally shooting one or all of them THAT much sweeter!
I've gotta stop this habit.
bunker168
Silent Operator

Post by bunker168 »

Good advice guys.

BTW OJB4, how long did it take for your 1st suppressor to arrive to your dealer?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Have your dealer call . Form 3's are taking 3to 4eeks for us in Missouri.
Last edited by 66427vette on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazy-mp
Silent Operator

Post by crazy-mp »

I wish mine were only taking 4 weeks fastest one I have had this year was 8 weeks
- - - Show Me Guns - - -
------Lebanon MO------
1mile50
Silent Operator

Post by 1mile50 »

If you have the can SN#, you can submit the F-4, before your SOT even receives the can, if your SOT will sign. Wait a minimum of 4 weeks. I have a Leonidas on order, have submitted the F-4,, check cashed, and it is not finished being built.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

1mile50 wrote:If you have the can SN#, you can submit the F-4, before your SOT even receives the can, if your SOT will sign. Wait a minimum of 4 weeks. I have a Leonidas on order, have submitted the F-4,, check cashed, and it is not finished being built.
Thats pretty risky and crosses legal lines as well.

How can the dealer transfer an item that he doesn't have?

In order to be able to transfer it he has to have it in his bound book because until he does its not his legally nor could he produce it upon request of the ATF.

There are so many things wrong with that statement. I have seen it done and be fine and I have also seen dealer get audited in the meantime and not be able to provide the weapon they are transferring when asked.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

File a freedom of info act request with Eric Holder.
bunker168
Silent Operator

Post by bunker168 »

You know ATF should find a way to accelerate the paperworks. Since our government wants to stimulate the economy this is one way. Our toys are not nickel and dime.

Why not make it easier for people who have previously approved form 4 since its more of the same anyway. The only difference is the item being purchased.

That I don't understand the red tape. I'm sure they realize that wait time has doubled or tripled they should do something about it to streamline the operation They can hire more people (that again will stimulate the ecomnomy).

This is just my 0.02 cents opinion.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

bunker168 wrote:You know ATF should find a way to accelerate the paperworks. Since our government wants to stimulate the economy this is one way. Our toys are not nickel and dime.

Why not make it easier for people who have previously approved form 4 since its more of the same anyway. The only difference is the item being purchased.

That I don't understand the red tape. I'm sure they realize that wait time has doubled or tripled they should do something about it to streamline the operation They can hire more people (that again will stimulate the ecomnomy).

This is just my 0.02 cents opinion.
They could care less how long long the wait is for us. As long as they take your money (which they do as soon as the check is received), why would they be in any sort of rush to get the paperwork approved...
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Wouldn't stimulate the economy much either.
bunker168
Silent Operator

Post by bunker168 »

Well by the fact that our Form 4 is getting longer then it just indicate that there are a lot of pending applications . They are $200 a pop. If they employ more people it would help at least decrease the unemployment in the country. Who knows if the process are faster more people would go into the NFA bandwagon. Every little things help be it a penny or a $200 fee for a slump economy.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

bunker168 wrote:Well by the fact that our Form 4 is getting longer then it just indicate that there are a lot of pending applications . They are $200 a pop. If they employ more people it would help at least decrease the unemployment in the country. Who knows if the process are faster more people would go into the NFA bandwagon. Every little things help be it a penny or a $200 fee for a slump economy.
If only it worked that way.

The $200 transfer fee doesn't even make it into the ATF budget, so it does not help them hire bodies.

Even if they did hire a few it would decrease the unemployment by .00000008 of a percent at BEST(unless I did my math wrong, and if I did remove 1 of the zero's).