Thompson Machine - your thoughts

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Sogno

Thompson Machine - your thoughts

Post by Sogno »

Newbie here. Looking to purchase my first suppressor for my Beretta M9.

TM's ISIS is roughly 1/2 the cost of other suppressors. What's up? Would I be happy with it?
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thompson Machine - your thoughts

Post by quiettime »

They do make nice products that perform very well for the price.

Mostly monocore construction. I personally prefer a baffle stack over monocore but they both have pros and cons.

For the money I don't think you'd be disappointed and they're a pretty reputable company
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Thompson is a solid company, good people

ISIS2 would be better than ISIS if they still differentiate the models

there would still be cans that perform but not at that price
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I have two of their cans. Top notch construction (workmanship, that is), suppression and customer service. That being said, the cans are difficult to take apart...there is not enough (IMHO) clearance between the core and tube. You will need to service any of their take-apart cans more frequently which is a big deal in my opinion. For instance, even though suppression is pretty similar, I use my AAC Ti-Rant way more than my ISIS-2 9mm because I don't have to take it apart every 50 or 100 rounds. It becomes difficult if not impossible to service TM cans after a very low round count in my experience. I put less than 200 rounds of jacketed ammo through my THIRTY and was unable to get it apart with a brass rod and mallet. I'm going to try an ultrasonic cleaner and--as a last resort--"the dip" to get the sucker un-stuck. Be warned, the steel THIRTY is a heavy beast, but there are cans out there from YHM and others that are the same weight or more.

Given all that, I think the ISIS-2 is a great can, especially as your first (it was the first can I bought). It will do a lot (I have used mine with 22LR on rifle and pistol, 9mm rifle and pistol, and sub-sonic 300 BLK on a 12.5" SBR), is light weight, and as long as you service it regularly I think you will be happy. If you are on a budget or just looking for a good beater can I think it would be a great choice.

Edited for typo.
sundazes

Post by sundazes »

I have an ISIS2 an enjoy shooting with it. I have never had an issue taking it apart for cleaning. I do use anti seize on the threads. I do not shoot 22 through. I have a couple TM cans and I am happy with them for the price. I have a Wasp in jail.
The Isis2 get as much use as my Octane.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

How do you clean the ISIS 2? I use a nylon bottle brush (fairly stiff bristles) on the tube and a toothbrush on the core, both with isopropyl alcohol. I don't use anti-seize on anything on the ISIS 2 but I thinly coat the core on the THIRTY with high-temp nuclear grade never-seez (this stuff).
bluenuts

Post by bluenuts »

I have the Isis 2 in .45
I do like this suppressor but it has its downfalls as everyone has stated above.
It does need maintenanced more frequently to keep the core from seizing but it do like the thread less tube design.
I typically use it on a 5" 9mm AR with a Gemtech three lug adapter.
The three lug also has to be kept clean for ease of spring movement for removal.

I cannot get this can to run on a Glock 17. It has never cycled the gun using a TM booster or a Gemtech booster. Doesn't matter much as I primarily use it on a 9mm & 300blk SBR setup.