What's the consensus on colt 1911-22?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

sukhoi
Silent But Deadly

What's the consensus on colt 1911-22?

Post by sukhoi »

Ive been looking for my first .22 pistol for awhile and dare i say i am not much a fan for rugers, they just look too goofy, and thought a 1911-22 would do.
I see mostly conflicting information or that most are just poorly made(chiappa etc) Does colt have better material than the gsg? I realize umarex and walther are involved with colt and wondered how that affected quality? P22's jam but thats better than a gsg kB. I would rather have the colt over the gsg but if both are pot metal then the ruger might have to grow on me.
Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: What's the consensus on colt 1911-22?

Post by Emilio »

Umarex. :x

Let it grow. :lol:

Maybe look into the marvel, the only 22 conversion worth a crap IMO. ( never try suppressed though , but the bones are there.)
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
sukhoi
Silent But Deadly

Post by sukhoi »

I thought that it was walther producing and umarex importing yeah?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

sukhoi wrote:Ive been looking for my first .22 pistol for awhile and dare i say i am not much a fan for rugers, they just look too goofy, and thought a 1911-22 would do.
I see mostly conflicting information or that most are just poorly made(chiappa etc) Does colt have better material than the gsg? I realize umarex and walther are involved with colt and wondered how that affected quality? P22's jam but thats better than a gsg kB. I would rather have the colt over the gsg but if both are pot metal then the ruger might have to grow on me.
In prehistoric times ( circa 1960's ) with cash limited I became intrigued with obtaining a .22 Colt conversion kit.
After borrowing my buddy's rig and putting it on my 1911 A1 for a while I came to a wonderful realization:

"Buy the Smith & Wesson M41". :)

At least for me the M41, whose ergonomics were based on the 1911 A1, made switching
back and forth to .45 at the range natural and transparent.

For historical information, the gun designer Paul Girigosian designed the "Spartan Super Seven",
a multi-caliber system on the same frame. Its uniqueness made it a collectable but other than
that in extremum I would rather get a .22 conversion kit for the Barrett .50. :) :)
<< http://www.backcountryjournal.com/psmg.htm >>
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

sukhoi wrote:I thought that it was walther producing and umarex importing yeah?
Read the fine print under " quality makes it a Colt". :lol: http://www.colt22rimfire.com/

ever look inside the Colt Ar-22 ? :mrgreen:

Run Forest,,,run! :lol:
sukhoi
Silent But Deadly

Post by sukhoi »

Yeah i stayed far away from that "colt" ar.22 and went with an mp1522 MOE. Guess i will have to look around some more huh? Sucks no one makes a reasonable dedicated 1911-22.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Kimber rimfire. You're going to pay some coin to get it, but it puts out big time.
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

TROOPER wrote:Kimber rimfire. You're going to pay some coin to get it, but it puts out big time.
Trooper you read my mind, those Kimbers look great.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

TROOPER wrote:Kimber rimfire. You're going to pay some coin to get it, but it puts out big time.
Not so fast! One amigo give up on his, another has his sent back 3 times and they finally replace the slide, still needs to test the new parts.

No one master the 1911-22 but the Marvel slide moves at the rear like the S&W 41 and CZ.

Easy way is to get the ugly Ruger 22/45 pre-III and be done with it. :mrgreen:
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I've got a Colt 22 but can't tell you crap about it. My dad bought it a while back when on a gun buying spree. We've never shot the thing. Feels solid from what I remember. Can anybody shed any light on what it is I've got exactly? If I can figure out how to load pictures I'll post a pic of it.

Nope....my attempt to add a picture was futile.....oh well. Not important anyways. You guys have a stock photo loaded into your internal memory banks anyways
I've gotta stop this habit.
Perry296

Post by Perry296 »

Sig makes a 1911 22lr it is has a reasonable price and it also comes with a threaded barrel
dane421
Silent But Deadly

Post by dane421 »

The sig is made by gsg both of them are nice

Sig 1911-22
Gsg 1911-22
sukhoi
Silent But Deadly

Post by sukhoi »

Gsg and sig mags are expensive im reading and gsg's CS and kaboom issues have me on edge with them lol.
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

Kimber all the way. Send the barrel to Tornado for 1/2x28 and you will be a happy camper.

After I got my Kimber rimfire kit I sold the Mosquito because I just never even thought about it again. It has never had a failure of any kind!
sukhoi
Silent But Deadly

Post by sukhoi »

I see that browning offers one too but the 22/45 has been slowly winning me over. Can the 22/45 Lite be fitted w/ picatinny rails?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

sukhoi wrote:I see that browning offers one too but the 22/45 has been slowly winning me over. Can the 22/45 Lite be fitted w/ picatinny rails?
Avoid the lite, Barrel adapter issues. You can tap a mount on any heavy barrel like >>> a PRE III. <<<< :roll:
3gunplay

Post by 3gunplay »

I have had a Tac Sol and a Ciner. Neither of them were reliable with bulk ammo. I now have a Marvel designed STI conversion and it works great even with the federal bulk ammo. The only issue with it is the slide profile is a little off for working with a 1911 kydex holster and it is a little hard for the kids to manipulate the slide because of the design.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

I have over 1K rds thru my GSG that i bought less than 6 months ago. I have had zero problems with it. I have used expensive and cheap ammo, so far six different manufactures and it has taken them all without complaint. I bought 2 extra mags when i got the pistol, i think i paid $26 each. Not cheap but when you have two young ones yearning to burn up ammo it pays to be prepaired. I have also NOT cleaned the pistol at all since the inital cleaning i did when it came out of the box. So, it dont matter if its dirty or not.
Blackhorse Scout
MrFixIt7

Post by MrFixIt7 »

I'll add another + for the GSG. For the price I've been mostly happy with mine. I would recommend ordering the aluminum full length guide rod for it. If you shoot a lot you're more than likely going to break the plastic one. The action overall seems to smooth out as well once I installed it.

Also assuming you're shooting suppressed the only subsonic ammo I seem to get it to reliable cycle with is Remington(using an AAC pilot). All the others I've tried don't seem to have enough umph to bring back the hammer fully.
heretic_65

Post by heretic_65 »

They never worked for me some of them cost more that a whole gun, get the Ruger or P22 you will be glad you did. Next get the SS Sparrow, more fun than Democrats in a barrel.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

My GSG work perfect Suppressed but lasting was the issue.

The Rugers (II's) outlast them ALL as range rentals.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I don't question the longevity of a Ruger MK II, but I do know there is no plastic on my Beretta 87 Cheetah. I don't think there is Aluminum, or Zinc either. It appears to be all stainless.... except the panel grips which are wood. I expect this gun to last a very, very long time.

I specifically purchased the Beretta 87 Cheetah over the Kimber Rimfire, even though (having not shot one) I prefer the Kimber Rimfire... only because I was concerned about the Kimber's barrel length; I worried about cheap, bulk-pack 22 going super-sonic out of the 5+ inch barrel. I call it 5+ inch because with the silencer attached, it might be pushing the boundaries of keeping bulk-pack subsonic.

That said, I haven't heard that this is a problem from the two-or-three suppressed Kimber owners here. I do wonder if I made the right decision... but then that Beretta works so well, its hard to imagine true improvement over it. I'm sure it would have been a styling difference more than anything else.

To the OP... when you go to buy your 22 pistol, really put out the big bucks... the reason why is simple; its going to be the gun you shoot the most. Make it as enjoyable as possible. Not knocking on the GSG at all, but do yourself a favor and look past some of the very, very inexpensive, disposable 22 guns.
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

With the Kimber rinfire kit, I use the Federal Automatch bulk pack and it is not supersonic through the Spectre. Never had an issue with the gun or the ammo. The threaded barrel extension used by Tornado Tech adds about .5" to the overall length but does not push the ammo supersonic.