stuck together can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

AkGun&ammo
Senior Silent Operator

stuck together can

Post by AkGun&ammo »

Well, I thought loosening after each shooting and cleaning as ssoon as poosible after would keep my can easy to come apart and reassemble. Also use anti0-sieze on the threads,
shot about 100 rds of 22lr CCI subsonics, I loosened the end caps and retightened after last session, but now I can't seem to get the thing apart. :oops: Broke two pegs off disassy tool, and now wondering if something I can soak it in to help me get apart.
Since aluminum don't think the dip will help me here.

Any thoughts? or should I consider sending back to Gemtech?

Chris
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: stuck together can

Post by Historian »

I once used a very old machinist's trick of soaking in transmission
fluid. Soaked in and loosened things.

But I am surprised that even with Permatex Anti-seize your
cap got stuck.

What did you use to clean the can? If the cleaner had ammonia that might
explain it. Or, even worse, cross threading.

How may foot pounds did you torque down with? :)

Good luck.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Kroil works very well. Much like the ATF trick only it has more potintial to "creep" than the ATF.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

This was the general pattern I followed to open my stuck mite each time - soak in kroil, freeze in kroil, let come back to room temperature, freeze again overnight, room temp, freeze, heat it with torch to warmish, freeze it, chuck up endcap tool in vice, heat outside real quick with torch then use strap wrench to muscle through it.

100 rounds of cci shouldn't do that though, especially not break pins.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

My Mite would sieze up to solid in around 100 rounds, but what pins are you talking about breaking? Did they change the core design from the huge hex nut?
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

jt526 wrote:This was the general pattern I followed to open my stuck mite each time - soak in kroil, freeze in kroil, let come back to room temperature, freeze again overnight, room temp, freeze, heat it with torch to warmish, freeze it, chuck up endcap tool in vice, heat outside real quick with torch then use strap wrench to muscle through it.
This should be a shining example of what should not be required after buying a new suppressor. Holy cow! So after 100rds, it takes 2 days and a map with a legend, lighted compass, wrench, vice, torch, and some BC powder for your troubles. If i had not decided that user serviceablilty was the PRIMARY FOCUS of my "buying" decision before... it sure as heck is now. What a PITA that would be every time! :shock:
Blackhorse Scout
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

This should be a shining example of what should not be required after buying a new suppressor. Holy cow! So after 100rds, it takes 2 days and a map with a legend, lighted compass, wrench, vice, torch, and some BC powder for your troubles. If i had not decided that user serviceablilty was the PRIMARY FOCUS of my "buying" decision before... it sure as heck is now. What a PITA that would be every time! :shock:[/quote]

Don't forget a sound proof room so that all the screaming and cussing don't land you with the neighbors calling the police and getting charged with everything in the book!!!! When my first cans finally come in I hope I never end up with this kind of trouble....otherwise I swear I'll let them rot in the safe before I spend that much time on them....or just shoot them until they fill up and THEN let them rot in the safe.

Tell me I shouldn't have this kind of trouble with the Kodiak TL, Element 2, or Spectre II's that I ordered? I'd hate to get addicted to NFA before I receive my first silencer to have an experience like this.
I've gotta stop this habit.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

OJB4 wrote:This should be a shining example of what should not be required after buying a new suppressor. Holy cow! So after 100rds, it takes 2 days and a map with a legend, lighted compass, wrench, vice, torch, and some BC powder for your troubles. If i had not decided that user serviceablilty was the PRIMARY FOCUS of my "buying" decision before... it sure as heck is now. What a PITA that would be every time! :shock:

Don't forget a sound proof room so that all the screaming and cussing don't land you with the neighbors calling the police and getting charged with everything in the book!!!! When my first cans finally come in I hope I never end up with this kind of trouble....otherwise I swear I'll let them rot in the safe before I spend that much time on them....or just shoot them until they fill up and THEN let them rot in the safe.

Tell me I shouldn't have this kind of trouble with the Kodiak TL, Element 2, or Spectre II's that I ordered? I'd hate to get addicted to NFA before I receive my first silencer to have an experience like this.[/quote]

The Element and Spectre you won't be cursing at since they are baffle stacks, the Kodiak is where you will see issues due to it being a monocore.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

DAMN.....that's the one that I actually get to mail out the Form 4 for in the next week or two......signed it yesterday and sent it back to the dealer!!! Hope the Spectre's come in soon and I've almost lost hope on the Element 2 coming in.....don't know what the hold up is on getting that one. I think the dealer ordered it from AAC directly...guess they had to wait on a production run. Wish he woulda found it elsewhere
I've gotta stop this habit.