Getting a Rimfire can in three days

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

msup752

Getting a Rimfire can in three days

Post by msup752 »

I'm off to the nearest class 3 dealer an hour away on Monday. They have several in stock and I like many of them but with so many to choose from, now I have to make a choice. My options for in stock cans are (in order of most expensive to least expensive):

AAC Element
Silencerco Sparrow SS
SWR Spectre II
Tactical Solutions Cascade
SWR Warlock II

The AAC is a whopping $600, Sparrow $450, Spectre II $350 and the last two are $250.

I plan on using this for a 10/22 and some kind of pistol (I currently have a Buckmark) with a bolt 22 in the future. I also have a 17 HMR that i may have threaded just for the heck of it.

Stainless sounds easier to clean but is more expensive. The Sparrow seems easiest to clean and is shorter than SWR's offerings but has FRP problems and it is more expensive.

What would you get if you were me? I have the funds to get any of them but spare funds would be used for a 300 blk build or 30 cal can.
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Re: Getting a Rimfire can in three days

Post by gunningbadger »

I have the sparrow and like it. I have no FRP problems on a rifle. But I'd be tempted to go with the Spectre 2 as I've heard good things
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

I also have an SS sparrow and love it. There is no frp on rifle hosts and very little on pistol hosts. From your choices I'd choose either the Sparrow or Spectre II. They're both great suppressors and are easy to clean. Another thing that matters a lot to me is the manufacturer. And imo, Silencerco/SWR is the best in the biz with unmatched customer service.
Last edited by Flipz on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Your dealer has strange pricing. They want way to much for the Element, it even cheaper this year.

Anyway, i would get the Spectre II for the price, easy cleaning, GREAT service, and no FRP.

If they asked less for the Sparrow ( and they should by $25+) that would be another good choice. Also easy cleaning and good service and most quiet on rifles.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Those prices are a bit off.

I would get the Spectre2 of all of them. Yes its 100 more than the Tactical Solutions and Warlock but you won't regret the up charge when you clean it the first time.
msup752

Post by msup752 »

Suppressors have been legal here since last September. I'm still waiting on the tax stamp for my first can (9mm). The dealer charges $75 for transfers so their prices are the same, for the most part, as ordering one myself and having them do the transfer.
There are few class 3 dealers as of yet so all I have talked to are selling at MSRP here and these prices are a bit below that so I'm actually happy about the prices!

So now I've narrowed it down to the Sparrow or Spectre from those comments. The Spectre seems to be slightly harder to disassemble and it a bit longer than the sparrow but $100 cheaper. Both seem to have similar performance on suppression.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Your title is misleading.......
You may be purchasing one in three days,
but you will "be getting one" in about six to nine months... :lol:
msup752

Post by msup752 »

Details!

I will be getting it, I just can't take it home until my paperwork sits on a desk for six months before someone looks at it and puts a stamp and signature on it.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

What state? You could find a dealer who has in stock and no extra charges.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
msup752

Post by msup752 »

I just got back from the class 3 dealer. I bought a Sparrow after messing with both the Sparrow and Spectre II. The dealer was quite busy so I didn't spend a lot of time on them but I couldn't figure out how to get the guts out of the Sparrow while the Spectre II came apart easily. The price did not change but I was offered $25 more for my pistol I was trading in if I got the Sparrow. The weight and length difference sealed the deal! Now for the paperwork (to Trust or not to Trust!) and a long wait.
I also visited my 9mm AAC can that has been waiting 6 months for a stamp. It is HUGE compared to the Sparrow!
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

msup752 wrote:I just got back from the class 3 dealer. I bought a Sparrow after messing with both the Sparrow and Spectre II. The dealer was quite busy so I didn't spend a lot of time on them but I couldn't figure out how to get the guts out of the Sparrow while the Spectre II came apart easily. The price did not change but I was offered $25 more for my pistol I was trading in if I got the Sparrow. The weight and length difference sealed the deal! Now for the paperwork (to Trust or not to Trust!) and a long wait.
I also visited my 9mm AAC can that has been waiting 6 months for a stamp. It is HUGE compared to the Sparrow!
Get a trust it is easy and reduces paperwork also makes leaving them to kids, grand kids other easy plus all co owners can play without you there. Once you buy the first one that is it your going to want more don't bother trying to fight it. Find a good local gunsmith or machinist who can thread all your firearms. While your waiting for your first one here stock up on ammo and new firearms to mount it on.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I'm going Trust since the local CLEO refuses to sign off. However from what I understand when my grandkids get the suppressor then they'll have to pay the $200 tax again on all of them since the trust dissolves when I die (at least that's what it's like in Louisiana). I've heard that if you buy it through your name then you can leave it in your will without the recipient having to pay the tax since they are receiving the item via an act of following the law (carrying out the deceased persons will).....I'm assuming that they can in turn leave it to somebody in their will without having to pay the tax.......I'm still new to NFA but that was my understanding.

Good luck making your decision. I see the pros and cons of both, but went with what I had to do to get my toys. My grandkids will just have to deal with paying the $200 tax if they want my NFA toys. I'm sure they'll likely be outdated by then and might only want them for personal reasons.....or they can give em back to the ATF for all I care. As long as I get to play with em I'll be a happy man.
I've gotta stop this habit.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

OJB4 wrote:I'm going Trust since the local CLEO refuses to sign off. However from what I understand when my grandkids get the suppressor then they'll have to pay the $200 tax again on all of them since the trust dissolves when I die (at least that's what it's like in Louisiana). I've heard that if you buy it through your name then you can leave it in your will without the recipient having to pay the tax since they are receiving the item via an act of following the law (carrying out the deceased persons will).....I'm assuming that they can in turn leave it to somebody in their will without having to pay the tax.......I'm still new to NFA but that was my understanding.

Good luck making your decision. I see the pros and cons of both, but went with what I had to do to get my toys. My grandkids will just have to deal with paying the $200 tax if they want my NFA toys. I'm sure they'll likely be outdated by then and might only want them for personal reasons.....or they can give em back to the ATF for all I care. As long as I get to play with em I'll be a happy man.
When you pass away it will transfer to them according to the trust and SHOULD transfer on a tax-free Form5, since the trust is actually being executed. Thats a FED thing has nothing to do with what State you are in.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

When you pass away it will transfer to them according to the trust and SHOULD transfer on a tax-free Form5, since the trust is actually being executed. Thats a FED thing has nothing to do with what State you are in.[/quote]

Correct....it passes to my beneficiaries tax free when I die. I was trying to convey that the NFA toys don't pass to my grandchildren tax free (assuming my kids leave the toys to their kids) since my trust no longer exists at the time of their death and the items will need to be transferred into the possession of another trust or individual, requiring the $200 tax again. I've heard that some states can set up a trust so that it continues to exist indefinitely but that can't be done in Louisiana due to state laws. (I can't confirm or deny if this is true since I didn't research other states laws on trusts.)
I've gotta stop this habit.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

OJB4 wrote:When you pass away it will transfer to them according to the trust and SHOULD transfer on a tax-free Form5, since the trust is actually being executed. Thats a FED thing has nothing to do with what State you are in.
Correct....it passes to my beneficiaries tax free when I die. I was trying to convey that the NFA toys don't pass to my grandchildren tax free (assuming my kids leave the toys to their kids) since my trust no longer exists at the time of their death and the items will need to be transferred into the possession of another trust or individual, requiring the $200 tax again. I've heard that some states can set up a trust so that it continues to exist indefinitely but that can't be done in Louisiana due to state laws. (I can't confirm or deny if this is true since I didn't research other states laws on trusts.)[/quote]

So am i reading it right that the grandkids are NOT the beneficiaries?
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I'm an Estate Planning and Tax attorney in Arkansas. Bender, you're dead on.... except for the Napoleonic Code in LA part. I have turned down EP jobs that include significant assets in LA. Easiest way for an attorney in a state bordering LA to call the malpractice carrier- deal with something in LA. I have no idea what they're thinking.
msup752

Post by msup752 »

I paid for a Sparrow SS. The other choice, a Spectre II, was going to be longer and heavier. When I actually had both of them in my hands at the same time (took a little convincing as their rules permit only one demo gun out per customer at a time), the difference in those relatively small cans was very noticeable. I also got a lot more $ for my pistol that I traded in which made the cost difference less painful.

I have trust paperwork drawn up and sitting here in front of me. I just need to convince my wife it is worth her time to meet me at the bank a block from her job to sign in front of the notary. She allows my shooting hobby but does not support it so a 22 suppressor is not important to her. I might have to edit the Schedules as some have given stories of them being rejected because they do not have the trust name on each page.

My first can, an AAC in 9mm, is still pending since mid to late February and I'm getting antsy now that it could show up any day.
alasdair.b

Post by alasdair.b »

In Britain it's very strange: air weapons- no need for anything ( even if it can be used on a rim fire )
: rim fire - need permission to obtain / possess
: centre fire - need good reason ( ie :hunting ) , permission to obtain / possess
: custom made to be silent ( Delisle type ) no permission needed
that is , if you can get a Firearms certificate
i have a Parker Hale Silencer for my .22 rimfire and a .45 acp Delisle copy.
Because i have permission to obtain / possess a silencer for the .22 i could chop and change what one i own / use wthout any need to pay any fees-- just the cost of the silencer itself- any where from $ 30 up
then again we have some of the most restricted gun laws in the " Free World " here : No Pistols No centre fire semi-automatic rifles , No full auto ANYTHING
i just love visiting my friends in Arizona, where i can use my pistols, shorty shot guns and my AR 10