Possible Front Cap Strike

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Possible Front Cap Strike

Post by Tango2249 »

I went to the range today and after the first couple of shots, I noticed a small rub mark on the inside of the front cap (sort of a small scuff that took a small amount of the finish off).

I was shooting a Spectre on a Buck Mark w/ Tac-Sol threaded 4" Trail Lite barrel. The ammo was CCi SV.

I disassembled the suppressor, and all of the baffles looked fine. I then ran about 400 rounds with my 10/22 with Tac-Sol SBX barrel also with the Spectre. I had no problems at all and everything looks fine inside the suppressor.

Sould any part of the bullet made contact with the inside of the front cap? I already contacted Tac-Sol just to be safe and they are should be sending me a new barrel after they receive my old one. What are your thoughts? There was no deformation to the front cap.

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Re: Possible Front Cap Strike

Post by J Krammes »

Bad round/fluke... That should not happen. How many rounds do you have through the Buckmark?
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

J Krammes wrote:Bad round/fluke... That should not happen. How many rounds do you have through the Buckmark?
I have about 250 unsuppressed rounds through the Trail Lite barrel. I would have thought there would be more damage to the front cap if it was a strike. Is it possible to have a front cap strike without having any baffle strikes?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
u52
Silent Operator

Post by u52 »

Yes, it is totally possible to have an endcap strike without baffle strike. I had it happen in my Ranger 2 with XM193 factory ammo. I was told the same thing, bad round and that it "just happens". I had damage from mine and AAC fixed it for free since they are awesome. Good luck!
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

I had the same on a can that I made a while back and it gave exactly the same as your photo, it just showed light scuff.

Turned out the thread on the muzzle was no quite right so I cut the read myself and is worked just fine.

As to hitting the cap and not baffles, well that is the furthest point so this will show inacuracy more than any other part, i.e. if the can is not aligned to the bore the error gets worse in proportion to the length.
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

I've seen this on my buddy's TiRant 45 can. Just happens with a wonky round.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

The same problem occurred on another Front Cap so it's more than likely due to a problem with the barrel. I am sending the barrel back to Tac-Sol for a new one.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

that's not a strike, that's barely a kiss.

.22LR is hardly a consistent or precise round, unless that damage was worse or repeated, I'd chalk it up to a bad round and carry on.

No matter what your can or setup, you are bound to get small nicks and chips over time. It's definitely possible to get an endcap strike with no baffle strikes and also possible to get baffle strike(s) with no endcap strike... That's a doozy.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy