Considering a Warlock II (Updated w/ Vid)

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Micah

Considering a Warlock II (Updated w/ Vid)

Post by Micah »

A dealer near me has a SWR Warlock II in stock for $260 including transfer, and as Monday is my payday I could seal the deal pretty soon. I was looking at getting an AAC Prodigy, but the Warlock looks attractive at half the cost and the same purported performance and overall weight. Chances are that this suppressor would see little use, as I'm not much of a rimfire guy, but I do have a Beretta 21a and a Savage MkII which would serve as hosts.

Anyone have opinions or experience with the Warlock II? Is $260 a decent price or should I try to talk some off? Some browsing made it look like $280+ was the norm.

Also, what ammo do you run in your suppressed, short rimfire pistols? CCI Mini Mags and Stingers are the only loads my 21a seems to function with reliably.

ETA: Updated with vid in new post.
Last edited by Micah on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You forget, because you're so busy going from A to Z, that there's 24 letters in between." - Grace Slick

+ AAC SCAR-H SD +SWR Warlock II
+ AAC SPR/M4
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: Considering a Warlock II

Post by Emilio »

Stingers go to fast and will make a sonic crack even in a pistol.

Mini mags are ok but cost more $$ , lots of 22 out there to try and a suppressor will give more blowback making your Beretta less picky. (so try ammo again.)

The Savage will need standard vel to stay sub sonic. They like CCI standard vel . :D

SWR is a GREAT company! I no like aluminum guts ( for cleaning) but you want light so OK.

Once you shoot 22 suppressed you will shoot it much more. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

I just bought a Warlock II from my local dealer. It will probably be Christmas before I can give a review of it. :|

I was impressed with its weight. Screwed onto the end of my 22/45 Lite, I could barely tell that it was there. The weight, coupled with my previous experience with SWR products sold me on it.

I say buy it. I doubt that you will find a better can for the price.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
Micah

Post by Micah »

Emilio, thanks for the reply.

Hopefully a can will indeed make the 21a a little less finicky. I didn't think of that possibility.

How often do suppressors like the Warlock need to be cleaned? I'm aware that it's not the same situation as with my centerfire cans, but I'm also under the impression that one range trip doesn't necessarily equal one cleaning with a rimfire one. I know I can't do the dip with aluminium, and hence the Warlock, but I'm under the impression that the Warlock 2 is user-serviceable. I figure acetone will help with anything vigorous scrubbing with a copper wire brush wont resolve by itself, no? My browsing has shown that many have gone with stainless steel options for cleaning purposes, and perhaps I just haven't acquired the experience to understand in this context.

Is there an alternative that you'd recommend which is comparable in terms of both performance and price? The weight is somewhat an issue, mostly because of how tiny the 21a is, but I'm not irrevocably set on the Warlock. I'd probably lean towards something beefier if I shot rimfire as much as others, but that's just not my present paradigm.

Perhaps I will end up shooting my .22's more. I've heard some really quiet integrals, and they still haven't won me over. I'm sure that this investment will lead to enjoyable outcomes though :)

DesertRat,

If I may ask, what did you end up having to pay for yours? The price available to me is a motivating factor for my eyeing the Warlock in particular.

Hopefully you can shoot it while it's still under your dealer's roof. Luckily, the guy with the one I'm looking at has pistol lanes as part of his store.
"You forget, because you're so busy going from A to Z, that there's 24 letters in between." - Grace Slick

+ AAC SPR/M4
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

The beauty of the Warlock is the baffles keep the tube clean, so you can go many more rounds and get it apart easy. :D

Here is the SWR cleaning vid.
http://youtu.be/CvDtYAaiTtU

When real bad you can soda blast with a home made blaster or glass bead at very low pressure. Should be fine if you clean often. :D

I think the 21A will like more ammo once quiet and so will you! :D
Micah

Post by Micah »

I ended up purchasing the Warlock II and starting the process. The thing is light, and the snap together baffles reminded me of legos, and felt strangely similar. While I was impressed with the features and performance claims, compared to what I own I'm not fully confident about it's durability; I'm sure that such apprehensions will fade once I actually get to use it for a while. I've heard SWR has excellent service, and I'm taking some mental comfort in that.

Once I get a threaded barrel for the 21A I'll run some rounds through it at the range where it's being held.

FWIW, the Warlock II felt noticeably lighter than a Gemtech Outback IID which was also for sale. I'm not sure which weight quote is mistaken, or if somehow that extra inch did that much to the perception of gravity, but there was a tangible difference for me.

Emilio,

Thanks for the video link! I was searching around, but entirely forgot to check SWR's YouTube channel. I must have tried every search query except those that linked to it >.<

+ AAC SPR/M4
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

You will love the new baffles! They upgraded by Octane 9 for free in two weeks to my door and it such a nice suppressor and the easiest 9mm can to clean. They have great service so don't worry!

Keep us posted on the Warlock and 21A, bring many ammo to try all over again. :D
Kenny_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kenny_SilencerCo »

Micah wrote:A dealer near me has a SWR Warlock II in stock for $260 including transfer, and as Monday is my payday I could seal the deal pretty soon. I was looking at getting an AAC Prodigy, but the Warlock looks attractive at half the cost and the same purported performance and overall weight. Chances are that this suppressor would see little use, as I'm not much of a rimfire guy, but I do have a Beretta 21a and a Savage MkII which would serve as hosts.

Anyone have opinions or experience with the Warlock II? Is $260 a decent price or should I try to talk some off? Some browsing made it look like $280+ was the norm.

Also, what ammo do you run in your suppressed, short rimfire pistols? CCI Mini Mags and Stingers are the only loads my 21a seems to function with reliably.

Thanks for your interest in SWR.

Please check out the SWR YouTube channel. We have sound testing videos and cleaning videos on the SWR Warlock II. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp
Kenny Bozich

SILENCERCO
Social Media Director
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
5511 South 6055 West
West Valley City, UT 84118

(801) 417-5384 o
(801) 417-5002 f
Micah

Re: Considering a Warlock II (Updated w/ Vid)

Post by Micah »

I ran a few hundred rounds through the Warlock II and my 21A on visitation today.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmPBwDmsfpg

Kenny,

Thanks for the info, and as you can see I went with the Warlock II. I'm thoroughly impressed with it, even on my perhaps sub-standard host. It's extremely enjoyable, and the suppression is as top notch as I can discern within the context I was able to shoot it in.

+ AAC SPR/M4
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: Considering a Warlock II (Updated w/ Vid)

Post by Emilio »

Thanks for the vid and report. Looks like a light package. :D SWR is great!