First Suppressor a Disappointment

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

yeltnarb

First Suppressor a Disappointment

Post by yeltnarb »

I'm a newbie, OK? So, I probably expected too much from the CAN I bought to suppress .22 up through Hornet. I had two LR, one MAG and two Hornets sent for threading. I picked up the first three and rushed home to try them out. I was shocked at how LOUD they were. I called the shop and put a 'stop work' on the two Hornets.

I used standard .22 LR and .22 MAG ammo, and expected to do the same with the Hornets. Is this wrong? Should I have used Sub-Sonic (which I assumed were short range, wimpy 400 fps rounds. Rock are silent, too, you know). I would estimate the report to have been reduced by maybe half, but enough to send my dog running. I do not want to name the manufacturer at this point since it is probably "my bad", but I am heart sick after investing $800 and driving nearly three trips (600 plus miles) to deliver and pick up the barrels. The rifles were Remington 597's, and an old Mossberg Model 51...all autoloaders.

I would appreciate all comments, even the insulting ones. Thanks
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Re: First Suppressor a Disappointment

Post by poizzin »

Not sure if this helps but a good can will make is fairly quiet , even with standard ammo, there are a few variables also, if you were shooting towards woods or water it will seem louder. Shoot over an open field with and without the can you should her a mjor differance, if not something is not right.

Who is the manufacture of this particuler can you are talking about?
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1
yeltnarb

Post by yeltnarb »

Actually, I was shooting from a covered gazebo and over water. Still, all three rifles were unacceptably loud. I shot some CB rounds in both .22 LRs and they were quiet, slow to impact and failed to eject. I cannot think of anything one can do to 22 Magnum ammo to reduce the fps. Hornets I can "download", but why bother if you're only going to get 1,000 fps or so? I mean 40 grains is 40 grains at the same speed, so the LR would deliver the same impact, no? I still am not ready to disclose the manufacturer as they have not had a chance to reply to my customer service email and it is most likely over expectation on my part. Maybe I watched too much military channel :)))
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

If you are using 22 mag it will always make a crack when it goes off. No suppressor will stop a sonic boom. My first can was for a centerfire rifle and although it does a wonderful job suppressing the gunshot you can still hear the sonic crack from 200 yards away. I'm now waiting in my 22lr suppressor here is a link to it with me shooting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj_nd7kn ... ata_player

Run some subs through the 22 and see how it sounds.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

CCI standard vel 22LR should be plenty quiet. 22mag and Hornet will be loud from sonic crack and even louder in a semi auto where noise comes out the bolt.

Still should be better than no can. ( on your ears)

General rule for hitting power is go big/heavy to make up for speed. This is no help for hornet or 22 mag.

Name the suppressor! Maybe you have baffle stack backwards or something.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Post some pics of the suppressors, better yet the baffles stack.
That will let those with the knowledge here better help you with what you've got.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

This is not a critcism, but I think you went into this not understanding the basics of what a suppressor can and cannot do. It happens, especially if your only knowledge of suppressors comes from Hollywood movies, especailly the "B" kind like the movie "HITMAN".

FYI discharging a supersonic 22LR through a can ie suppressor will be just as loud as without the can. As mentioned you will have the supersonic crack which cannot be eliminated when using supersonic rounds. The speed of sound can vary depending on temperature, altitude etc.

Pick up some standard velocity CCI LR or subonic rounds and you will or should see a huge difference. This of course assumes that the suppressor you have is made with minimum standards. A 22 is usually pretty easy to suppress.

Pick up Al Paulson's book on Silencers Volume 1 available on Amazon and after reading it you will rally have a better understanding suppressors, sound etc.
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

Your hosts are all rifles so the CCI Standard may not be subsonic. Try using CCI Subsonic ammo. If that doesn't make a difference then you know it's not the sonic crack.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Like the guys say you will not stop the sonic crack but a can should be very quiet with subs

This one I built runnings CCI subs, it is not much louder on a handgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJu5XZGh ... e=youtu.be

Yea I know the video is crap but Spielburg is not too good at making cans so I heard :mrgreen:
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I'll second trying CCI Standard Velocity for the .22LR. It is subsonic, but just barely. IIRC, from a 16" barrel it's around 1050 fps. You get the maximum velocity you can get with good, quiet, sound. If you have a longer barrel and still get sonic crack with the standard velocity, it might be best to try CCI subsonic, which is only a few FPS slower. With the right ammo, your .22 rifle will sound like a pellet gun! Try shooting over solid ground as well. Water does reflect more bullet flight sound back at you. Try having someone else fire the rifle while you stand a little distance away.

Also, if your auto-loading .22 has a reciprocating bolt knob/handle, etc, try holding the bolt shut with your thumb while firing, and then loading the next round manually. I've done this on a Ruger 10/22- it works quite well to eliminate port/action noise. Using subsonic ammo in the dirt pit I was in while holding the bolt handle shut, all I could hear was the "click" of the firing pin and the "thwap!" of the round impacting clay.

Don't fret! It seems most likely to me that your main issue is just having fired ammo that was breaking the sound barrier.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

CThomas wrote:This is not a critcism, but I think you went into this not understanding the basics of what a suppressor can and cannot do. It happens, especially if your only knowledge of suppressors comes from Hollywood movies, especailly the "B" kind like the movie "HITMAN".

FYI discharging a supersonic 22LR through a can ie suppressor will be just as loud as without the can. As mentioned you will have the supersonic crack which cannot be eliminated when using supersonic rounds. The speed of sound can vary depending on temperature, altitude etc.

Pick up some standard velocity CCI LR or subonic rounds and you will or should see a huge difference. This of course assumes that the suppressor you have is made with minimum standards. A 22 is usually pretty easy to suppress.

Pick up Al Paulson's book on Silencers Volume 1 available on Amazon and after reading it you will rally have a better understanding suppressors, sound etc.

This sounds like the case.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Enfield577 wrote:Like the guys say you will not stop the sonic crack but a can should be very quiet with subs

This one I built runnings CCI subs, it is not much louder on a handgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJu5XZGh ... e=youtu.be

Yea I know the video is crap but Spielburg is not too good at making cans so I heard :mrgreen:
+1

On the contrary, Sir, you have nothing to be embarrassed about, 'Mr. Hitchcock';
Added is your kindly including in the background the lush verdure to brighten up our day.

You say that you have eight K's over six inches ... what is the length of your expansion chamber?

Best.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JasonM wrote:
CThomas wrote:This is not a critcism, but I think you went into this not understanding the basics of what a suppressor can and cannot do. It happens, especially if your only knowledge of suppressors comes from Hollywood movies, especailly the "B" kind like the movie "HITMAN".

This sounds like the case.
That is my thoughts as well.
yeltnarb

Post by yeltnarb »

Well, guys, I've done a couple of things; first, I looked at the baffle arrangement as it came out of the can. I noted that there is a single "hole" in each, and that all holes were aligned with each other. I put them back in rotating each by 90 degrees from the preceeding baffle. I got out from under the gazebo and moved to an open range which did not impact water nor use woods as a buffer. The results were much better. The CBs had almost no noise, including no sound barrier crack. I have order 1,000 rounds of sub sonic from CTDirt and, with this new information you all have provided, think I expected too much, but got what I should have anticipated. The suppressor is a Kestrel, five baffles over about 6 1/2 inches. BYW, I thought sub sonic was down around 750 fps, not upwards of 1,100. I understand that the sonic crack was what I was hearing and that this will occur with any caliber that breaks the barrier.

Thanks Much
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

yeltnarb wrote:Well, guys, I've done a couple of things; first, I looked at the baffle arrangement as it came out of the can. I noted that there is a single "hole" in each, and that all holes were aligned with each other. I put them back in rotating each by 90 degrees from the preceeding baffle. I got out from under the gazebo and moved to an open range which did not impact water nor use woods as a buffer. The results were much better. The CBs had almost no noise, including no sound barrier crack. I have order 1,000 rounds of sub sonic from CTDirt and, with this new information you all have provided, think I expected too much, but got what I should have anticipated. The suppressor is a Kestrel, five baffles over about 6 1/2 inches. BYW, I thought sub sonic was down around 750 fps, not upwards of 1,100. I understand that the sonic crack was what I was hearing and that this will occur with any caliber that breaks the barrier.

Thanks Much
Subsonic is generally 1050 or slower, which is below the sound barrier.

You are right the sonic crack is not able to be suppressed.

CCI Standard Velocity is also subsonic and usually cheaper than CCI Subsonic ammo.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

yeltnarb wrote:Actually, I was shooting from a covered gazebo and over water. Still, all three rifles were unacceptably loud. I shot some CB rounds in both .22 LRs and they were quiet, slow to impact and failed to eject. I cannot think of anything one can do to 22 Magnum ammo to reduce the fps.)
try some WRF rounds
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I had to ask Huntertown Arms abt the orientation of the baffles when I first reassembled my Kestrel ... isn't obvious and makes a huge difference in the performance of the can.
yeltnarb

Post by yeltnarb »

I have no idea about arangement of the "cans" in relation one to the other. I intutitively thought rotating them would slow or delay the gas release and, maybe, help. I think I will order the book one of you referred me to and move on up to .45 suppressed, which will eliminate the sonic boom. I had hoped to suppress some .308 Winchester and a Long Model Arisaka--36" barrel in .312 x 58, but will probably abandon that project. Golf is cheaper and you don't have to wait 7 or 8 months to play!

Thanks for you kind patience.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I think that you would be happier with 9mm than 45. It is a well known fact that subsonic 9mm is the next thing to .22 in "quietness". Most 147 gr 9mm loadings are subsonic and, with any decent 9mm suppressor , will make you smile. 45 has always been tough to suppress. AAC and Silencerco have about the quietest 45 suppressors, but I recently was able to hear and shoot a Liberty suppressor that seems to be on par with the AAC/Silencerco offerings.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Your experience is sooo typical and not unexpected. Blame hollywood.

All the answers are correct. Find some standard velocity, "target", and/or subsonic ammo. The latter is more expensive than the first two, and sometimes the first two are subsonic by nature, depending upon bbl length and conditions.

IMO, it's best to buy a half-dozen different boxes of 50 rather than a case. Find what works consistently for you. THEN, buy in bulk.

I had a buddy drop by who had never heard a silencer. I knew what he was expecting, and fortunately, since I had experience with my setup (a Savage MK2) I knew I could deliver a hollywood quiet. We had a Gamo break-open .22 air rifle, the Savage, and two .22 loads. The Savage with target loads was quieter than the spring air rifle. Loading the Savage with a mini-mag, and the sonic crack was startling and VERY loud, comparatively.