WTF? gemtech - SWR- Thompson machine --- adapters the same ?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

imyomama
Silent But Deadly

WTF? gemtech - SWR- Thompson machine --- adapters the same ?

Post by imyomama »

ok, so I just got my ISIS, and decided I wanted to use it on my 300 BLK , so I ordered the 5/8x24 fixed adapter.(it came with a 1/2x28)

I already have a SWR trident with a 5/8x24 mount , a 1/2x28 , a booster and a 3 lug.

So the other night , I just grabbed the adapters and tried them all on the ISIS! WTF?????? they ALL fit just fine !!!!

I've always heard that gemtech adapters (specs Thompson machine uses) were different from SWR and not interchangeable ...
but every single adapter worked fine on the Isis .

now Granted , the Isis mounts are aluminum , while all my swr are steel , so it was worth getting one just for the weight savings , but still ! I'm really surprised to find out they fit !

has anyone else tried this , or a swr mount on a gemtech , or vice/versa ?
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: WTF? gemtech - SWR- Thompson machine --- adapters the sa

Post by Bendersquint »

imyomama wrote:ok, so I just got my ISIS, and decided I wanted to use it on my 300 BLK , so I ordered the 5/8x24 fixed adapter.(it came with a 1/2x28)

I already have a SWR trident with a 5/8x24 mount , a 1/2x28 , a booster and a 3 lug.

So the other night , I just grabbed the adapters and tried them all on the ISIS! WTF?????? they ALL fit just fine !!!!

I've always heard that gemtech adapters (specs Thompson machine uses) were different from SWR and not interchangeable ...

now Granted , the Isis mounts are aluminum , while all my swr are steel , so it was worth getting one just for the weight savings , but still ! I'm really surprised to find out they fit !

They will fit but they are not the same, the dimensions are different.

Do not run mounts that are not designed for your system and vice versa.

You have been warned.
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackson »

ok,i have a question. if it fits but the dimensions are different,does this mean that just because a gun comes already threaded ( say the sps sd ) 5/8x24 that it will not work for other silencer ,s 5/8x24.does this mean that a gun stated silencer ready may not be and the aac sps sd should only run a aac can.if so then i think it should be stated only ready this certain can.
T_Tactical
Senior Silent Operator

Post by T_Tactical »

jackson wrote:ok,i have a question. if it fits but the dimensions are different,does this mean that just because a gun comes already threaded ( say the sps sd ) 5/8x24 that it will not work for other silencer ,s 5/8x24.does this mean that a gun stated silencer ready may not be and the aac sps sd should only run a aac can.if so then i think it should be stated only ready this certain can.

He's not talking about the pistons that thread onto the barrel, he's talking about the LID or Nielson device that threads onto the back of the suppressor.

The different barrel thread types are good to go for different manufacturers pistons.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

T_Tactical wrote:
jackson wrote:ok,i have a question. if it fits but the dimensions are different,does this mean that just because a gun comes already threaded ( say the sps sd ) 5/8x24 that it will not work for other silencer ,s 5/8x24.does this mean that a gun stated silencer ready may not be and the aac sps sd should only run a aac can.if so then i think it should be stated only ready this certain can.

He's not talking about the pistons that thread onto the barrel, he's talking about the LID or Nielson device that threads onto the back of the suppressor.

The different barrel thread types are good to go for different manufacturers pistons.
Thanks T, you nailed it.

I am talking the threads where the mount and the silencer screw together.
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackson »

my mistake ,gotcha.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

Ok, so I miked the od of the threads on both adapters and they are identical. I've checked the play when not threaded all the way, and they are also the same. And when they are locked tight they feel the same. So I'm not getting what's so different about them. Can someone provide the data on the" specs" that are so different? And if that's the case how can any manufacturer even warranty any suppressor unless they are the ones who threaded the host it went on?
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

Bendersquint wrote:
imyomama wrote:ok, so I just got my ISIS, and decided I wanted to use it on my 300 BLK , so I ordered the 5/8x24 fixed adapter.(it came with a 1/2x28)

They will fit but they are not the same, the dimensions are different.

Do not run mounts that are not designed for your system and vice versa.

You have been warned.
don't give me threats , give me specs!!!! Are these different thread pitch? If so what are they? And if that's the case since the adapters have 2 sets of thread, you're voiding warranty the second you thread it into anything, as you can't prove that the barrel threads are within specs either!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

imyomama wrote:Ok, so I miked the od of the threads on both adapters and they are identical. I've checked the play when not threaded all the way, and they are also the same. And when they are locked tight they feel the same. So I'm not getting what's so different about them. Can someone provide the data on the" specs" that are so different? And if that's the case how can any manufacturer even warranty any suppressor unless they are the ones who threaded the host it went on?
The manufacturing specs are different between GemTech and SWR.

Manufacturers warrant things based on whatever parameters they choose. Some will ONLY warrant barrels they thread and respond to problems accordingly, others will go above and beyond to make sure their customers are happy.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

imyomama wrote:
don't give me threats , give me specs!!!! Are these different thread pitch? If so what are they? And if that's the case since the adapters have 2 sets of thread, you're voiding warranty the second you thread it into anything, as you can't prove that the barrel threads are within specs either![/quote]

Not giving any threats, just warning you about about the problems you can face.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

Bendersquint wrote:
imyomama wrote:
don't give me threats , give me specs!!!! Are these different thread pitch? If so what are they? And if that's the case since the adapters have 2 sets of thread, you're voiding warranty the second you thread it into anything, as you can't prove that the barrel threads are within specs either!
Not giving any threats, just warning you about about the problems you can face.[/quote]
Ok, so what's the specs? I'm still wanting to know how threads that look the same, fit the same and miked the same are so different as to void warranty!

I have all the mounts I need from Brooks, there is no reasons for me to use my SWR mounts for it.

But again these mount fit perfect, no different than the ones that came with the Isis . So if that set of threads are different enough to void warranty, then the other set of threads on the other end should too