YHM Cobra M2 core upgrade

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: YHM Cobra M2 core upgrade

Post by Conqueror »

Are people really that dissatisfied with the Cobra9?

Here's a video of one next to my Tirant9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZQjs12aLo

It is slightly louder and does have more FRP but it's not a huge difference. I don't think I would pay hundreds of dollars for a recore.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Conqueror wrote:Are people really that dissatisfied with the Cobra9?

Here's a video of one next to my Tirant9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZQjs12aLo

It is slightly louder and does have more FRP but it's not a huge difference. I don't think I would pay hundreds of dollars for a recore.
The recore is more aimed at the Cobra45, THAT can is being improved upon.

The Cobra9 can be improved as well but there is a lesser need if you ask me.
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

The Human Sound Spectrum
Noise levels range from 0 [zero] decibels [dB] right up to the loudest possible sound at 194 dB, which is a fixed limit based on the earth’s average air pressure.

However, the standard deviation of the noise consumed by the human ear on a day to day basis runs on a much smaller scale, between approximately 30 dB and 80 dB. This means that the noise deviation between specific objects and environments is highly sensitive and minor fluctuations of 2-3 dB can have a profound effect on the awareness of – and discomfort caused by – sound.

So yes - I'll spend a hundred bucks or so for >3db of sound reduction improvement or better on a re-core....because my hearing is worth it... for a suppressor that (M2 Cobra .45 fired 9dry)) is currently NOT hearing safe.
peterlem0njello
Silent But Deadly

Post by peterlem0njello »

How is the project coming along? Can you please provide us with some photos or video in the meantime? Thanks!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

peterlem0njello wrote:How is the project coming along? Can you please provide us with some photos or video in the meantime? Thanks!
Waiting on a few stacks to come back from anodizing.

Video doesn't really show much since we didn't use a hi end video and the sound was a little off. We have a better camera for the next shoot.
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

What happens to the old core if it gets replaced? Can people hang on to theirs or are there rules against that sort of thing (to swap in case of baffle strike, etc)?

Pics for the meantime:

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Munk wrote:What happens to the old core if it gets replaced? Can people hang on to theirs or are there rules against that sort of thing (to swap in case of baffle strike, etc)?
The old core is destroyed since you can't possess any extra silencer parts.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

So the end of the tube just threaded for a traditional endcap to hold a new baffle stack? I assume the tube isn't too thin up front for threading and the additional stresses this might cause? I only ask because the original YHM tube design didn't really require too much thickness at the ends or hold a load lengthwise - it would just suck to spray suppressor guts downrange.

I'm watching this thread with anticipation as I'm still debating making a fixed "muzzle brake" mount for my 9mm SMG to make dedicated cleanable can out of the old 45 Cobra M2. It'll have to remain a .45 suppressor, but that's no reason a custom made 9mm brake mount can't be made for it... just a mount after all. And hey, if a new core supresses 45 better too... then all the better!

An old Cobra M2 just seems like a hassle to sell for the little amount it would fetch so I'd like to do something with it.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

pneumagger wrote:So the end of the tube just threaded for a traditional endcap to hold a new baffle stack? I assume the tube isn't too thin up front for threading and the additional stresses this might cause? I only ask because the original YHM tube design didn't really require too much thickness at the ends or hold a load lengthwise - it would just suck to spray suppressor guts downrange.

I'm watching this thread with anticipation as I'm still debating making a fixed "muzzle brake" mount for my 9mm SMG to make dedicated cleanable can out of the old 45 Cobra M2. It'll have to remain a .45 suppressor, but that's no reason a custom made 9mm brake mount can't be made for it... just a mount after all. And hey, if a new core supresses 45 better too... then all the better!

An old Cobra M2 just seems like a hassle to sell for the little amount it would fetch so I'd like to do something with it.
Do you honestly think that we would be provide a service that would have the possibility to fail or destroy the tube?
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

You mentioned that this was an "involved" core upgrade... I was just wondering if the process involved reinforcement of the tube or other means of supporting the baffle stack. Just curious.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

pneumagger wrote:You mentioned that this was an "involved" core upgrade... I was just wondering if the process involved reinforcement of the tube or other means of supporting the baffle stack. Just curious.
No worries Pneumagger - It IS involved, it isn't as simple as just dropping another stack into it, there is alot of very poorly used space inside the Cobra that needs to be dealt with so it performs better, the first round pop is one of the difficult hurdles because of their design.

There is no need to reinforce the tube, it is already thicker than the tubes SWR uses for their Octane.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

bayonet14 wrote:The Human Sound Spectrum
Noise levels range from 0 [zero] decibels [dB] right up to the loudest possible sound at 194 dB, which is a fixed limit based on the earth’s average air pressure.

However, the standard deviation of the noise consumed by the human ear on a day to day basis runs on a much smaller scale, between approximately 30 dB and 80 dB. This means that the noise deviation between specific objects and environments is highly sensitive and minor fluctuations of 2-3 dB can have a profound effect on the awareness of – and discomfort caused by – sound.

So yes - I'll spend a hundred bucks or so for >3db of sound reduction improvement or better on a re-core....because my hearing is worth it... for a suppressor that (M2 Cobra .45 fired 9dry)) is currently NOT hearing safe.
Yes, I'm familiar with how decibels work.

The recores we are describing are not "a hundred bucks or so." They are more like $300. And people above WERE talking about recoring the Cobra 9. For $300+, I'd rather relegate the Cobra 9 to duty on a different application (say, a .300BLK handi rifle), or sell it for a few hundred bucks, and save up $300 more to buy a second, much better silencer. I will grant that 9mm through a Cobra 45 is probably loud, but subcaliber applications are ALWAYS louder. I know not everyone has a bunch of disposable income, but NFA has never been a poor man's game. Buy once, cry once. Don't spend hundreds turning a turd into a polished turd.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
dogfish

Post by dogfish »

Should have my YHM Cobra .45 can by August. Went pending late January. Very interested in having it recored.
peterlem0njello
Silent But Deadly

Post by peterlem0njello »

Can you please give us some updates? Please include pictures and videos!
tacticalhillbilly

Post by tacticalhillbilly »

Any updates on the core upgrade?

I finally got the Cobra in and as everyone has said its loud. First round dry made my ears ring. 9 month wait for that?

Does anybody think Yankee Hill will ever upgrade the Cobra?

bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

SRI got his CNC machine in and awaiting power hook up - looks like we will ditch the current blast chamber (current stock YHM is too large) in favor of the ability to throw in maybe 2 more baffles...more to follow
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Bender, you got PM... I decided to pull the trigger on a Cobra M2 45 core upgrade! :mrgreen:
sandflea

Post by sandflea »

Bendersquint,
I currently have a Cobra M2 .45 pending approval... and this thread is very relevant to me.
From reading the thread sounds like the booster is keeping the you from adding more baffles. Understandable since it's needed for running it on the pistol.
And this is where this becomes relevant to me. I don't plan on running on a pistol at all. I want to run this on my .45 AR-15 sbr.
So I believe I don't need the booster. More than willing to send you my Cobra M2 once it's approved to ditch the booster and add more baffles.
Am even willing to send it along with the host gun if need be.
tacticalhillbilly

Hey Bender! Did you get a final design? Any info on Db reduction dry after the upgrade? Price? Wait time? I bet you have a hell of a waiting list on these. They are turds! I would love just to have it hearing safe dry!!!

Eddie
gixxerpilot750

Post by gixxerpilot750 »

Bender, after following this thread for a while and looking at my Cobra M2 45, I got to thinking. Why couldn't a person pull the YHM core and flip the tube 180 degrees after cutting new threads for the front cap? This would get rid of the lost ~2" due to their piston/LID. The YHM rear mount isn't glue in is it?

Edited to add... The above post seemed to make sense as I was typing it, but left quite a bit to be desired. Basically I was thinking that a person could remove the YHM monocore, remove the YHM rear mount, and invert the tube after threading the old front end of the tube for a new rear cap. Really, as long as a person could remove the old rear mount/blast baffle assembly, it wouldn't matter as I think you'd be left with an unthreaded tube either way.
tacticalhillbilly

Any updates?

Thanks

Eddie
prdubi
Silent But Deadly

Post by prdubi »

Very interested in this thread and I have a cobra m2 .45.

I wet it down alot and it helps but anything to make it better would be awesome!
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

Update soon - host will be a Kriss V SBR
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

Need one more mod to close the gap at the rear of the suppressor - then it will be done

One Baffle from the stack (7 in there)

darkstar2

Post by darkstar2 »

Any further word on upgrade or price?