22WMR

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

danco302

22WMR

Post by danco302 »

New guy here. I would like to know if anybody has suppressed .22 magnum and how does it sound?
The firearm in question would be a MARLIN 882 bolt action and the suppressor is going to be the SPECTER II
Thanks for the time
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: 22WMR

Post by JasonM »

danco302 wrote:New guy here. I would like to know if anybody has suppressed .22 magnum and how does it sound?
The firearm in question would be a MARLIN 882 bolt action and the suppressor is going to be the SPECTER II
Thanks for the time
Muzzle blast is almost totally tamed, but the bullet flight noise is still quite loud.

Hearing safe to the shooter, but no mistaking that it's a gunshot.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
rdfrog21

Post by rdfrog21 »

Not quite a 22mag but I shoot my element on a ruger 77/17 17 hmr and I'd say it cuts the sound by more than half. Quieter than my 10/22 unsuppressed for sure.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

I had a sako quad cut to 16 inches and threaded. With my Spectre it sounds great! No need for ear plugs, but sonic crack off course. Take the can off and it rang my ears bad! So if you're dead set on 22 mag, you will notice a big difference... But don't expect a quiet shot that your neighbors won't hear... Just way more pleasant to shoot !
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

I had my Marlin 25mn threaded and popped the SS Sparrow on it and it sounds great, just the noise downrange. Hearing safe at an indoor range too.
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

I run an AAC Element on a bolt action CZ in 22 WMR. I agree with the previous posts about the sound. The 22 WMR occupies interesting middle ground.  It's either going to be a favorite, or a dust collector in the back of your safe. It turns the 22 WMR into a 22 LR in ease of use/enjoyability, but it will still have a sonic crack like a 223 without the power.  Depending on your use for it, you  would be hard pressed to find a better, or a worse, choice. I like mine! 
danco302

Post by danco302 »

The intended use of the 22WMR was going to be for pig(small pig) hunting and just playing around.
the Spectre is being used on a RUGER MKII. I'm threading a 10/22 and was also kicking around the idea of threading the Marlin
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

danco302 wrote:The intended use of the 22WMR was going to be for pig(small pig) hunting and just playing around.
the Spectre is being used on a RUGER MKII. I'm threading a 10/22 and was also kicking around the idea of threading the Marlin
Depending on the circumstances, a 22 WMR would work fine, but if it was me, I'd go for a little more energy for pigs, ever small ones.