Econo-Can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Econo-Can

Post by rogerme »

Ok I had another person tell me about these today. Now IMHO these are trouble waiting to happen. American specialty ammo is selling them on form four's. MY question for you industry folks is how is this possible. Has anyone actually got one? I have seen company vids on them but was unable to find a individual showing there off. Now from what I know this shoudl be illegal as of they sold it to you sans the filter attached IE you buy the filter separately your "repairing" it and that to my understanding is illegal. Then when you want to replace the filter from the way I understand the law you would have to send it to the maker or a 02 sot to screw a new filter on for you?

Somebody give the LEGAL low down on both how they are selling it and if you to think they are illegal and why??
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Econo-Can

Post by Bendersquint »

PM Sent
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Evolution

Post by David Hineline »

There was a time when only a completed functional silencer was assembled it was regulated, mail order you could buy half the componants, and on the next page of a catalog from another company the rest of the parts, so the BATFE started regulating every part of a silencer requiring even replacable wipes rubber to be sent to manuf. for rebuild, this killed the wipe type silencer, then silencer companies would have the customer send in the silencer, they would fill it with wipes, say 20 or more and return, the customer had 20 wipes worth of useage before they had to send in again, then BATFE decided replacable parts designed to be replaced are allowed to be replaced by consumer, so then adapters to accept std. plastic pop bottles became ok as the pop bottle is just a wipe designed to be replaced and not a silencer componant, this oil filter deal would be the evolution of that thinking, someday someone will send one to BATFE to question legality and some new ruling of the week will apply.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Re: Evolution

Post by redtazdog »

David Hineline wrote:There was a time when only a completed functional silencer was assembled it was regulated, mail order you could buy half the componants, and on the next page of a catalog from another company the rest of the parts, so the BATFE started regulating every part of a silencer requiring even replacable wipes rubber to be sent to manuf. for rebuild, this killed the wipe type silencer, then silencer companies would have the customer send in the silencer, they would fill it with wipes, say 20 or more and return, the customer had 20 wipes worth of useage before they had to send in again, then BATFE decided replacable parts designed to be replaced are allowed to be replaced by consumer, so then adapters to accept std. plastic pop bottles became ok as the pop bottle is just a wipe designed to be replaced and not a silencer componant, this oil filter deal would be the evolution of that thinking, someday someone will send one to BATFE to question legality and some new ruling of the week will apply.
About twenty years ago I used to see the coke bottle adapters and it gave me the idea of making a form 1 adapter and using
one of my small quad oil filters as they are small enough for a 22 but not as big as the car filters then ATF got wind of the
soda bottle adapters and made some new rules.
At gun shows I also used to see tubes with end caps on one table and across the room would be another table
selling just baffles and soon after ATF made the rule that any part of a silencer is considered a entire silencer.
it seems if its fun and cheap they make new rules so it will cost more money to play.