Sub or super?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Sub or super?

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Will standard .22LR ammo go supersonic in a Ruger 22/45 and a 10/22 (with a Sparrow attached) or is subsonic ammo needed? Thanks again.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Sub or super?

Post by Bendersquint »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Will standard .22LR ammo go supersonic in a Ruger 22/45 and a 10/22 (with a Sparrow attached) or is subsonic ammo needed? Thanks again.
It will go supersonic in the 22/45 if barrel length is over 3-3.5".

It will definitely be super in the 10/22.

CCI Standard Velocity is what you need! Subsonic from everything!
Bird
Silent Operator

Post by Bird »

CCI subs are 1050 fps muzzle velocity and CCI standards are 1070 fps at the muzzle. I shoot both depending on what's available at my favorite local gun store. Supers don't sound any louder initially in my Sig Mosquito and Johns Guns SP22 but the sonic crack a few feet downrange is plenty loud.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Most all hi velocity ammo has been subsonic in barrels of 4.5" or less I have
found.
The longer the barrel after 4.5" = less brands of hi vel and some standard vel that will be subsonic
and when you get past the 5.5" the temp, weather ect ect will change things then you may as well just shoot subsonic ammo.
I shoot subsonic ammo 90% of the time as I have so many damn 22's with many diferent barrel lengths.