AAC Element 1 problems

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

slackercruster
Silent But Deadly

AAC Element 1 problems

Post by slackercruster »

Love the little AAC Element 1 can. But it came apart when I tried to take it off of the host. And the end of the can is stuck on the gun.
Any suggestions on how to take it off in 1 piece?
Also what should i use to take the end off that is stuck on the gun without marring it?

Thanks
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Element 1 problems

Post by yamatitan »

It happens all the time to me and a padded vice and strap wrench has worked every time.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Rubber strap wrench, I use these all the time to get suppressor endcaps off things.

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-260194-4 ... rap+wrench
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

This work better. I have a pair of thses I use on many things.
http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-52910N-C ... jaw+pliers

This look good for any size.

http://www.amazon.com/Techni-Tool-Plier ... jaw+pliers
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
slackercruster
Silent But Deadly

Post by slackercruster »

Thanks

Do you think this is a defect of the Element? It is pretty irritating. Or is it a common happening with other brands of cans too?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

slackercruster wrote:Thanks

Do you think this is a defect of the Element? It is pretty irritating. Or is it a common happening with other brands of cans too?
It happens with other brands as well but you don't hear about it as much.

We are replacing a few Element mounts and endcaps to try and rid this problem. Going with flush mounts!
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

IMO, most of the time its because the user (I learned this myself after getting it stuck) uses too much force on the silencer to tighten it down.

I've only done finger tight after the first couple times of getting the rear cap stuck on there and had no problems with POI shift or unscrewing the can from the end cap.

Technically you could do what AAC is doing with the element 2s since you need the rear cap on there anyways to push the baffles out but it is nice to brush/hone the can out to clean it.
slackercruster
Silent But Deadly

Post by slackercruster »

I just put it on lightly and it is stuck like hell. Will hit Lowes today and look for some padded tools rto take it off. Other than this problem, I love it.
rdfrog21

Post by rdfrog21 »

While I've never gotten mine stuck I did make a little pin wrench after reading about it happening. I also have an adjustable pin wrench I found on ebay on the way looks like it may work should be here by first of week. I'll post results if it works.
sirmarion

Post by sirmarion »

Use some anti-seize on the threads before you thread it on the barrel,use sparingly or you'll have that crap all over your self, but it works.
slackercruster
Silent But Deadly

Post by slackercruster »

Anyone try antisieze compund on the threads of the barrel? Maybe can would come off easier?? I bot a plastic jawed plier tool and got it off. But it is a pain having to carry more crap to break it down.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

slackercruster wrote:Anyone try antisieze compund on the threads of the barrel? Maybe can would come off easier?? I bot a plastic jawed plier tool and got it off. But it is a pain having to carry more crap to break it down.
Anti-Sieze doesn't help these endcaps.

Redesign is required to solve the issue and even then it doesn't make it go completely away.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I have the Element, keep the threads clean on gun and can, if you tilt a dirty can on the gun it can dirty threads again so screw on level. I pull a little oil in the gun threads, dont over tighten.

Rarely have issue this way.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Emilio wrote:I have the Element, keep the threads clean on gun and can, if you tilt a dirty can on the gun it can dirty threads again so screw on level. I pull a little oil in the gun threads, dont over tighten.

Rarely have issue this way.
x2.

Use a soft wire brush after shooting to keep the barrel threads clean . . . clp it . . . finger tight. no problems . . .
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Are the threads on your barrel too long? Collecting carbon on the extra threads will get most cans stuck.
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

This happens to everyone who owns an element... everyone just learns their own workaround. I just loctited my endcap on. I always carry the strap wrench with me just in case.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

EEdave86 wrote:This happens to everyone who owns an element... everyone just learns their own workaround. I just loctited my endcap on. I always carry the strap wrench with me just in case.
Even with our replacement mount it can still come undone, its just a little tighter fit than the factory one. We recommend using blue loctite on ours so it CAN come off if you so choose.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Bendersquint, could the endcap be taking tension off the mount? maybe a shouldered endcap could help.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Why no one make a locking cap like a detent? all cans should have this. :roll:
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Bendersquint wrote:
EEdave86 wrote:This happens to everyone who owns an element... everyone just learns their own workaround. I just loctited my endcap on. I always carry the strap wrench with me just in case.
Even with our replacement mount it can still come undone, its just a little tighter fit than the factory one. We recommend using blue loctite on ours so it CAN come off if you so choose.
I would love to see picutures when its done. Hopefully your fix doesnt change performance?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

yamatitan wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
I would love to see picutures when its done. Hopefully your fix doesnt change performance?
Doesn't change sound performance at all, simply replaces the current mount.

Not necessarily the golden ticket but it does help and it gets a more traditional mount look as well. More streamlined than how it is right now.
IB Slingin
Silent Operator

Post by IB Slingin »

Bendersquint,

Sorry Im late to the party. Are you guys making a replacement mounting end for the Element? Can you please provide me with some details about it?
Thank you
Last edited by IB Slingin on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
slackercruster
Silent But Deadly

Post by slackercruster »

SRM wrote:Are the threads on your barrel too long? Collecting carbon on the extra threads will get most cans stuck.

Don't know? Just bot the standard thread adapters you put on the host.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

slackercruster wrote:
SRM wrote:Are the threads on your barrel too long? Collecting carbon on the extra threads will get most cans stuck.

Don't know? Just bot the standard thread adapters you put on the host.
.400-.420" length for a .22 lr.