762sd on a 556...commonly requested test...did it!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

skydiver41

762sd on a 556...commonly requested test...did it!

Post by skydiver41 »

Greetings all. 2 years ago I had the $$$ so I bought both a 762sd and an SPR/M4 in 556. One of the most common questions that I have seen on this forum is "How would a 762 suppressor sound on a 556?" This weekend I did that test. Sorry, I did not shoot any video...maybe next time.

I have a RRA Elite Comp (16") carbine and have been running the SPR/M4 on it. Absolutely love it. I bought the 762sd to run on my Stag 6.8 and my M1A. My buddy has the exact same RRA Elite Comp that I have. My buddy doesn't have the $$$ for 2 suppressors and like many, is interested in a can that can be used effectively on a variety of hosts.

In front of a crowd of 25 or so onlookers we announced the test we were going to do and asked everyone to pay close attention and listen. Side my side we rattled off 3 rounds each...bouncing back and forth. When the mags were dry we asked everyone's opinion...no one could hear any difference between the SPR/M4 and the 762sd. We are both shooting the exact same rifle and ammo.

Then, my buddy and I asked to 2 volunteers to switch places with us and repeat the test so that we could listen. Again, I could hear no difference at all. The 762sd had a slight ringing sound present that the SPR/M4 did not but as far as volume...no one on the firing line, including us, could hear the difference.

And of course now he wants to buy my 762sd.

The SPR/M4 has a way better mounting system (the M.I.T.E.R mount vs the 18T Flash hider). If I remember correctly the when I bought both of them the SPR/M4 cost $450.00 or so more. So if you asked my whether or not the SPR/M4 sounded $450.00 better than the 762sd...the answer would be an atounding...NO!

I love the SPR/M4...knowing what I know now I wish I would have bought an SPR/M4 in 6.8 for use on my Stag and RRA Elite Comp. I know that AAC doesn't make the SPR/M4 any more. Anyone know anybody who may have one in 6.8 sitting on a shelf somewhere? Thanks.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Re: 762sd on a 556...commonly requested test...did it!

Post by Fire_Medic »

I have no relation to the seller but ran across someone with a SF 6.8 can on Sturm:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4s ... ead=152332
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
jurist
Silent But Deadly

Post by jurist »

That's interesting to hear a side by side on those two. Funny enough AAC isn't making either can any more. If your friend wants a 762SD they're out there but they command a premium at many shops that still have them cause they're actually quieter than the 762SDN6 that replaced them. I found one for a cousin who had to have one and he got it for $750 but that was the lowest I'd seen in a while. Good luck on the SPR M4 in 6.8.
TSI Consulting
GLOCK Certified Armorer
FFL/SOT
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

I'm debating on getting either an M4-2000 or a 762-SDN-6 that I can use on my 5.56 AND .308. Can anyone here tell me how much of a sound/decibel difference there is between the two suppressors when shooing with a 5.56 SBR?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Slaine777
Silent Operator

Post by Slaine777 »

In Feburary of 2011 I sent an email to AAC asking about sound levels on the 762SD vs 762SDN6. The response from Mers was that on 308 with an 18" barrel they would sound the same. On 5.56 they would sound the same on a 12" barrel. Shorter barrels would favor the 762SDN6, longer barrels the 762SD. That information is only useful now if you can find a 762SD.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

byron tested the sd and sdn6 on similar platforms, sd was better by a good amount.
do not sell your sd
NP
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

Tango2249 wrote:I'm debating on getting either an M4-2000 or a 762-SDN-6 that I can use on my 5.56 AND .308. Can anyone here tell me how much of a sound/decibel difference there is between the two suppressors when shooing with a 5.56 SBR?
I tested this exact combo on a 5.56 10.5" LMT. To the ear the pitch was different. I think the 762SDN6 had a slightly lower pitch than the m42k. The guy demoing them for me said on a meter it was like 4db(the sdn6 being 4db higher than the m42k) or something like that which is basically nothing IMO in the grand schem. I went with an SDN6. you add 1" basically to the can and 4db, but to have the capability to run multiple calibers through it to me added tremendously to the value you got out of the sdn6.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

rjacobs wrote:
Tango2249 wrote:I'm debating on getting either an M4-2000 or a 762-SDN-6 that I can use on my 5.56 AND .308. Can anyone here tell me how much of a sound/decibel difference there is between the two suppressors when shooing with a 5.56 SBR?
I tested this exact combo on a 5.56 10.5" LMT. To the ear the pitch was different. I think the 762SDN6 had a slightly lower pitch than the m42k. The guy demoing them for me said on a meter it was like 4db(the sdn6 being 4db higher than the m42k) or something like that which is basically nothing IMO in the grand schem. I went with an SDN6. you add 1" basically to the can and 4db, but to have the capability to run multiple calibers through it to me added tremendously to the value you got out of the sdn6.
If they are that close in sound reduction, I might as well go with the 762SDN6. I'm going to be using it primarily on a 10.5" Noveske, but if and when I build a 300BLK, it's nice being able to use the same suppressor for both hosts.
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Tango2249 wrote:
rjacobs wrote:
If they are that close in sound reduction, I might as well go with the 762SDN6. I'm going to be using it primarily on a 10.5" Noveske, but if and when I build a 300BLK, it's nice being able to use the same suppressor for both hosts.
Do this exactly and save yourself the hassle. That's where I'm at now, want to get a 300BLK upper and only have the 5.56 can. The only reason I bought it was because of the deal I got, but I still wish I would have spent the cash on a .308 can instead.

FM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
skydiver41

Post by skydiver41 »

The only reason that I would even think about selling it is that I also have a Rem 700 PSS in 300 Win Mag and want to have the barrel threaded for a can. I have read about those (including Mr Mers) who say that as long as the barrel is 24 inches or longer that the 762sd should be fine on the 300 Win Mag. That's great, however, I don't want should be fine...I want warrantied for the 300 mag by design.

Perhaps I should sell him the SPR/M4 and keep the 762 sd, then buy an Omega 300. I do love that MITER mount though.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

skydiver41 wrote:The only reason that I would even think about selling it is that I also have a Rem 700 PSS in 300 Win Mag and want to have the barrel threaded for a can. I have read about those (including Mr Mers) who say that as long as the barrel is 24 inches or longer that the 762sd should be fine on the 300 Win Mag. That's great, however, I don't want should be fine...I want warrantied for the 300 mag by design.

Perhaps I should sell him the SPR/M4 and keep the 762 sd, then buy an Omega 300. I do love that MITER mount though.

If it does not have to be QD liberty also makes a very affordable can for the magnum:

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/liberty-freedom-mag
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

If you search - deals can be had on the 7.62SD. Granted I picked mine up (for ($699) just before the SDN-6 came out. So my 2cents....search and shop around - and dont forget to haggel....if a shop has had the item in stock awhile and want to move it - to make room for newer items - they may cut you a deal. :D