Baffle Alignment? To Stagger or Not?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

opherhenry

Baffle Alignment? To Stagger or Not?

Post by opherhenry »

So I've always stagger the baffles in my AAC Element when I clean it and pretty sure it came from AAC staggered thinking this results in better suppression as it make the gases flow a less direct path. Anyway, I took apart my AAC Ti-Rant .45 can and noticed all of the baffles are lined up with the holes all on the same spot. I staggered them when I put it back together and then got to thinking about shooting it wet and if there some logic to the way for factory assembled it. Any thoughts? Is there any difference in performance and if so is shooting the can wet ok with staggered baffles?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Baffle Alignment? To Stagger or Not?

Post by Bendersquint »

opherhenry wrote:So I've always stagger the baffles in my AAC Element when I clean it and pretty sure it came from AAC staggered thinking this results in better suppression as it make the gases flow a less direct path. Anyway, I took apart my AAC Ti-Rant .45 can and noticed all of the baffles are lined up with the holes all on the same spot. I staggered them when I put it back together and then got to thinking about shooting it wet and if there some logic to the way for factory assembled it. Any thoughts? Is there any difference in performance and if so is shooting the can wet ok with staggered baffles?
There is more than LOGIC to how the factory has them installed, they are installed that way for a reason. Its done that way for optimum performance.

They don't just throw the TiRant or Element baffles in there.

Logic actually plays very little into silencers. What seems logical often won't work as you think.

Give it a try, it won't hurt the baffles, worse case scenario you will have a can thats a little louder then you revert to the factory way which is 99% more likely to be the quietest configuration.

Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

What Bender said!

besides, do you really think that these manufactured go through lots of money doing R&D and high quality machining just to throw the baffles into the housing in a way that would be inefficient.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

For the full size Tirant 45 (9 baffles), the holes of the 4 grey baffles are supposed to be facing 180 degrees from the 5 black ones. At least thats what the manual says. I've read in other threads that people get their TiRants the same as you; all 9 baffle holes aligned. Makes you wonder who actually does final assembly at AAC?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:For the full size Tirant 45 (9 baffles), the holes of the 4 grey baffles are supposed to be facing 180 degrees from the 5 black ones. At least thats what the manual says. I've read in other threads that people get their TiRants the same as you; all 9 baffle holes aligned. Makes you wonder who actually does final assembly at AAC?
There were reasons for the different alignments. They weren't accidents.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Bendersquint wrote:
rimshaker wrote:For the full size Tirant 45 (9 baffles), the holes of the 4 grey baffles are supposed to be facing 180 degrees from the 5 black ones. At least thats what the manual says. I've read in other threads that people get their TiRants the same as you; all 9 baffle holes aligned. Makes you wonder who actually does final assembly at AAC?
Doesnt the manual apply to all of them? Unless the early sealed ones are somehow different from the newer serviceable ones.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Doesnt the manual apply to all of them? Unless the early sealed ones are somehow different from the newer serviceable ones.
The manual obviously doesn't apply to those that were factory sealed as it was never intended that anyone would be inside to see them.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Bendersquint wrote:Logic actually plays very little into silencers. What seems logical often won't work as you think.
Sure logic applies. The problem is that logic is based on knowledge, and "common sense" isn't all that common and has little to do with fluid dynamics.

If the mfg has instructions on assembly, follow them. There is little doubt that alignment can affect the performance and they will most likely have tests to back up their choice. The asymmetrical B&T-style baffles I used on my latest design seems to work best if they are kept in line, at least that's what the flow-sims suggest.
rdfrog21

Post by rdfrog21 »

So how are the element baffles suppose to be staggered or lined up?
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

rdfrog21 wrote:So how are the element baffles suppose to be staggered or lined up?
ELEMENT is staggered per the manual
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

With my f1 .22lr can, I figured everything should be in line as the gasses hit the next baffle opposite the scoop in the face. Work the gasses more right?! Well, I staggered them and it turned out to quiet it down a bit more. I think it increases the pressure at the scoop pushing more gas into the outside chamber. ymmv.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Alternating gives a less restrictive path for gases moving forward
because the next scoop is in that path when the baffles are alternated 180.
I've learned to drop my K's in the tube randomly.