Tirant and the Les Baer TRS?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Tirant and the Les Baer TRS?

Post by weaponsloader »

Quick question, I've always just used glocks for my cans because drop in barrels are cheap and easy. I've got a TRS that should be here next week. Its my first 1911 and I think 1911's with cans look sexy. Since these are semi custom pistols and everything is hand fit, what kind of options do I have for threaded barrels? I noticed LB sells 6 inch barrels as well. Should I get a 6 inch barrel fitted, then have it threaded? Is there anything in particular I should know about silencing a 1911? Thanks in advance.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill every person you meet."
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Re: Tirant and the Les Baer TRS?

Post by Fire_Medic »

Brownells carries threaded barrels for the 1911's, IIRC they're made by Storm lake. Someone should fit the barrel to the gun. However, if it was "my" Les Baer, to keep the accuracy of it I would fork out the cash and send it to Barsto for a custom fit threaded barrel.

FM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Thanks, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to 1911's and I would rather pay for quality. The classic buy once, cry once...
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

weaponsloader wrote:Thanks, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to 1911's and I would rather pay for quality. The classic buy once, cry once...
There are quite possibly other options (I'm sure others will chime in) but those are the ones I know of. And Barsto is well known for their barrels. I have had a few and no disappointment with any of them.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I think I would contact LBC. I'm sure they'll do it for ya.
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

When I asked LBC I was told they would only fit an extended barrel
and then I would have to have it threaded by someone else.
They would not even consider threading it.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I went with a Storm Lake and had a local gunsmith fit it. They are actually pretty close anyway, also the SL barrels don't come with a link or pin so if you want to keep the ones on your original barrel, order them from Brownells.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

I'm in the same boat. I have had good luck with the Karts that come in LBs and therefore I want a Kart barrel. I have contacted Springfield's Custom Shop and they will supply, fit, and thread a Kart for me. I will need to supply the thread protector. Turn time is expected to be 4 - 6 weeks and cost is a little less than $500.00.

The other group I will check with is EGW (Evolution Gun Works).

John Harrison / Don Williams / insert your favorite smith from Louderthanwords would be great choices but I don't know about turn times. Thus I am looking at Springer's Custom Shop and EGW.

Good luck
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

storm lake drop in 5" barrel came with bushing, link and pin for $190 or so from RSR. It's more than accurate enough for me to ring the 50 yard gong on my range and once I confirmed it could do that, i didn't bother putting it in a ransom rest or any of that other crap. Unless you plan on shooting 50 yard bullseye (and are measuring your charges and segregating your bullets by weight) I think you're wasting your time going the high-end master uber-1911 smith to hard fit a custom threaded barrel. separate and apart from cost, I can't imagine any of the louderthanwords guys mentioned in the this thread would get the barrel back to you in less than 1/2 a year. i'm sure it would be a goddamn work of art when it finally showed up but f-ck that noise.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I think I might end up going the Storm Lake route. I have one of their threaded barrels in my XDM and I'm pleased with it.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE