New guy. Longtime lurker.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

45winMag

New guy. Longtime lurker.

Post by 45winMag »

Finally decided to join. I've read a lot of useful info on this board (helped me select the Liberty Kodiak as my .22 can, influenced me to buy a .45 Osprey and a 9mm TiRant). These things have become an addiction.

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: New guy. Longtime lurker.

Post by Bendersquint »

Welcome!

Nice collection, it truly is an addiction!
45winMag

Post by 45winMag »

Bendersquint wrote:Welcome!

Hoping to have my Coastal reworked by you soon. I've been trading e-mails with SRI (don't know if it's you or someone else at the company) with an idea to repurpose it for 300 BLK subs if I sell my M11/9.

At some point, I'm probably going to want my .45 Cobra reworked too.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

45winMag wrote:

Hoping to have my Coastal reworked by you soon. I've been trading e-mails with SRI (don't know if it's you or someone else at the company) with an idea to repurpose it for 300 BLK subs if I sell my M11/9.

Yup thats me you have been writing to! We got you covered on both counts!
Tweak

Post by Tweak »

45winMag wrote:These things have become an addiction.
You said it...Exactly Right

BTW very nice collection!!!
45winMag

Post by 45winMag »

Bendersquint wrote:
45winMag wrote:

Yup thats me you have been writing to! We got you covered on both counts!
Is it going to be a better idea to go with 5/8x24 threads or is it going to be possible to duplicate the threads for a YHM QD mount for the Coastal? I noticed that I will lose about 1/3 of my baffles to the flash hider if we go that route. Would I need those baffles to make sure I have enough back pressure to cycle my 300 BLK SBR? It runs great with a rifle can, but when I tried my .45 Osprey, it would eject but not feed. It has an 8" 1:8 barrel.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

45winMag wrote:
Is it going to be a better idea to go with 5/8x24 threads or is it going to be possible to duplicate the threads for a YHM QD mount for the Coastal? I noticed that I will lose about 1/3 of my baffles to the flash hider if we go that route. Would I need those baffles to make sure I have enough back pressure to cycle my 300 BLK SBR? It runs great with a rifle can, but when I tried my .45 Osprey, it would eject but not feed. It has an 8" 1:8 barrel.
Email inbound.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

45winMag wrote:Finally decided to join. I've read a lot of useful info on this board (helped me select the Liberty Kodiak as my .22 can, influenced me to buy a .45 Osprey and a 9mm TiRant). These things have become an addiction.

Welcome! Your collection is overwhelming. Excellent taste.
Buying the best up front will prove to be the cheapest in the long run.

A slightly different perspective.

It is not an addiction. It is a calling! :)

Best.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Winner category first post splash screen.

Nice collection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Sweet......Nice Toys!!!!

I tell my wife that my collection is old enough to breed on it's own.
How's that working for you? :lol:
45winMag

Post by 45winMag »

twodollarbill wrote:Sweet......Nice Toys!!!!

I tell my wife that my collection is old enough to breed on it's own.
How's that working for you? :lol:
Bought three right before my wedding earlier this year, Form 4 cleared on all last month. Wife was present for the purchase of two of them. Right now, I'm mostly having to hide stripped AR receivers that somehow keep sneaking into the house and turning into SBRs.
Last edited by 45winMag on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Awesome, welcome aboard
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Welcome! Great start! Looks like you understand the "buy once, cry once" and "you gotta pay to play"
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
piglatinhater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by piglatinhater »

Welcome
45winMag

Post by 45winMag »

Thanks for the warm welcome. This is where I would usually end up when looking for info, especially for my last few cans and my 300 BLK SBR build. Should have joined a long time ago.

Now for more shameless posting of pics...

No cans on these, but this is where my username comes from:
Last edited by 45winMag on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Why no stock on the Osprey wearing SBR?
45winMag

Post by 45winMag »

Bendersquint wrote:Why no stock on the Osprey wearing SBR?
Pistol. Waiting for the Form 1 to clear, then it gets a stock and VFG. To avoid constructive possession issues, I wait to order the stock until I get the Form 1.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

45winMag wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Why no stock on the Osprey wearing SBR?
Pistol. Waiting for the Form 1 to clear, then it gets a stock and VFG. To avoid constructive possession issues, I wait to order the stock until I get the Form 1.
You can't have a rifle/carbine buffer tube on a pistol, your picture shows an SBR not a pistol.

Get a pistol buffer tube if you want to be legit.

How would you prove to the ATF that you haven't installed a stock on that stock ready buffer tube.
45winMag

Post by 45winMag »

Pic removed and buffer coming off. Was relying on recent letters I'd seen posted elsewhere.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

45winMag wrote:Pic removed and buffer coming off. Was relying on recent letters I'd seen posted elsewhere.
Please link recent letters that say a rifle stock ready tube is fine as long as you don't have the stock to put on it?

I have seen them about pistol tubes but nothing about rifle stock buffer tubes.

You see my point right? Proof that it was never installed lies in your court when they come a knockin'.
45winMag

Post by 45winMag »

I did some searching to find the letters I'd seen, and now I've noticed they are connected to someone with a history of trolling and bizarre behavior in public and on multiple websites. I'd simply taken them at face value without any consideration of the source. Point taken, not worth the risk. Apologies if I've breached a touchy subject, I see from my searches that this topic has been raised here before.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

45winMag wrote:I did some searching to find the letters I'd seen, and now I've noticed they are connected to someone with a history of trolling and bizarre behavior in public and on multiple websites. I'd simply taken them at face value without any consideration of the source. Point taken, not worth the risk. Apologies if I've breached a touchy subject, I see from my searches that this topic has been raised here before.
You are good ;)
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Nice collection. I can't wait until my forms start clearing! It's time to start getting some hosts though. Only have 22 hosts so far and have 9 non-22 caliber cans coming in the near future.

Suggestions??? all calibers really. The other 9 cans pretty much cover every caliber out there. I still have some time since only the 5.56/.223 cans are actually pending. Still need hosts for those too though....only have 1 AR thus far. I'm not interested in SBR's just yet though. Wanna learn more about the laws before I dive into that. Don't wanna cross the lines like discussed above.
I've gotta stop this habit.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

OJB4 wrote:Nice collection. I can't wait until my forms start clearing! It's time to start getting some hosts though. Only have 22 hosts so far and have 9 non-22 caliber cans coming in the near future.

Suggestions??? all calibers really. The other 9 cans pretty much cover every caliber out there. I still have some time since only the 5.56/.223 cans are actually pending. Still need hosts for those too though....only have 1 AR thus far. I'm not interested in SBR's just yet though. Wanna learn more about the laws before I dive into that. Don't wanna cross the lines like discussed above.
Laws aren't hard at all.

No rifle buffer tubes on a pistol or thats an SBR)you just took the stock off). Using a pistol buffer tube negates that issue since you can't attach a stock to it.

If you travel out of your state you need to submit a 5320.20 to the ATF for approval.

If you registered it with a 5" 9mm and you sell said 5" 9mm barrel you need to update the ATF with the new configuration that the SBR is in. As long as you keep the registered configuration then there is no need to notify the ATF about it current configuration because it is not a PERMANENT change.

I think thats about it for issues with SBR's.
No2sc2
Senior Silent Operator

Post by No2sc2 »

Yeah only pistol buffer ONLY ON A VIRGIN pistol lower. You can't take a rifle lower and slap a pistol buffer on it. It has to be borned as a pistol lower that was NEVER registered as a RIFLE. If you bought a lower at a store and they checked it as a "rifle", you can't put a pistol buffer and call it a day.