How do you get in touch directly with your examiner ?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

onate210
Silent Operator

How do you get in touch directly with your examiner ?

Post by onate210 »

I've seen some people mention that they have spoken to there examiner, specifically that there examiner would contact them directly ( via phone or email)

My question is how does one go about being in this position ?

If you ask to speak to them, do you not run the risk of them finding you annoying, or simply catching them on a bad day and them put your application at the bottom of the pile ?

Im sure I will continue to submit NFA applications and having some sort of relationship with your examiner could only be helpful.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Re: How do you get in touch directly with your examiner ?

Post by Abiqua »

Call the ATF and ask the person who answers the phone to speak with your examiner. They will ask why and you will need to have a reasonable need. For instance, my dealer hadn't received my approved Form 4 more than 30 days after approval and I spoke directly with my examiner to get it resolved.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

onate210 wrote:I've seen some people mention that they have spoken to there examiner, specifically that there examiner would contact them directly ( via phone or email)

If you ask to speak to them, do you not run the risk of them finding you annoying, or simply catching them on a bad day and them put your application at the bottom of the pile ?

Im sure I will continue to submit NFA applications and having some sort of relationship with your examiner could only be helpful.
This will not end well if pursued. Let this thought begin and end in this thread, please. If you have a legitimate problem that only your examiner can help you with (as determined by the person at the ATF who answers the phone---not you) then they will decide that you need to speak to your examiner. Otherwise, just. No.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

Unobtanium wrote:
onate210 wrote:I've seen some people mention that they have spoken to there examiner, specifically that there examiner would contact them directly ( via phone or email)

This will not end well if pursued. Let this thought begin and end in this thread, please. If you have a legitimate problem that only your examiner can help you with (as determined by the person at the ATF who answers the phone---not you) then they will decide that you need to speak to your examiner. Otherwise, just. No.
This x1000. Leave them alone and let them work.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I heard if you send them candy and flowers and drive by there house and leave notes on there car window they will totally get your stuff done faster.

I.E. Building a relation ship with your examiner = STALKING

Don't be THAT GUY
onate210
Silent Operator

Post by onate210 »

M40A1308M wrote:I heard if you send them candy and flowers and drive by there house and leave notes on there car window they will totally get your stuff done faster.

I.E. Building a relation ship with your examiner = STALKING

Don't be THAT GUY
LOL didnt mean trying to be invited to his dinner table on thanksgiving, just thought it would be handy for them to be willing to reach out directly to you if theres an issue with your application.

I never would have thought it would be a good idea to be annoying them about your application, just curious how some have gotten to the point of there examiner updating them on there application status.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

They contact dealer with a letter if there is an issue. If your check was cashed just sit back and wait.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

Send them a Christmas card, lunatic. :lol:

I've never thought of stalking an examiner...
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

markm wrote:Send them a Christmas card, lunatic. :lol:
Why wait for Christmas? Al Hijra, the muslim new year, is right around the corner.

Make sure it's home made.

Paper from a fertilizer bag is nice and sturdy. I find my reloading bench is an excellent work surface for things like bill paying and postal tasks, it should serve nicely for making cards to send to federal agents. Also, be sure to include some pictures of the ammo stash you've set aside for when the can arrives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

All though I did give it a thought to stalking the agent that did our audit on our shop she was hot and not afraid to show it off.
Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shamrock-MP »

That office is subject to a high level of scrutiny. I do not think that any examiner would put themselves in a position where their integrity/credibility could be questioned for either negative or positive influence on any specific application.

I have called to request guidance on procedural issues or status updates, they have always been very helpful. There was only been one time that I needed to speak to an examiner. In this instance I still regret that I had to take time away from their administrative duties. Note: I contacted my local ATF office first, they suggested I contact the NFA office directly.
Abiqua wrote:Call the ATF, you will need to have a reasonable need. For instance, my dealer hadn't received my approved Form 4 more than 30 days after approval and I spoke directly with my examiner to get it resolved.
Don't be overly anxious to resolve an issue that may not exist. This is an acceptable example of why and when you may need to make contact.
66427vette wrote:They contact dealer with a letter if there is an issue. If your check was cashed just sit back and wait.
This is better.
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
ERMaag

Post by ERMaag »

I also wouldn't suggest calling them and compliment them on their house decorations or their choice of a bed spread...
WC
Silent But Deadly

Post by WC »

doubloon wrote:
markm wrote:Send them a Christmas card, lunatic. :lol:
Make sure it's home made
Be sure to mail a copy of your Hallmark Form 1 :D
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

onate210 wrote:
For the tens of thousands of people they deal with every year, even if you tried you would never get on first name basis or have them recognize your name 1 second after they look at your form.

They approve tens of thousands of forms every year, you may submit 10-20 in a year(depending on the size of your Trust Fund), that won't even register on their radar.

I will tell you that if you call constantly to check status they will learn your name and in that regard you are better of being just another Form.

Leave them be, let them do their job, because they could be on the phone resolving a real issue from someone that NEEDS to be spoken to about their form not just making sure everything is OK.

Not trying to be harsh or anything, just being realistic.

If you need to build a relationship build one with your SOT, you know you will be back for more goodies mine as well be on good terms with him.
onate210
Silent Operator

Post by onate210 »

Yeah I wasnt planning on trying to talk to my examiner, more curiosity than anything else.

I've actually been holding back from even calling in to check the status of my transfer because Id rather not be a distraction. I figure every minute they spend answering questions is time they arent spending approving transfers :D
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

onate210 wrote:Yeah I wasnt planning on trying to talk to my examiner, more curiosity than anything else.

I've actually been holding back from even calling in to check the status of my transfer because Id rather not be a distraction. I figure every minute they spend answering questions is time they arent spending approving transfers :D
One of the secretaries would be the one to give you your status, its what they are there for, that and to direct calls to examiners.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

Bendersquint wrote:
onate210 wrote:Yeah I wasnt planning on trying to talk to my examiner, more curiosity than anything else.

One of the secretaries would be the one to give you your status, its what they are there for, that and to direct calls to examiners.
I have called a couple of times, and each time speak to a different person. I have never needed to---or wanted to---speak to my examiner.

Like you said, they speak to so many people that if they remember who YOU are, and you're not the purchasing agent or something for a massive agency, then they remember you for reasons that you wish they didn't.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

:mrgreen:
M40A1308M wrote:All though I did give it a thought to stalking the agent that did our audit on our shop she was hot and not afraid to show it off.