Dedicated 38 special rifle

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Dedicated 38 special rifle

Post by smilner01 »

Does anyone make a dedicated 38 special rifle? What would be the optimal twist rate?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Dedicated 38 special rifle

Post by Bendersquint »

smilner01 wrote:Does anyone make a dedicated 38 special rifle? What would be the optimal twist rate?
Not at this time.

The closest you can get right now is the Ruger 77/357.
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

There is a marlin 1894c cowboy competition that is chambered in 38 special. They are kinda pricey and hard to find.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

Not exactly a dedicated 38 but Handi Rifle 357 mag shoots .38's just fine and it is cheap.
Damn Emilio kept posting his and I ended up get'n one myself. Got the barrel cut & threaded to 16in.

Here is a pic of mine with a Trident9 on it sitting below my Savage FVSR with Spectre for size reference. Man it sounds great too. I wasn't wanting to spend lever action kind of money so I got this.
T_Tactical
Senior Silent Operator

Post by T_Tactical »

I have a Rossi ranch hand in 357/38 that I shoot suppressed. It's scary quiet.
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

I have a ranch hand I will be having threaded, but I was wondering if there would even be any advantage in accuracy to have it dedicated to 38? I found some 38 special barrel blanks from green mountain, but that is beyond my capability and probably expensive.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

smilner01 wrote:I have a ranch hand I will be having threaded, but I was wondering if there would even be any advantage in accuracy to have it dedicated to 38? I found some 38 special barrel blanks from green mountain, but that is beyond my capability and probably expensive.
the only advantage there would be for it is if you were solely going to shoot 38SPL and NEVER 357Mag.

With the 38SPL(similar to 44Spl) there is a slight bullet jump from the case to the rifling, that jump can destroy accuracy.

I would say if you never intend to shoot 357 then rebarrel it and call it a day.
rugerglocker
Silent Operator

Post by rugerglocker »

Where are you guys getting your "ranch hands" threaded?
T_Tactical
Senior Silent Operator

Post by T_Tactical »

rugerglocker wrote:Where are you guys getting your "ranch hands" threaded?
I had mine threaded 1/2x28 by M&M Gunsmithing but I personally wouldn't use him again. He told me it would be a 2 week turn around, it turned into over 2 months. When I got the rifle back he shortened the mag tub and threaded the barrel and his work looked excellent. The only problem was the threads weren't taken down enough and nothing would thread on it over 1/8" inch before it was too tight to turn.

When I contacted him about it he said the threads were correct and everything else I tried were obviously threaded wrong. So I asked him if he thought two pistons from two different silencer manufacturers along with 2 flash hiders and 1 break I tried not to mention several thread protectors were all wrong and he told me they were.

I knew then he was an idiot so instead of arguing with him about it I spent $12 on a 1/2x28 adjustable die and went over his threads removing just a little bit of material and everything worked fine after that.
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

Quiet, accurate, & hard hitting load in a 38 case... 250 grn gas checked hunters specialty bullet w/5.6 gr american select, loaded to magnum OAL (just fit in the magazine on my 77/357).

They're so quiet... I still giggle when i touch off the first few rounds. :D
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

jandbj wrote:Quiet, accurate, & hard hitting load in a 38 case... 250 grn gas checked hunters specialty bullet w/5.6 gr american select, loaded to magnum OAL (just fit in the magazine on my 77/357).

They're so quiet... I still giggle when i touch off the first few rounds. :D
jandbj - where are you getting 250gr gas check .38 special bullets? also - is your 77/357 factory 1:18 twist? I'm guessing a 250gr .38 special bullet must be close to an inch long and at that length the greenhill formula says it would be close to the limits of what a factory 1:18 twist would support.
T_Tactical wrote:I had mine threaded 1/2x28 by M&M Gunsmithing but I personally wouldn't use him again. He told me it would be a 2 week turn around, it turned into over 2 months. When I got the rifle back he shortened the mag tub and threaded the barrel and his work looked excellent. The only problem was the threads weren't taken down enough and nothing would thread on it over 1/8" inch before it was too tight to turn.

When I contacted him about it he said the threads were correct and everything else I tried were obviously threaded wrong. So I asked him if he thought two pistons from two different silencer manufacturers along with 2 flash hiders and 1 break I tried not to mention several thread protectors were all wrong and he told me they were.

I knew then he was an idiot so instead of arguing with him about it I spent $12 on a 1/2x28 adjustable die and went over his threads removing just a little bit of material and everything worked fine after that.
MikeMcClellan at M&M has done good work for me, sorry to hear that your experience was not positive. I sent Mike the barrel frmo my Rossi ranch hand for threading and did the rest of the mag tube and assembly work. Was pleased with his threading work, so sent him a guide gun to cut down and while it took a bit, i thought his prices were extremely fair and the quality of the work was very good. He also rethreaded a savage barrel that had been improperly threaded by another shop and i'm getting sub-moa from it now with suppressor attached so threading and crown work is good. Pics of his work for me are below

Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

I'll see your trident and raise you a Mystic!

Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
rugerglocker
Silent Operator

Post by rugerglocker »

jaredr,
how did you mount that dot?
I'm guessing you just drilled and tapped for a short pic rail?
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

rugerglocker wrote:jaredr,
how did you mount that dot?
I'm guessing you just drilled and tapped for a short pic rail?
correct.
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

Factory 77/357 barrel. Bullets are bought from hunters as unchecked 247's, add your own gas check. Some more info the the 300 Blk killer thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77685