Cleaning my .22 can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

RyanMerrick
Silent Operator

Cleaning my .22 can

Post by RyanMerrick »

Ok, what is the "most" effective way to clean the carbon buildup and some of the lead deposits from my outback2? I have put about 1000 rounds through it.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Send it back to GemTech .... :lol:

Just kidding! :D

Seriously, have you considered getting an ultrasonic cleaner? You need to be careful with the mix in the tank but, I'm going to go that route. L&R has one at Midway for $400 but, I'm probably going to a little larger and get a Crest at ~$700 with the heat and lubricating tank.
RyanMerrick
Silent Operator

Post by RyanMerrick »

what about eds red? or kroil? will those work? anything else that i dont know about
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

The lead build up is the hard part to remove. The normal carbon cutting stuff works, just make sure it doesn't eat aluminum.
SwampGator
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampGator »

Last edited by SwampGator on Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." - Sophocles
robino
Silent But Deadly

Post by robino »

i thought leaving it in some solvent overnight was a good way to clean them...

how many rnds. before cleaning a can is recommended?

in other words, BEFORE lead deposits, how often should it be cleaned/soaked in solvent?
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

kroil won't do much but remove some of the carbon and the loose stuff in the can. ATF might work as it has some pretty strong detergents and is safe for Al.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

NOTHING will get the cooked on lead out exept for blasting or scraping. If you can't take the can apart use a oversize borebrush to clean the suppressor.
robino
Silent But Deadly

Post by robino »

so cleaning it often won't prevent cooked on lead?

how often is recommended as to not allow lead deposit?
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

IMHO you shouldn't worry about lead buildup until you've fired 10K+ rounds. There's not that much lead being peeled off each round.
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

I own 3 rimfire suppressors and they can all disassemble for cleaning. I also encountered problems with lead and powder residue cooking on the baffles. I was unable to find any solvent to remove it so I turned to a wire wheel and finally got it clean. I found it quite a chore.

My dealer suggested that I give it a spray of Breakfree CLP prior to each use. I found that the Breakfree vaporized during firing and seemed to coat the inside of the can. It not only made the can a little quieter, but it prevented the lead and powder from cooking on. The lead and powder seems to turn into a sludge that will wipe away with a paper towel. Granted, the lubricant will grab more stuff, but it won’t cook on to the baffles, and makes the cleaning process much easier.
I have attached a photo of some of the baffles to show you. To make the point, I show how the residue wipes off with a Q-tip. A one second spray is all it takes.

If I owned a new sealed 22 can, I would give it a squirt of Breakfree prior to each use and between each 25 rounds. This would keep the residue moist and after every 500-1000 rounds I would run a bottle brush through it and wash it out in a parts cleaner. If a parts cleaner wasn’t available I would use one of those things that looks like a turkey baster made for adding acid to a battery and flush it out in a pan of your favorite solvent that will dissolve powder residue.

robino
Silent But Deadly

Post by robino »

what's with all the washers...?

8)
bgrayd
Silent But Deadly

Yes, actually...

Post by bgrayd »

I'm curious which one is pictured with that type of baffle? :?:

Brett
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Re: Yes, actually...

Post by Ron of Va »

bgrayd wrote:I'm curious which one is pictured with that type of baffle? :?:

Brett

The photo I posted shows the baffles from my John's Guns suppressor. It was supposed to show how a mix of Breakfree CLP, gunpowder residue, and lead do not cook on the baffles. It forms a kind of a sludge that can be wiped off. I assume that the lead could be washed out of the can, because it has not bonded. When lead melts onto the side of the baffle, it sticks like solder and is just as hard to scrape off. Breakfree prevents it from bonding.
MrPhotoGuyInc
Silent But Deadly

Post by MrPhotoGuyInc »

ultrasonic-cleaners on ebay dirt cheap

http://search.ebay.com/ultrasonic-cleaner
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Gun specific ultrasonic cleaners have specific features in them that these cheap ones don't seem to have. Buyer beware on Ebay.
robino
Silent But Deadly

Post by robino »

one of them $250 ones should suffice then?
the heated 2.5 gallon ones?

what kind of cleanser goes inside one?
jackal2001
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackal2001 »

SWR specifically states on the Warlock PDF that:

Do not use an ultrasonic cleaner on any aluminum suppressor. Doing so will damage the finish and attack the aluminum internals components.

The Warlock is not designed to be disassembled by the end user. At intervals of approximately 500 rounds it is recommended that the suppressor be submerged in WD-40® or Kroil®. Allow the suppressor to soak as long as possible. Once removed the suppressor should be left to drain thread end down. Compressed air may be used to blow out the remaining oil

I don't know about whatever can you have, but if I were you to call the manufacture and ask them about ultrasonic cleaners first.
RyanMerrick
Silent Operator

Post by RyanMerrick »

I called gemtech, and the man on the phone recomended a new product called Gunzilla. Its all natural and is made out of plants. He said that it is compleatly safe to use on an aluminum silencer. I apperantly disolves the powder and the wax residue on the bullets that gets layered in the can along with all of the lead. He described it as a sandwich of lube and lead that layers up in the can. If the solvent will disolve the wax, then wouldnt it take out the lead that is in between the layers.
MrPhotoGuyInc
Silent But Deadly

Post by MrPhotoGuyInc »

found some Gunzilla on ebay will order a bottle and see how it works.. :D

Here a ebay link just got 4 bottles

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0122642101
Last edited by MrPhotoGuyInc on Wed May 23, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackal2001
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackal2001 »

Someone else recommended it when I was asking about just cleaning out leaded .22 barrels. They said it really works with a bore brush and that product.

I would give it a shot. You would probably have to soak it in it for a night.

MidwayUSA carries it.
jackal2001
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackal2001 »

I just got this reply from gunzilla. I asked if it would eat aluminum, but this is the response I got.

Many thanks for your interest in Gunzilla "The world's best gun cleaner". Gunzilla will clean any metal surface. It also can remain on any metal surface for an indefinite period of time without harming the metal. Gunzilla does not attack metal it only cleans and protects metal. Also, Gunzilla does not evaporate so you only need to coat the area you want to clean.

Gunzilla will soften some household plastics if it is left on the surface in the liquid form for an extended period of time. Once Gunzilla is wiped dry the coating left behind will not harm any plastics including a plastic it might soften in the liquid form. We have not found any weapon polymer that Gunzilla harms.

Gunzilla can be used to clean o rings but there are some o rings that Gunzilla will swell if it is left on the o ring for an extended period of time in the liquid form. However once Gunzilla is wiped dry it will not harm any o ring.

Hopefully this information answers your questions and please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Don Kettles
FALCON 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by FALCON 1 »

I have 3 .22cal cans. I got so fed up with the scraping issues that when my last 10/22 integral from David Saylors came with his monolithic baffle which is a one piece set up I asked him to do my external can as well as another Ruger MK11 from John's Gun the same way.

Clean up now consists of pulling the one piece system out of the tube with a special tool. I clean the baffle in 5 mins using Hoppes.No.9 and a toothbrush. I used Tractor grease in the tube as well as the baffle coating and presto I am all done in about 10 minutes.

Anyone wanting to contact David to re do their system email me for specifics at [email protected]

I almost got turned off due to the cleaning issues with the .22 cal but his system makes it a pleasure.

FALCON 1
" AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A GENTLE ONE"
barnes
Senior Silent Operator

Post by barnes »

Ordered a .22 kit for a M-16 with a Surefire suppresor. Willl shoot alot of lead full auto. Should I get a different suppressor or are the cleaning methods described here sufficient to avoid excessive buildup in the sealed surefire? I want a suppressor to shoot extensive amounts of ammo through without cleaning every magazine.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cleaning my .22 can

Post by Ben B. »

RyanMerrick wrote:Ok, what is the "most" effective way to clean the carbon buildup and some of the lead deposits from my outback2? I have put about 1000 rounds through it.
I'd suggest that you follow the directions in the GemTech pamphlet, which are similar to the SWR Warlock directions. Then, if I were you, I'd think about something else and stop worrying about it altogether. It's a non-issue unless you shot the 1,000 rounds in a week, and plan more of the same. If you bought it for a FA platform, I'd suggest that you plan on buying a high volume, disassemble-able can.
Last edited by Ben B. on Sat May 26, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.