What happens if a dealer goes out of business.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

patwa

What happens if a dealer goes out of business.

Post by patwa »

Got to ask, as a friend and I have cans pending at a dealer and for the last couple of weeks we have not been able to contact them. Answering machine initially, but just tried to call and only rang and rang. Needless to say we are a little concerned. The wait is bad enough but now this. If they would have gone out of business, where would we stand?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: What happens if a dealer goes out of business.

Post by Historian »

patwa wrote:Got to ask, as a friend and I have cans pending at a dealer and for the last couple of weeks we have not been able to contact them. Answering machine initially, but just tried to call and only rang and rang. Needless to say we are a little concerned. The wait is bad enough but now this. If they would have gone out of business, where would we stand?
Ouch!

Hopefully some of the gray beards here can offer some sound advice.

And this raises the issue of what prevents a Silencer maker from being paid directly and then sending it
to your regional dealer after you have been approved. Eliminates the middle man
and you local man gets $50.00 for his transfer. Similar to buying arms with licensed dealer to dealer.

Sincerest wishes for your constructing a successful resolution.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

If a dealer goes out of business best case scenario is BATFE fast tracks their pending transfers and you get something early.

If the dealer is a sole proprietor then when the FFL is gone all inventory becomes his personal guns and he proceeds to transfer from himself to you.

Worst case he never started the paperwork and you have no proof of ownership and he is keeping your money and silencer.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
patwa

Post by patwa »

An update on this. It is soon going to be six months since the ATF check was cashed(9/17). I tried a couple different ways to contact the dealer who has the can, with no success. I called the ATF and the application was sent to the examiner last week, so it should clear soon. I asked about the situation and he transferred me to someone and I got a recording. I left a message explaining things and left my contact information. I am trying to remember who was on the recording and I keep thinking it was Siviero, but she is not over Louisiana. In any case, I do have the state approval paper, so ownership has been established.
I will post when I get the answer from the ATF.
Last edited by patwa on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

ATF will not get involved "it is a civil matter". Good luck.
Chris88

Post by Chris88 »

patwa wrote:An update on this. It is soon going to be six months since the ATF check was cashed(9/17). I tried a couple different ways to contact the dealer who has the can, with no success. I called the ATF and the application was sent to the examiner last week, so it should clear soon. I asked about the situation and he transferred me to someone and I got a recording. I left a message explaining things and left my contact information. I am trying to remember who was on the recording and I keep thinking it was Siviero, but she is not over Louisiana. In any case, I do have the state approval paper, so ownership has been established.
I am in the same boat kind of. I placed the order with them in Oct for two suppressors $750.00. They did not place the order. Now I am getting paper work from the Bankruptcy court. I have to call one dectative to make a police report. And get in touch with the backruptcy lawer. But I can't them to return calls :evil: If you want I can PM you what I have. If this is the same place 10-8 tactual.
patwa

Post by patwa »

Chris88, different establishment, my dealer was in Lafayette. Your story sounds worse than mine. Hope things work out for you. I tried to look up 10-8 and their website is down. While I was on the computer I went and checked and my dealer's website is still up. I figured what the hell and called their phone number and actually got the answering machine. That made me hopeful that they will call back in the next few days.
Chris88

Post by Chris88 »

patwa wrote:Chris88, different establishment, my dealer was in Lafayette. Your story sounds worse than mine. Hope things work out for you. I tried to look up 10-8 and their website is down. While I was on the computer I went and checked and my dealer's website is still up. I figured what the hell and called their phone number and actually got the answering machine. That made me hopeful that they will call back in the next few days.
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
piglatinhater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by piglatinhater »

Good luck, both of you!
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

patwa wrote:Chris88, different establishment, my dealer was in Lafayette. Your story sounds worse than mine. Hope things work out for you. I tried to look up 10-8 and their website is down. While I was on the computer I went and checked and my dealer's website is still up. I figured what the hell and called their phone number and actually got the answering machine. That made me hopeful that they will call back in the next few days.
PM me. I'm in the same boat with likely the same dealer. And my form 4 should be at his shop by now. Pisses me off to say the least! He also owes me for an element 2 that I don't think he ever ordered from a year ago!!!!!
I've gotta stop this habit.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

patwa wrote:An update on this. It is soon going to be six months since the ATF check was cashed(9/17). I tried a couple different ways to contact the dealer who has the can, with no success. I called the ATF and the application was sent to the examiner last week, so it should clear soon. I asked about the situation and he transferred me to someone and I got a recording. I left a message explaining things and left my contact information. I am trying to remember who was on the recording and I keep thinking it was Siviero, but she is not over Louisiana. In any case, I do have the state approval paper, so ownership has been established.
Siviero is doing Louisiana now!
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Yep. That's who signed off on my forms last week.
I've gotta stop this habit.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

WTF is up with these rogue dealers? :x
Condolences fellas, hope things work out for ya.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

cyclone72 wrote:WTF is up with these rogue dealers? :x
In tough times dealers come and go. I do hope that it works out for these guys.
Chris88

Post by Chris88 »

Kramer wrote:
cyclone72 wrote:WTF is up with these rogue dealers? :x
In tough times dealers come and go. I do hope that it works out for these guys.
The smart dealers will stay on business. I know one he stocked up before the shf. For me every thing is tied up in court. I had to write a letter to the credit card company telling them what happened. Trying to get a police report and call the attorney. It was pass the 190 days so they need to review it. It was my first time buying suppressors what a way to start. I did order some more suppressors from another dealer. I should get my stamps in mid June.
patwa

Post by patwa »

"ATF will not get involved "it is a civil matter". "

66427vette, maybe you know. I was thinking about this. When it clears, I will be the registered owner of that can. I am not supposed to let anyclass III of my posession. Am I responsible for that suppressor? Should the ATF at least know that I am not in posession of it?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

patwa wrote:"ATF will not get involved "it is a civil matter". "

66427vette, maybe you know. I was thinking about this. When it clears, I will be the registered owner of that can. I am not supposed to let anyclass III of my posession. Am I responsible for that suppressor? Should the ATF at least know that I am not in posession of it?
I think that there is another venue for you to take to ensure that if the dealer or his cohorts use the suppressor
that BATF has registered to you that you are not held "catch-22" criminally responsible.

Contact your Senators and each of your Congresspeople to get them involved. The seriousness
of your circumstances makes it mandatory that they send letters to the head of BATF and
to galvanize them to action. Post haste.

And again who here has information on what prevents suppressor makers from having
a direct 'sales office' for buyers. Guarantee they would be mega reliable.

Good luck and get your Senators involved.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

People I know this happened to had to have an attorney step in. ATF Will not get involved. The dealer that has this item can even cancel the transfer if he wants. If he plays hardball you will need to go to court. Another I know guy ended up calling ATF to cancel the transfer himself deciding it was not worth time and money for a 300. 22 can. I see this all the time lots of shady dealers around me.
patwa

Post by patwa »

My friend who also had a can pending with them just got the call. They are honoring their pending orders. Good news indeed.
patwa

Post by patwa »

I got the call two days ago and picked my can up yesterday. Everyone I have talked to who had something pending with them got their stuff. Happy ending to this story.
Chris88

Post by Chris88 »

patwa wrote:I got the call two days ago and picked my can up yesterday. Everyone I have talked to who had something pending with them got their stuff. Happy ending to this story.
I am glade yall had a happy ending. The store that went out of business gave back the stuff that the customers had in the store. But they are not giving back the money for things that was suppose to be order. So my fight goes on.
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

this one thing is exsactly why i do business with one dealer here in houston. This is the main reason i do business with them even though they arent the cheapest.i think people out to save a little bit of money run the chance of dealing with way more hassle.
Chris88

Post by Chris88 »

ericlw wrote:this one thing is exsactly why i do business with one dealer here in houston. This is the main reason i do business with them even though they arent the cheapest.i think people out to save a little bit of money run the chance of dealing with way more hassle.
Not all of the time the shop I was dealing with was a big shop.
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

Whats anyclass III?

Class III is a rate of taxation, not a person place or thing.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Technically and legally until the dealer signs the approved items out of his bound book he is legally the owner, even with an approved stamp in hand. The transaction is completed when it is signed out of the bound book.

It can be cancelled by the SOT at any point up to signing it out of his book.

You are not responsible for anything until you have signed for the item via 4473.