Quietest 9mm ammo to run through a can...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Docboy

Quietest 9mm ammo to run through a can...

Post by Docboy »

I'm a new can owner and just received my stamps for a Silencerco Sparrow and Osprey in 9mm.

I initially tried a Glock 19, but after reading and seeing the data on the Sig P226, I purchased that pistol to have the quietest host.

Now I'm trying to find the quietest ammo...

I've heard Alabama Arms Special K is the quietest, but I cannot find it. So far I've tried the follow ammo loads (all 147's except as noted): American Eagle, Winchester, Fiocchi, Fiocchi 158's, HPR EMCON, Magtech, Federal Target, UMC, Remington, and Speer Lawman. To my ears, Fiocchi 158's and the HPR EMCON were the quietest, with the HPR EMCON beating the Fiocchi by a small margin. The rest of the rounds were noticeably louder.

I've seen tests with a subset of these rounds, but nothing more extensive. Is anyone aware of a more complete chart of guns and ammo suppression tests that were metered for actual dB's?

Do others have additional data or have found quieter rounds?

Thanks!
Docboy

Re: Quietest 9mm ammo to run through a can...

Post by Docboy »

BTW - I've searched these forums and have found the Fiocchi and Special K recommended, as well as a few tests of a couple brands, but nothing more extensive. Forgive me if I've missed this topic already being fully covered and closed.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Easy.

Fiocchi 158 is the quiestet commercially loaded ammo for suppressed use. Its night and day with 147grn.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Fireman1291 wrote:Easy.

Fiocchi 158 is the quiestet commercially loaded ammo for suppressed use. Its night and day with 147grn.

This in general.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

+1

Besides handloads, Fiocchi 158gr is as quiet as it gets.
Docboy

Post by Docboy »

Thanks for the reply. To the three that stated Fiocchi 158 is the quietest, have you compared to the HPR?

The Fiocchi 158 also seemed to result in a large amount of powder sprayed back at me while shooting through the can. Is this normal?
John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

Another vote for Fiocchi 158gr. Big difference compared to the 147gr. Got some handloads that get scary quiet as well.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Fiocchi is definitely the only choice for factory loads. My favorite handload is a 158 grain plated flat point designed for the 357/38 over a charge of Bullseye. Stupid quiet in my XDM
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill every person you meet."
qballis
Silent Operator

Post by qballis »

sarthree
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sarthree »

Fireman1291 wrote:Easy.

+1
towerofpower93
Silent Operator

Post by towerofpower93 »

weaponsloader wrote:Fiocchi is definitely the only choice for factory loads. My favorite handload is a 158 grain plated flat point designed for the 357/38 over a charge of Bullseye. Stupid quiet in my XDM
How much Bullseye are you using and what's your OAL? I like my 147 round nose reloads, but I'm thinking about picking up some 158s to see how quiet I can get while still cycling the pistol.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Sorry for the crappy photography. I seat to 1.17 and use 3.3 grains of bullseye. I've never chrono'd the load but its plenty accurate and works well in MY guns. The Berry's plated 158 grain flat point bullet are cheap and consistent. Its damn quiet, in my XDM its quieter than the Fiocchi 158.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Quickly becoming one if my favorite hosts:
towerofpower93
Silent Operator

Post by towerofpower93 »

Thanks for the info.

Eric
Docboy

Post by Docboy »

I appreciate the replies. For the folks who stated Fiocchi 158 are the quietest, have any of you compared it to the HMR EMCON? Either measured or informally? To my ears, I think the HMR was a little quieter.
Docboy

Post by Docboy »

To add, what I really would like to see is a spreadsheet of various brands and db's for each. What would be even cooler is to expand the spreadsheet to add different cans and hosts. I wish I had the sound equipment to create this.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Docboy wrote:To add, what I really would like to see is a spreadsheet of various brands and db's for each. What would be even cooler is to expand the spreadsheet to add different cans and hosts. I wish I had the sound equipment to create this.
Here is just one test of ammo's . http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... t-out-quot

I ONLY realod9mm now and very happy with win 231 and 147 gr MG CMJ bullets using Octane 9 ,,,NO bits of stuff in your face like many factory ammo's . ( super nice)

For cheap sub sonic, 145gr Silver bear works good but more dirty and steel jacket and case.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Anyone know of a reasonably priced in-stock source for the 158 gr Fiocchi?
No2sc2
Senior Silent Operator

Post by No2sc2 »

I've done an ear test. Fiocchi was quietest followed by Freedommunition 147gr. Federal eagle is up next and so on. I tested 3 other different subs after eagle and they were really loud do I dont want to list them. This test was done on HK p30 Tirant 9 and Glock 19 Tirant 9.

Fiocchi 158gr is the most expensive one, if you can afford it, go ahead and buy case for $330 shipped.

Freedommunition reloaded 147gr was RIGHT BEHIND IT, I was really really impressed at how similiar it sounded to Fiocchi. So much that I buy them from now on for $240 a case shipped to my place. $90 saving for ammo just as good as fiocchi.

Federal had a noticeably louder pitch sound which I could tell diff from ZFiocchi and Freedom. Its ok ammo, you can find them for $230 a case shipped.

Overall, freedom wins my heart and I will only buy from them! They have the NEW factory loads for $260 shipped but why pay for new casing? The reloaded once fire did just as good and functioned PERFECT for $20 cheaper.

If you don't believe me, buy a couple rounds from Freedom and buy a 50rd box from Fiocchi and load them up alternation fiocchi and freedom. Thats how I did my ear testing as I didn't have pair of host/suppressor.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

eastern_hunter wrote:Anyone know of a reasonably priced in-stock source for the 158 gr Fiocchi?
They're sold out at the moment, but Palmetto State Armory sells Fiocchi 158gr for $14.95 per box of 50.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... of-50.html

I use some subsonic reloads for suppressed plinking, but I like the Fiocchi's the best and have accumulated quite a bit.
streetrod

Post by streetrod »

I have a quick question, trying to understand the myth behind this. I noticed the velocity around 980-990, so I was surprised to hear comments there was a noticeable difference. Does different powers make that different? Also, what are known to be quieter the flat or round nose. I was looking into UNAC with the winchester brand. Maybe I need to do a little more research before I pick up ammo.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

I don't know why more research is needed. Unless you're making your own reloads, Fiocchi is hard to beat.
mshest

Post by mshest »

PPU 158gr with glock 19 and tirant 9m is really quiet
noname

Post by noname »

Docboy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:20 pm To add, what I really would like to see is a spreadsheet of various brands and db's for each. What would be even cooler is to expand the spreadsheet to add different cans and hosts. I wish I had the sound equipment to create this.
I reload 99% of my ammo so cannot offer much on factory loads.

I did see a couple videos where people have tried to compare sound from suppressors. Trouble is the correct sound equipment is $2,500.00+ dollars last time I checked. The sensor needs to be held the same angle and distance from the muzzle to get a comparative reading. This is discounting environmental factors (minimal effect I hear from internet nerds). Trying to use a cell phone Db meter is useless.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

Docboy wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:48 am BTW - I've searched these forums and have found the Fiocchi and Special K recommended, as well as a few tests of a couple brands, but nothing more extensive. Forgive me if I've missed this topic already being fully covered and closed.
PPU and IMI 158 grain are quieter than Fiocchi but not by much.. Stay away from the hideous Federal American Eagle allegedly subsonic 9mm - it is complete crap... loud and doesn't feed perfectly in MP5s.
Just shot some Remimgton 147 gr green box tonight.
It's inexpensive and as quiet as PPU or IMI. It claims 935 fps on the box.
George from Alaska