Noveske barrel threads on CHF/Chrome Lined barrels?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Noveske barrel threads on CHF/Chrome Lined barrels?

Post by Unobtanium »

Do I need to use the spacer provided by Surefire to mount a Surefire suppressor mount? Is the shoulder a true 90* without a thread-relief cut and can you get away with not using the spacer? This is for their FN-made cold hammer forged barrels. I don't know if they thread them in-house or not.

I notice that MSTN uses the spacer on the CHF barrel that Noveske sources to them, FWIW. Is this needed, or do they just use it because it's there?
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Noveske barrel threads on CHF/Chrome Lined barrels?

Post by JasonM »

Unobtanium wrote:Do I need to use the spacer provided by Surefire to mount a Surefire suppressor mount? Is the shoulder a true 90* without a thread-relief cut and can you get away with not using the spacer? This is for their FN-made cold hammer forged barrels. I don't know if they thread them in-house or not.

I notice that MSTN uses the spacer on the CHF barrel that Noveske sources to them, FWIW. Is this needed, or do they just use it because it's there?

Surefire wants you to use the spacer, I'd use the spacer.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

JasonM wrote:
Unobtanium wrote:Do I need to use the spacer provided by Surefire to mount a Surefire suppressor mount? Is the shoulder a true 90* without a thread-relief cut and can you get away with not using the spacer? This is for their FN-made cold hammer forged barrels. I don't know if they thread them in-house or not.

Surefire has said that if there is no radius to the barrel shoulder (totally flat, 90*), and there is no thread relief, and the back of the mount is roughly the same size as the barrel so that it pins the spacers against the barrel instead of bending them around it like on a thinner barrel when it is tq'ed down, that the spacer is superfluous. I have 3 already assembled uppers with Noveske CHF barrels and do not know if they were threaded in this way or not because they are already equipped with muzzle devices. I am trying to determine if they need work, or not.

I sent pictures of several Noveske CHF barrels to Garin Lee of Surefire that I found on Rainier Arms website, and some he said needed the spacer, and some he said did not, so I don't know which one I personally have, or if Noveske does the threads themselves of if FN does, or if Noveske threads their CHF barrels differently, or changed recently how they do it, or what. I have a 12.5, 10.5, and 14.5".
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Unobtanium wrote:
JasonM wrote:

Surefire has said that if there is no radius to the barrel shoulder (totally flat, 90*), and there is no thread relief, and the back of the mount is roughly the same size as the barrel so that it pins the spacers against the barrel instead of bending them around it like on a thinner barrel when it is tq'ed down, that the spacer is superfluous. I have 3 already assembled uppers with Noveske CHF barrels and do not know if they were threaded in this way or not because they are already equipped with muzzle devices. I am trying to determine if they need work, or not.

I sent pictures of several Noveske CHF barrels to Garin Lee of Surefire that I found on Rainier Arms website, and some he said needed the spacer, and some he said did not, so I don't know which one I personally have, or if Noveske does the threads themselves of if FN does, or if Noveske threads their CHF barrels differently, or changed recently how they do it, or what. I have a 12.5, 10.5, and 14.5".
It's really hard to tell about specific barrels unless you take off the muzzle devices and look at you r particular shoulder(s).
Kick Ass Design
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

I understand. I am curious how Noveske is threading the current CHF barrels. I don't want to tear apart a new upper and don't have the tools to correctly do it myself. I wonder if ToddK could shed light on it.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

I used the spacers b/c I had them. That said, if you torque down the MD how does it index?

Good luck
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

.300WinMag wrote:I used the spacers b/c I had them. That said, if you torque down the MD how does it index?

Good luck
All of the muzzle devices are already installed without the use of spacers, just shims. I just want to be sure that the way Noveske threads their CHF barrel (if it is threaded in-house?), that this is right. Garin Lee of Surefire saw my 4MOA shift and a picture of the mount installed and commented on the lack of spacer, is the reason for this concern.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

What are you calling shims vs spacers?

In my book the shims from SF of varying thickness with a color code and the little index wheel instructions are spacers.

Mine is a straight shooter with MANY hits from 500 - 1,000

Good luck
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

.300WinMag wrote:What are you calling shims vs spacers?

In my book the shims from SF of varying thickness with a color code and the little index wheel instructions are spacers.

Mine is a straight shooter with MANY hits from 500 - 1,000

Good luck
Shims are for indexing. the spacer is color coded orange and has a beveled inner diameter and is almost as thick as a nickel and to get the shims off of the barrel threads radius.

I spoke with Todd of Noveske and Garin Lee of surefire who spoke to Barry Dueck. All is well with my setup given Noveske's thread specs per Mr. Dueck.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Interesting I have 3 SF MDs and have never seen a spacer.

Good luck
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Unobtanium wrote:I spoke with Todd of Noveske and Garin Lee of surefire who spoke to Barry Dueck. All is well with my setup given Noveske's thread specs per Mr. Dueck.
Good to hear
Kick Ass Design