NV question

Tactical gear.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

NV question

Post by cyclone72 »

What is the photoreciever on a NV monocular? My nv monocular says before moving lens cap,make sure the photoreciever is open. Not sure what it is or if it is open or closed. Need a little help.
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Re: NV question

Post by RWBlue »

What brand?

My world.
Turn off the light.
Turn on the NV.
See that I can see at night. (Lens caps have very small hole in them. I can test the NV in the light or in the dark.)
Remove lens caps and I can see better.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Armasight Spark, thanks.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I have a couple of PVS14s and had a D740, but they don't have such a warning.

I looked up the user manual for yours and didn't notice it when skimming through. Maybe it's got a photocel for adjusting the gain and that's what it's calling the photoreciever.
https://www.armasight.com/night-vision/ ... v6_web.pdf
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Thats odd,in my manual,on page 25 section 3.3.1, the second caution states "Before removing the objective lens cap,verify that the photo receiver is open." Weird. the copyright on my manual is 2012.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:I have a couple of PVS14s and had a D740, but they don't have such a warning.

I looked up the user manual for yours and didn't notice it when skimming through. Maybe it's got a photocel for adjusting the gain and that's what it's calling the photoreciever.
Ah, I miss the ol' PVS-14s. If I could justify the cost I would have one of my own, just can't make myself do it.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

tsands974 wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:I have a couple of PVS14s and had a D740, but they don't have such a warning.

Ah, I miss the ol' PVS-14s. If I could justify the cost I would have one of my own, just can't make myself do it.
http://www.frankies4x4.com/L3PVS14.php
Talk to Frankie ^ He's sometimes got some surprisingly good deals on blems.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

cyclone, I have been looking at various night devices for weeks now. I have given a lot of thought to the Spark. Several online reviews stated that the manual had errors and that the newest .pdf is the most up to date copy of the manual.

I think they copy pasted some info for another model into the manual by mistake.

How do you like your Spark so far? I have been thinking about getting one to play with. All the reviews have been very positive.

I have dug up some of the specs on it, and it ranges into the low end of gen 2. For less than $500 shipped, it seems like a hell of a deal.

But, I would like to get some real world feedback on it. As far as night vision goes, it is pretty cheap. But, it is still $500.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Read the NV beginners guide either on ARFcom or Snipers Hide, then call Vic at TNVC. Gen 2 is passable IF you have extra IR illumination and are cool with shorter range and lower resolution. For many people it is perfectly adequate. However, Gen 3 is worth the cost, whether dedicated scope or PVS-14 w/IR laser. The distinction is real, as are the benefits of Gen 3, but it's definitely a step up in price.

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather spent $3k up front, than $500 here, realize I'm not happy, $1k on Gen 2, still be disappointed, then spend the $3k on Gen 3.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

JohnnyC wrote:Read the NV beginners guide either on ARFcom or Snipers Hide, then call Vic at TNVC. Gen 2 is passable IF you have extra IR illumination and are cool with shorter range and lower resolution. For many people it is perfectly adequate. However, Gen 3 is worth the cost, whether dedicated scope or PVS-14 w/IR laser. The distinction is real, as are the benefits of Gen 3, but it's definitely a step up in price.

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather spent $3k up front, than $500 here, realize I'm not happy, $1k on Gen 2, still be disappointed, then spend the $3k on Gen 3.
^ This (Also, it's possible to spend less than $3K on gen 3 if you shop around)
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

HandyMan wrote:cyclone, I have been looking at various night devices for weeks now. I have given a lot of thought to the Spark. Several online reviews stated that the manual had errors and that the newest .pdf is the most up to date copy of the manual.

I think they copy pasted some info for another model into the manual by mistake.

How do you like your Spark so far? I have been thinking about getting one to play with. All the reviews have been very positive.

I have dug up some of the specs on it, and it ranges into the low end of gen 2. For less than $500 shipped, it seems like a hell of a deal.

But, I would like to get some real world feedback on it. As far as night vision goes, it is pretty cheap. But, it is still $500.
When I get back home from beantown I ll do a write up on it.I haven't even had the opportunity to turn it on yet.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:Read the NV beginners guide either on ARFcom or Snipers Hide, then call Vic at TNVC. Gen 2 is passable IF you have extra IR illumination and are cool with shorter range and lower resolution. For many people it is perfectly adequate. However, Gen 3 is worth the cost, whether dedicated scope or PVS-14 w/IR laser. The distinction is real, as are the benefits of Gen 3, but it's definitely a step up in price.

^ This (Also, it's possible to spend less than $3K on gen 3 if you shop around)
This is true, many can be had for less, and I tend to buy tubes separately making them even less expensive. However, for turn-key solutions including necessary mounts and such I usually throw $3k out there as a general price. I've purchased excellent Omni-IV MX-10160 tubes for $500 before.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

I went this route because it was affordable, consider these training wheels. My next ones wil be genIII.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

What would be a good compatible 1-4 optic to use with this? I'm getting an eotech for it aswell. Is eotech or aimpoint better with use of nv?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

cyclone72 wrote:What would be a good compatible 1-4 optic to use with this? I'm getting an eotech for it aswell. Is eotech or aimpoint better with use of nv?
That's debatable.

I'm not familiar w/ your particular NV, but I use a PVS14 with an Eotech EXPS. The Eotech doesn't narrow the field of view as much as an Aimpoint does. With that said, to some folks, the Eotech reticles (when not used with NV) may appear grainy (maybe due to the users' astigmatism).

But again, the internet is full of Eotech vs Aimpoint arguments. They're both fine sights with which to pair an NV monocular.