AR-500 Armor Plate Package

Tactical gear.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

firstsgtsteiner
Silent Operator

AR-500 Armor Plate Package

Post by firstsgtsteiner »

So I decided to make myself bullet resistant if needed, I decided on getting ar500 steel instead of ceramic for durability and cost. I bought the Operator Plate carrier package from AR500armor.com, total cost was around 310 shipped. Lead time on the order was about a month, I placed it around 12-10-13, and got it today, you can see in one of the pictures that the mfr date was 1-9-14. anyway on to some pictures.
Package as delivered:

Open, really good packing, couldn't hear anything shifting on shaking it.

Plates as packaged:

one of the 6x8 side trauma plates:
fairly thick with the anti-spall coating.
as set up:

Somethings on the carrier I do not like, and I will follow up and add onto this here after I get home from work....

OK the only negative thing I have noticed so far is the side trauma plates, they are 6x8, now the side pockets are 6x6, on the site it explains that the flap extends to accept the extended size plates. Therefore for the same price I got the bigger plates for more coverage. On placing the plates in, I noticed as expected they came above the inside edge about 2 inches. Image

Now the outside (away from the body) flap comes over the plate and secures with velcro.
Its not all that clear, but in the picture above you can kind of see that there is only about a 1/4 inch worth of velcro that is in contact closing the pouch. Its not that secure seeming, and with heavy use or motion I can see them coming undone. I would suggest the 6x6 inch side trauma plates for a better fit.

Over all it is a well constructed setup, the stitching is nice, tight, and heavy. the clips are all heavy polymer and seem like they will hold up well. I will add to this as I wear it around the woods and when I exercise.
Ill add that I got this with the left handed shooters cut and curved plates, also I did not get the up coating, the anti-spall coating is like very very heavy duty rhino lining, for an additional $20 a plate you can get it sprayed with several more coats, but it increases the thickness of the plates by about 1/2 inch.
Last edited by firstsgtsteiner on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: AR-500 Armor Plate Package

Post by doubloon »

Looks nice.

You packing all four? Total added weight 30-35lbs?

If you don't get shot at then at least it's a better workout on the hikes.

Any plans for videoing some tests? I have some candidates to nominate for behind the plates. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
firstsgtsteiner
Silent Operator

doubloon wrote:Looks nice.

You packing all four? Total added weight 30-35lbs?

If you don't get shot at then at least it's a better workout on the hikes.

Any plans for videoing some tests? I have some candidates to nominate for behind the plates. :mrgreen:

Shipping weight was 23 lbs , I didn't think of getting pics of plates on scales, I'm gonna need to add that...
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

The system has better protection than the IIIA soft that I wear, and at about 1/3 the price.

Little heavier, but totally different application. Price point is right.

The back pack type carrier that provides room for other items is a bonus... can be anyway. A two edged sword. Would think a radio, compass/gps, map, couple of energy bars, bottle or two of water, little extra ammo, signaling stuff, and a field level 1st aid kit would be a reasonable load out. Thinking you will be in the 30lb range at lift off. That's workable, but will thinking it will become "noticable", pretty quick. That doesn't count the other stuff you'll be toting. I'm not a fat body, but I'd not want to do the 1-1/2 run with it on. (Could make the distance, but the timers would need to bring their lunch)

I still like this enough that I may just spend some of my sailboat fund on such a set up.

Would like to hear back after a couple hikes. Stability, wearability, weight perception type stuff.

Nice post firstsgtsteiner. Thanks.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

firstsgtsteiner wrote:...
Shipping weight was 23 lbs , I didn't think of getting pics of plates on scales, I'm gonna need to add that...
wow ... a lot lighter than I thought

I like this stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
firstsgtsteiner
Silent Operator

I think I'm gonna take one of the side plates and do some testing on it, 9mm, 5.7x28 steel, and assorted other stuff. I can get another one for 30 bucks so it will not be a total loss of $$ to see what it can do first hand.. Either way once I find a day that doesn't have me in the ER for 14 hours ill get more posted on this!
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Some inpromptu testing on soft BA resulted in a 22lr being most likely to penetrate. The penetration thing is important, but a 12g slug, while exibiting minimal penetration, indicated a point of energy that was probably...debilitating?

Thinking a slug on a plate will not be as "scary".

Looking forward to your testing report.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick