Gunsmith

Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi

Moderator: Fletcher/AAC

Gunsmith

Post by 158120142 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:20 am

I love lever action rifles and I’m also waiting on two suppressors one of which is the octane 45 hd by Silencerco. Chiappa Taylors makes a .357 mag/.38 special lever action take down rifle. There are two problems one is to take down the rifle the ammo tube has to be unscrewed and to do that a lever unfolds at the end of the tube to twist it off which has to be able to clear the end of the barrel to turn and second the ammo tube is almost flush touching the barrel. So my question is does anyone know a gunsmith that could modify it to accept a suppressor? Tornado Technologies told me they don’t work on that model. I live in Auburn, Al but I'm willing to drive or mail if necessary.

AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gunsmith

Post by AlabamaPaul » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:56 am

Check with Scottie at SevenX Armory in Huntsville. He may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:08 am

I can't recomend a Smith, that is a high stakes project and I understand why many would shy away from it. But, there may be an easier option if you like the idea.

Instead of making the magazine tube shorter, extend the barrel with an adapter. If you can get the barrel into a lathe, it is fairly straight forward job to back bore the barrel, thread it with a female thread and then make an adapter that threads into the barrel and that the suppressor threads onto it. Insert can be made permanent or removable, and you don't lessen magazine capacity by shortening tube.

Internal threads will get dirty and erode if shot bare, so I would not shoot it without the insert. Velocity drop from back bore on a pistol caliber rifle would be tiny.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!

Post by 158120142 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:05 am

Thank You so much for the help I think I found a a local smith.