SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:59 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Gunsmith
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:20 am 

I love lever action rifles and I’m also waiting on two suppressors one of which is the octane 45 hd by Silencerco. Chiappa Taylors makes a .357 mag/.38 special lever action take down rifle. There are two problems one is to take down the rifle the ammo tube has to be unscrewed and to do that a lever unfolds at the end of the tube to twist it off which has to be able to clear the end of the barrel to turn and second the ammo tube is almost flush touching the barrel. So my question is does anyone know a gunsmith that could modify it to accept a suppressor? Tornado Technologies told me they don’t work on that model. I live in Auburn, Al but I'm willing to drive or mail if necessary.

BulletFlight for Android
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:56 am 
Silent But Deadly

Check with Scottie at SevenX Armory in Huntsville. He may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:08 am 
Silent But Deadly

I can't recomend a Smith, that is a high stakes project and I understand why many would shy away from it. But, there may be an easier option if you like the idea.

Instead of making the magazine tube shorter, extend the barrel with an adapter. If you can get the barrel into a lathe, it is fairly straight forward job to back bore the barrel, thread it with a female thread and then make an adapter that threads into the barrel and that the suppressor threads onto it. Insert can be made permanent or removable, and you don't lessen magazine capacity by shortening tube.

Internal threads will get dirty and erode if shot bare, so I would not shoot it without the insert. Velocity drop from back bore on a pistol caliber rifle would be tiny.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:05 am 

Thank You so much for the help I think I found a a local smith.